main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Signs of Life - Anakin Lives postRotJ AU - Chapter 37 (July 9, *2008*)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JalendaviLady, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JalendaviLady

JalendaviLady Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Signs of Life
    Author: JalendaviLady
    Timeframe: beginning just after the "help me take this mask off" scene in RotJ
    Characters: mainly Luke, Leia, Anakin, and Han

Disclaimer: I wish I could claim I own Star Wars, but I don't. George Lucas does. I am just writing in his universe.

Chapter 1

Alarms sounded. People ran this way and that, looking for any way to get off the massive, doomed battle station. In a relatively undisturbed corner of the hangar, a young Jedi knelt, crying over the unnaturally quiet body of a no-longer-Dark Lord.

After a moment, Luke looked up through his tears at his father?s still face. We never even touched, not without something between us. He tentatively reached up and caressed the top of Anakin?s head, lightly brushing the scar. His white skin was amazingly smooth and warmer than Luke had expected. It?s been five minutes. His body should already be cooling. The thought nearly sent Luke into a fresh burst of tears.

Luke?s hand stopped and he gasped in shock. Somehow, a vein lying close to the skin at Anakin?s temple next to the scar still had a faint pulse. Father? he?s still alive. There?s a pulse. He held a hand close to Anakin?s mouth and could feel the air movements caused by his breathing?faint, but undeniably present. He?s alive.

Luke dragged him into a shuttle, fastening him into a medical bunk and gently placing an oxygen mask on him before rushing to the cockpit, changing the settings of the friend/foe transmitter, and lifting off.

The shuttle landed on the moon only a few minutes later. Thank the Force I managed to find a place to land near a water source and without any apparent troop movements anywhere nearby. Neither of us is in any condition to fight right now. He got up from the pilot?s seat, feeling the beginnings of cramps in his legs. This is not good. Luke stumbled back to the medical bunk.

He nearly collapsed with relief and from the growing pain. According to the sensors in the bunk, Anakin?s heartbeat and breathing were slowly becoming stronger. The elder Skywalker moaned slightly.

Luke braced himself by leaning against the wall where the alcove of the bunk began. It wasn?t much, and his legs still hurt, but it gave a little relief nonetheless. Please don?t let him sense I?m hurt.

Luke gently touched his father?s unscarred, powder-white right cheek. ?Shh. I?m here. You?re gonna be fine. Shh.?

Anakin?s eyes fluttered open somewhat. ?Lu?ke??? The corners of his mouth raised slightly in a subtle smile. Luke?s heart contracted. That?s the same smile he gave me when he saw me, just before?

?I?m here, Father.? He started shaking and could feel tears running down his face. ?I?m here.? He sank to his knees , pressing his face into the springy softness of the bunk?s edge.

Luke suddenly found himself wrapped in a weak but warm Force-embrace. ?Lu?ke?? There was concern in Anakin?s voice.

?I?ll be okay in a moment,? Luke told him as soon as he could calm down enough to speak. ?Just a bit overwhelmed.?

?How? long? since??

?The battle?? Luke looked up in time to see Anakin?s slight nod. ?Under two hours, I think. You were certainly not unconscious for much more than an hour, if that.?

?The? Death Star?? Anakin let his eyes drift closed.

?Blew up just as we got out.? Luke carefully squeezed Anakin?s shoulder. ?Shh. Rest. You?re injured.?

?And you? are not??

?You can barely move, Father. I can at least stumble around.? He tried to stand, but one of the muscles in his lower leg spasmed. He gasped in pain and dropped back down to his knees.

With concern and affection in his weak voice, Anakin quietly chided, ?You were? attacked for longer? than I was? my son. Battle injuries? sometimes? take time? to show. Particularly? Force attacks.? With obvious effort, he slowly moved his left hand over so that it rested in Luke?s hair.

They both rested for a moment, content in each other?s presence.

?Luke??

?Hmm??

?Have you? let anyone? your friends? your sis

2. Jedi-Ander

Jedi-Ander Jedi Youngling

Mar 2, 2004
    Excellent start, Jalen. I liked the way Anakin kept trying to communicate with Leia and his knowledge of how she could swat away mind-probes.

The Leia Organa I knew best was barely 13...

That's an intriguing thought. I wouldn't mind learning more about what those days in Leia's past were like.

Well done. :)

3. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    ROCK ON! This looks awesome! Color me a sailor cuz I'm onboard. (ignore the lameness of that. it's late and it's been a long day)

4. DARTH_MARIANA

DARTH_MARIANA Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Yes! I love AU of ROTJ where Anakin lives! I'm loving this story!

~*Pain is God's way of telling us that we're alive*~

5. JediStarMoonstruck

JediStarMoonstruck Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2002
    *is hooked into thread*

I hope Anakin gets through this! :D Leia. Forgive!

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Can't wait to see more! You've done an excellent job with this and I look forward to updates. Kudos!

7. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    Great start! I love AUs where Anakin lives, too. I've always wanted him to be able to develop a relationship with his children. This looks very promising. Please continue.

