main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Signs: Is it really happening?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darth_SnowDog, Aug 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    What about that? Does it say that the event itself is entirely fabricated, or that not everyone understood precisely what the cause for these phenomena were?

I think it is the latter.

Think of it this way. You take a bottle of whiskey with a nice pretty elaborate label but no words on it and set it on a table. You get a group of people and position them around the bottle so that they each have a different view. You ask them to describe exactly what they see.

You'll get a different discription each time. Is it mass hysteria because they all don't have the same discription, yet they all swear they were describing a bottle of whiskey with a pretty elaborate label?

2. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    Interesting. Anyone else agree with this?

3. AOTCStarwchic

AOTCStarwchic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2002
    Since this is about UFO's & Alien stuff,I really believe in all of it.I watched a History TV show about UFO's and stuff.There was this one that really got me into believeing.
    ---It was June 6th,1947 they called it the Roswell Incident because it happened in Roswell,New Mexico.Anyway they assume there was an alien/UFO crash in the mountains (which I believe) and when some people went to investigate they found 2 dead bodies and 1 of them was alive and walking with not a scratch or bruise on him.
    ---But what I think is that the Government & Scientists do is just cover it up,pretend nothing happen that way they won't worry anyone. So later what happened to that mountain is that it was a "Restricted Area" and no one could go up to that area.

4. Kuna_Tiori

Kuna_Tiori Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    I've studied cryptozoology (study of animals not yet proven to exist i.e. Bigfoot, Nessie, etc.) for a fair amount of time and the one thing that is unanimous with all the people I talk with about it is, "Dude, it's fake."

Exobiology (study of non-Earth life) is much the same: It's barely a science because its subjects are not even known to exist.

What I always say is this: I KNOW that it COULD be a hoax. But how do you know that it is one? People didn't believe in duckbill platypuses and gorillas and pandas at first, but eventually they were proven to exist.

That's our goal: to prove they exist.

Yes, I know that many supposed "sightings" of ET's were really hoaxes. But that doesn't diminish the possibility that other supposed ET's are really ET's, does it?

5. AOTCStarwchic

AOTCStarwchic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2002
    Theres such thing as cryptozoology ?[face_plain] I didn't even know that was a word.

6. SCOTSSITHLORD

SCOTSSITHLORD Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2002
    Crop circles are right up there with psychics in the top ten gullible frauds of all time. It's been demonstrated on numerous occasions how this phenomenon was faked by very skilled people, with too much time on their hands and a sense of humour.
    I'm certainly not dismissive about the idea of alien life forms, on the balance of probability there's a very good chance there is life out there, but the idea that they're already here amongst us, communicating by way of faked crop circles and the alarmingly freudian rectal probes is quite ludicrous. Signs is every bit as fictional as Braveheart and that's saying something.

7. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    SHANWA, India (AP) -- It comes in the night, a flying sphere emitting red and blue lights that attacks villagers in this poor region, extensively burning those victims it does not kill.

At least that's what panic-stricken villagers say. At least seven people have died of unexplained injuries in the past week in Uttar Pradesh state.

"A mysterious flying object attacked him in the night," Raghuraj Pal said of his neighbor, Ramji Pal, who died recently in Shanwa. "His stomach was ripped open. He died two days later."

Many others have suffered scratches and surface wounds, which they say were inflicted while they slept. In the village of Darra, 53-year-old Kalawati said she was attacked last week and displayed blisters on her blackened forearms.

"It was like a big soccer ball with sparkling lights," said Kalawati, who uses only one name. "It burned my skin. I can't sleep because of pain."

Doctors dismiss the stories as mass hysteria.

"More often than not the victims have unconsciously inflicted the symptoms themselves," said Narrotam Lal, a doctor at King George's Medical College in Lucknow, the state capital.

The police have another explanation: bugs.

"It is a three-and-a-half-inch-long winged insect" that leaves rashes and superficial wounds, Kavindra P. Singh, a superintendent of police, told the Press Trust of India news agency.

Police drew this conclusion after residents of one village found insects they had never seen before.

Villagers are unconvinced. In the most affected area, the Mirzapur district, 440 miles southeast of New Delhi, people have stopped sleeping outdoors despite the sweltering heat and frequent power outages.

Villagers also have formed protection squads that patrol Shanwa, beating drums and shouting slogans such as, "Everyone alert. Attackers beware."

Some accuse district officials of inaction and failing to capture the "aliens." One person died Thursday in nearby Sitapur when police fired shots to disperse a 10,000-strong crowd demanding that authorities capture the mysterious attackers.

"People just block the roads and attack the police for inaction each time there's a death or injury," said Amrit Abhijat, Mirzapur's district magistrate, who claims he has captured the UFO on film.

What? This has any updates???

8. Kuna_Tiori

Mar 20, 2002
    Crop circles are right up there with psychics in the top ten gullible frauds of all time. It's been demonstrated on numerous occasions how this phenomenon was faked by very skilled people, with too much time on their hands and a sense of humour.
    I'm certainly not dismissive about the idea of alien life forms, on the balance of probability there's a very good chance there is life out there, but the idea that they're already here amongst us, communicating by way of faked crop circles and the alarmingly freudian rectal probes is quite ludicrous. Signs is every bit as fictional as Braveheart and that's saying something.

