main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Significant mirroring between Episode One and Episode Three (Warning: Image Heavy-Slow Loading)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by HevyDevy, Sep 9, 2014.

1. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    No, good observation... I didn't say exactly that, more the eclipse as a representation of Anakin's "closed" destiny relative to Luke's open yearning.

It's here if you want to give it a read :)

Darthman92 likes this.
  2. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016

It's about time I did actually!

Also, thanks for the compliment. :)

3. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Just a detail: I don‘t think that Palpatine needed a queen to iniciate a non-confidence vote. He needed the queen to do that so after this he could be nominated for Chancellor. A brilliant move. If Palpatine himself as senator (and every senator has larger political ambitions, after all) did the proposition for non-confidence vote and after this, he is nominated, who could vote for him? it would look like he just want to take Valorum‘s place, but now he look like the good guy, from the small but heroic siffering planet of Naboo. Etc. Brilliant yet cunning political intrigue, as always.

MarcJordan and HevyDevy like this.
  4. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    And this!

The Chancellor sent the Jedi sent by to "rescue" the blockade situation . But their transport gets blown to bits later.

Shields up! *too late* :_|
    [​IMG]

The Jedi sent to rescue the Chancellor.

Have you noticed the shields are still up?!!!! *shields down successfully* ^:)^

[​IMG]

Cheers!

MJ

5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

You make so many great posts, MarcJordan. :cool: [face_love]

I just wanted to add a unique (hopefully) observation of my own -- something kinda tangential, but, eh...

Look at that gorgeous dashboard in the TPM shot. The first ship we see *inside* of and *out* of is a complex beast, packing buttons, switches, dials, diodes -- even odd levers and display screens.

It feels developed, complex, elaborate, expensive. And it fills the entire width of the frame. A beautiful objet d'art functioning as trenchant metaphor for the series entire.

Also, it visually satisfies a powerful thesis/theorem advanced by Pyrogenic: that we should actually consider watching the saga in "Retro Order", culminating with Episode I, the most "layered" and "realistic" entry in the canon.

QuangoFett, Torib, HevyDevy and 3 others like this.
  6. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Plus I think I posted earlier on this thread...
    TPM - ROTS - ROTJ are quite extensively linked with stuff like this.
    - In Episode One Gunray is expecting the Chancellor's ambassadors. In Episode 3 Palpatine, although the Jedi don't know it, is expecting the Jedi. In Episode 6 the Rebels think it is a sneak attack but again Palpatine is expecting them.
    - Ep1; The TF blockades Naboo on Sidious's orders. Ep3; Grievous attacks Coruscant and "kidnaps" Palpatine, but Sidious is controlling both sides and the Republic stops the Separatist fleet from fleeing, to set up a situation where Anakin will kill Dooku and "rescue" Palpatine.
    Ep6; Palpatine uses himself as bait for the Rebel fleet, trapping them all in a megalomaniacal attempt to turn Luke.

ROTJ
    LANDO: "Well how could they be jamming us if they don't... know if we're coming!"
    "Break off the attack! The shield is still up."
    WEDGE: "I get no reading. Are you sure?"
    LANDO: "Pull up! All craft pull up!"

ROTS
    "Well have you noticed that the shield is still up!"
    "I'm sorry Master!"
    - has a camaraderie related link to -
    ROTJ
    "Han will have that shield down, we've got to give him more time!"

7. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    The whole series could well be about (besides nothing in particular), or defined by (besides nothing in particular), shields and traps and lapses in perception, and two making a whole, and people saving each other's butts, and things going "up" and "down", and yadda, yadda. And I shouldn't have written "butts" and "up" and "down" in consecutive sentences, but I did!

It's quite funny, actually, that Anakin doesn't seem to notice that the shield is still, er, up/active, in the ROTS example. He just seems to forget about it. Anakin, in fact, seems to bungle a bit in that whole opening section (e.g., struggling to free himself from his harness when they land inside the cruiser, in an echo of SRT 5752 crashing the car after fumbling with the controls in "THX-1138", while Obi-Wan effortlessly jumps out and cuts down several Battle Droids in a sweeping move -- something you would have expected Anakin to do). I like those skewed, unexpected things about these movies.

Anyway, yes, as usual, good observations on "the beginning", "the middle", and "the end" of the "Tragedy of Anakin Skywalker" space saga. Something called "Star Wars"? Wait -- how did I get here?

8. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    - Noticed a few more small colour mirrors.

Anakin using his one good pod engine to reactivate the other. His monitor goes from blue to green.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obi-Wan's victory against Maul happens just after Anakin powers back up and destroys the droid-control ship. Notice both involve a transition from red (defeat) to green (victory).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

- Unrelated; One of many links between Padme and Shmi...

ANAKIN (to Shmi): "Will I ever see you again?"
    ANAKIN (about Padme): "I may never see her again, so I came to say goodbye."

- Qui-Gon's recommendation about Obi-Wan, to Yoda, in TPM - "There is little more he can learn from me." - is a little ironic when Yoda and Obi-Wan will commune with Qui-Gon between trilogies to learn identity retention :)

9. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    This is kind of neat...

TPM
    ANAKIN: What are you doing out here in the Outer Rim?
    PADME: Our ship is damaged and we're stranded until we can repair it.
    ROTS
    ANAKIN: I saw your ship. What are you doing out here?
    PADME: I was so worried! Obi-Wan told me terrible things!

