main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[SIG] RMFF Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by JediDragon, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Big thing w/ me and fencing is the whole -1 knee thing... :p I was told the liability would be too high for me to enroll in classes... And all I wanted to do was take a beginning class so I could maybe use the exercises to strengthen my knee, and looking cool while doing it ;) [face_laugh]

2. Doni

Doni Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    Yeah, knees and fencing are always a big issue. That's part of why I stress footwork so much, because solid footwork can help prevent problems.

And looking cool is the best part! Winning a bout isn't as important to me as hearing someone say, "Hey, that looked good."

:)

3. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Footwork is SO important! It's the first thing we teach people.

yeah, footwork is hugely important for ANY martial art, whether karate, boxing, grappling...footwork comes first.

4. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001

I have been privy to viewing a LOT of Fencers and Saber fighters in the SCA, and not once did I ever see them grasp the weapon(s) with two hands as Dooku sometimes did....FLOL!

5. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    lol, well you don't really have room to on a saber/rapier hilt, do you?

6. Doni

Jun 6, 2005
    This gets me thinking about the possibility of off-hand weapons in lightsaber duelling. Off-hand light-dagger? Deflecting buckler?

Getting off topic, I'll stop now...

7. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Most Rapiers were bulky, attacking blades, and some of which were actually classed as "hand-and-a-half" swords, but no, I don't know of any exotic fencing foils that were built for even momentary two-handedness, altho.........many used gloved hands to support their blade off-edge in defensive techniques. Not sure how that would work with lightsabers......"light gloves"????? FLOL!

8. Doni

Jun 6, 2005
    Yeah, using a gloved off-hand to deflect an opponent's blade is also entirely reasonable. But the idea of trying that with a lightsaber makes me shiver. :eek:

9. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2004
    Indeed. That is why I prefer escrima (or sai) in that case. Hmmm, light escrima or sais would be cool...

10. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    There's a Dark Jedi in the Darth Maul comics that had a pair of light-tonfas. I've seen other light-weapons floating around the EU comics. And Durge had the cute little light-shields that popped out of his arm armor.

As for the gloved hand -- cortosis armor, and cortosis non-light weapons could be used to deflect lightsabers in the days of the Old Republic. And I think I remember Shaak Ti blocking a lightsaber hit (in the Clone Wars cartoon) using her hand with the Force, too.

And Tim has a whole set of light-armor. LOL.

11. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Too cumbersome......gotta work on that....FLOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.