Yes, but how do you know that crop circles were NOT formed by aliens? Sure, we see people making them, but how do we know that each crop circle was made by humans and not aliens? I mean, maybe even just one crop circle was made by aliens, or maybe aliens made the original/first circle and then the pranksters decided to copy it for fun. You never know.

Unless people have been caught making EVERY single last crop circle that has ever existed on this planet. Then the possibility that aliens made them would be slim. And these people have to be caught, red-handed, at the time and place.

9. Darth Fierce

Darth Fierce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
  10. Garli Pesan

Garli Pesan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Signs spoliers ahead........

Ok, first of all I just want to say that I thought signs was one of the most dissapointing movies I've ever seen. To me there's no bigger cop out to personal responsibility then 'everything happens for a reason'. Oh, sorry I killed your wife, but if I hadn't your brother would have never known to hit e.t. with the baseball bat. Everything fit too too perfectly. Of course it didn't work out for everyone on earth, only good looking families we can identify with. Also can you really expect me to belive that the aliens were smart enough to fly across the galaxy, but not smarth enough to bring a rain coat? Please! That would be like you and I going to a planet covered in cyanide.

As for the situation in India, I don't know. It could be some secret weapon being tested. If I was in charge of secret testing, I'd say, hell yes, let's make it look like a movie that just came out, people will never really think it's true. Also we don't know the bias of the reporter who broke the story.

So that's pretty much my response to your first post here.

11. R2RNOT

R2RNOT Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 14, 2000
    I guess I'm on the fence when it comes to coincidences too. I don't think that every coincidence is divine intervention, but I do think that sometimes someone will get a nudge in a certain direction or a "sign." Though, like in the movie, sometimes you don't realize it's more than a coincidence until well after the fact...

Based on the information in the article I think what's happening there is coincidence. We don't know enough about the injuries of those who died, and the other injuries sound like something that could be caused by an insect to me. I've seen birds that seem to flash or have a reflective appearance, so I'm sure a swarm of bugs can have that effect as well. Also, what reason would aliens, or any military, have to attack a small poor village like that? It may be "freaky", but it's probably something that can easily be explained if you get enough information. I'd really like to see the guy's footage of it, if he really has it.

The monkey thing sounds like the chupacabra has made it's way to India. :)

12. Kuna_Tiori

Mar 20, 2002
    Chupacbra? Is that a cryptoid? (like Bigfoot?)

13. Garli Pesan

Garli Pesan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    It's a mexican version of big foot. It sucks blood from goats.

14. R2RNOT

R2RNOT Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 14, 2000
    I'd say it fits into that category. The chupacabra(goatsucker) is supposedly a mysterious being/animal that attacks farm animals. As far as I know it's mostly a Puerto Rican, and American(North, South and Central) phenomenon. I'm sure there's lots of info on the web about it.

I'd say that it's sometype of wild cat...or crazy monkey LOL. There was a pretty good X-Files episode about it though. :)

15. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    Ok, perhaps I should let the cat out of the bag now that I have a couple of pages worth of responses.

My purpose in creating this thread was not to find out whether you're a believer or a skeptic and why.

My actual intention was to demonstrate that you can take one event and draw multiple accounts and interpretations from it... some people see aliens, some people see bugs, some people see monkeys and some people see chupacabras...

This was also the unifying concept of the film Signs. It was M. Night Shyamalan's intention to demonstrate to us that what actually happened may not be as relevant as the individual, and sometimes different, meanings we all draw from the same one event.

Garli Pesan, you brought up a good point about the film... but if I may, I'd like to respectfully disagree with you... and I'll explain why. Shyamalan's point in making the film (you'll note he's not a Hindu, by the way) was that we all have faith in something... and it doesn't matter what it is we have faith in... just that we have it.

It's never actually made clear in the film whether or not the girl's aversion to water, the boy's asthma, Merrill's baseball record, Graham's wife's death really are just coincidences or all were predeteriminately part of some corroborative "plan" that becomes relevant at the end... what is clear, though, is that Graham believes these are no coincidence. To him, this is all that is relevant... what meaning he derives from these events.

Ultimately, even the film itself can be, and has been, interpreted many different ways... depending on the viewer's perspective. Every interpretation differs in one way or another from the next...

My final point is that I used this "experiment" in perception to illustrate that different beliefs are all equal in value, absolutely as well as relatively.

Whether one is right or others are wrong is not ultimately what matters. What matters is what meaning you, personally, derive from such events...

In the end, every religion, every faith that exists, originated from the same one inspiration... and they are all correct... It just depends on where you're coming from and what's relevant to your life. These myriad visions are all emanating from the same ultimate truth.

Shyamalan always wanted to create a cultural phenomenon with film... and he did. Now ranking in the top 50-grossing films of all time, Signs has managed to make a meaningful statement about belief and faith to many people--believers and skeptics alike are talking about it, and each have their own opinions as to the intended message of the film.

In doing so, Shyamalan has demonstrated that our differences of opinion, of perspective, are what hold us together... We do share one common ground: That we can derive our own individual and collective meaningful interpretations from the same phenomena, and that those interpretations are, legitimately, as important to us as, and sometimes more than, whatever the truth itself may really be. In the end, it's clear that it's not the truth that matters... it's how we perceive it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.