Anakin asking Padme the same question twice, first - soon after meeting her and directed at the whole group, second - more personal and when they are about to ultimately part.

Perhaps also ties to Qui-Gon escaping on Padme's Ep1 ship after dueling Maul, then Obi-Wan escaping on Padme's Ep3 ship after dueling Vader. Maybe [face_thinking]

10. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Scratch that, just realised the line was "How did you end up out here" in TPM. Oh well.

MarcJordan likes this.
  11. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    TPM
    QUI-GON: I don't sense anything.
    OBI-WAN: It's not about the mission master. It's something elsewhere, elusive.
    ROTS
    ANAKIN: The Senate demanded he stay longer!
    OBI-WAN: Yes, but use your feelings, something is out of place!

Obi-Wan sensing Sidious x2

12. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    QUI-GON: Remember, your focus determines your reality. Stay close to me and you'll be safe.

PALPATINE: Yes, Anakin, come closer, I have good news.

13. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    TPM
    "I had a dream I was a Jedi."
    ROTS
    "I am becoming more powerful than any Jedi has ever dreamed of."

14. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    See the mirroring between Darth Vader - Master Yoda duel and Obi Wan - Anakin duel.
    Master Yoda is cocky in the duel and has advantage for most of the duel, but Darth Sidious gets "the higher ground" running from Master Yoda.
    Anakin is cocky in the duel and has the advantage for most of the duel, but Obi Wan gets "the higher ground" running from Anakin.
    Master Yoda jumps to attack Darth Sidious but Darth Sidious sends a powerful Force lightning which causes Master Yoda to loose his sword.
    Later, master Yoda falls down and leaves.
    Anakin also jumps to attack Obi Wan - Obi Wan is cutting Anakin hands and legs and Anakin also looses his sword.

The duels are even put in parallel , to show those are mirrored.
    However , Master Yoda do not turns to the dark side, he refuses and flee.
    While Anakin gets sunk even deeper into the dark side, so the mirroring is not complete.

Otherwise, very interesting mirroring ,the Original Poster noticed extremely well.
    George Lucas is a Grand Master for creating all those resembling images.

Pain and Suffering and Tonyg like this.
  15. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    What I like about this is how the problem begins with Sebulba screwing with the engine system in a seemingly small way, which later causes it to come completely unbalanced, overheat, and catch on fire. Anakin then fixes the problem by drawing from the surviving good side and balancing everything out. Just a small little allegory about the entire six-film story hidden away during a bit of "mindless" podracing action.

16. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Don't know which of these I've already posted, but anyway.

TPM
    Qui-Gon: "Patience my blue friend. You'll have your winnings before the suns have set, and we'll be far away from here."
    ROTS
    Sidious: "I have been waiting a long time for this, my little green friend."

Both quotes are Anakin's new master referencing patience and greed in usurping Anakin's old master. Watto->Qui-Gon. Yoda->Sidious.

Watto: "We'll let fate decide, blue the boy, red... his mother."
    Colour significance?

Two transitions foreshadowing Anakin will replace Maul one day:

Obi-Wan: "Even master Yoda doesn't have a midichlorian count that high! What does that mean?"
    Qui-Gon: "I'm not sure."
    *Transition to Maul arriving on Tattooine*

Anakin and Shmi say farewell. Shmi: "Don't look back... don't look back."
    *Transition to Maul receiving their location from a probe-droid*

17. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
  18. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    The Jedi mention "bring(ing) balance to the force" in TPM, indicating the force is already out of balance when we are brought into the story through TPM. Would suggest the galaxy is already dovetailing from an age of prosperity, albeit not yet near the stage indicated when Obi-Wan tells Vader in ROTS he has "(left the force) in darkness!".

Cryogenic likes this.
  19. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    This about Obi Wan and the using of feelings is quite interesting. Obi Wan is the rational Jedi who always relays on thinking and not so much on feeling. Yet there are some crucial moments in PT where he chooses the feelings and then he doesn‘t make mistakes.

Also, HevyDevy you are back!

Cryogenic likes this.
  20. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Bet you never saw this coming! Hevy please do the honours to wrap up this in a nice presentable connection analysis. I'm a bit busy lately. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Must say Obi Wan has moved up in life. He can now sit down. Looking extremely comfortable. :p

GL's genius as planned.

MJ

21. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Perhaps. I haven't felt motivated to post lately. Thanks for the warm welcome :)

MarcJordan and Cryogenic like this.
  22. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Al these help me appreciate the change in tone from TPM to ROTS. I can't upload pictures onto this post but I will say that the mirroring seems to me to serve as juxtaposition, contrasting the light innocence of Episode I (and Anakin) with the darkness of III and it's main character.

"'Weesa going home!' 'Come on Artoo!'"

"'This is the end for you, my master.'"

Tonyg and HevyDevy like this.
  23. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    The Machine and the Maker
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

24. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Like "father", like "son"?

"The boy tells me you want to sponsor him in the race. How can you do this? Not on the Republic credits, I think."
    [​IMG]

"What? How can you do this? This is outrageous, it's unfair. How can you be on the council and not be a master?"
    [​IMG]

(Sorry for the double post.)

25. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Which reminds me of "Come on R2" to "R2 stay with the ship"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excellent.

I never saw that one before.