Kristeh

8. JalendaviLady

Nov 20, 2002
    Note: I will not be posting this quickly normally. This fast posting time is an anomaly. I likely will not have internet access for the next week or so. Meaning, it's either post now or make everyone wait a week for the second post. Since I'm a few chapters ahead, I might as well post.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Disclaimer: See first post.

Chapter 2

//VADER!?//

He nearly winced as he felt all her mental defenses rise. Oh dear. She?s not out to swat flies. She?s out to swat dragons in flight. This is going to be bad. //Not exactly,// he offered gently.

//What do you mean, ?not exactly??// she bit out into the Force. //Not exactly the man who destroyed my homeworld? Not exactly the man who left my mother alone? Not exactly the man who killed so many? Not exactly the most recent Dark Lord of the Sith?//

//Leia, your brother was right.//

Another pause.

//Palpatine tried to kill Luke.//

//WHAT?//

//Force-lightning, he seems okay but he needs a medic?we both need a medic. He cried out for help, I threw Palpatine down the main power shaft, Luke and I got to the shuttle bays, got off the Death Star, and are now somewhere dirtside. I have no clue where. I wasn?t conscious when we landed. Luke?s been trying to contact you like this, but he doesn?t have the experience in Force-communication that I have.//

//But he?s okay?//

//He?ll live. But he needs to see a medic before any of the injuries become chronic.//

//And you?// she asked tentatively.

//Respirator broken. Depending on the oxygen mask of a medical bunk to survive. Too weak to speak complete sentences at once. Almost too weak to move. If Luke hadn?t put me in the bunk, I would be dead now.//

A pause.

A longer pause.

//Anakin?//

He sent her the mental equivalent of a nod.

//Father?//

//If and only if you desire to recognize me as such,// he answered humbly. //I ask only for the chance to try to make up for the mistakes I?ve made.//

//You can?t bring back those you?ve killed.//

//But I can keep others from dying by helping the Alliance. I know which officers merely follow orders and which actually believed in the New Order. Tell me, if you don?t mind, if there is any news of what happened to the Executor?//

//Apparently saw the approaching case of TRD, turned tail, and headed to the edge of the system. Hasn?t moved since.//

//?TRD??//

//Trench Run Disorder. Little X-Wings giving Star Destroyers very bad days.//

//I may be able to talk the officers over to the Alliance. Would take some effort, but it could possibly be done. First priority is getting a medic out here though, since it would appear to not be possible to get your brother to a medic.// Anakin could feel his eyelids drooping. //Speaking of your brother, mind if I try to transfer my end of this to him and take a nap?//

//I don?t mind, but I really can only talk for a few more minutes. It?s late where I am right now and I think I?ve been awake and moving since long before this morning. I didn?t get much sleep last night.//

//Still, he?s the one who knows where we are.//

//One moment. Someone wants me.//

Anakin waited.

//Seems an Imperial shuttle landed maybe half an hour ago. Any chance it might be the one you and Luke grabbed?//

//Could be.// He reached out into the Force. //Clearing near water, I think. If I try hard enough, I can hear barely hear the fish in the Force.//

//Sounds like where Han said Wedge saw the thing land. It?ll be a while before any medics can be spared to head out there.//

//So Luke and I are looking at having to hold out on our own here for at least half a day.//

//From the information I?ve seen. We have some medkits and such here, but I don?t see how any of it would help any...//

//Even painkillers would be good... Luke can?t look for any here, and I certainly can?t.//

//I?ll see what I can do.//

//Still want to talk to Luke?//

//Does he even know this conversation is going on?//

//No.// He barely suppressed a ya

9. JediStarMoonstruck

Feb 19, 2002
    There are fics I'm waiting months. :_| I can wait.

Leia seems very forgiving. Let's hope Han is *readys metal rod* and the other Rebels *again readys metal rod* :D

10. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    AHHHHHHH! NEED MORE! ...CANT...TAKE...THE...SUSPENSE!!!!!

11. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Hooray! An update! Can't wait to see more. Great post, superb job!
    Kimberley

12. Jedi-Ander

Jedi-Ander Jedi Youngling

Mar 2, 2004
    Another great post. From what little I've seen, you have everybody's characterizations down very well.

I liked Han's little crack about how Leia has spent too much time around politicians, too.

When will Luke and Anakin get medical attention? Can't wait to find out. :)

13. JalendaviLady

Nov 20, 2002
    Thanks for the feedback!

I wanted to at least get up to this chapter posted before I leave for Spring Break and leave my campus ethernet connection behind :_| . My sort-beta-something (he writes fanfic, but not Star Wars fanfic) wanted me to wait, but that cliffie is just a little too high to leave sitting unresolved for an entire week. This is the end of the daily updates for now; I need to do major work on Chapter 4 before I can post it.

So, without further delay...

Disclaimer: See first post.

Chapter 3

The forest was beautiful at night.

Planetlight glistened in the early morning dew, making the ferns ahead seem studded with diamonds.

The tree trunks, such a drab brown in full daylight, turned a rich color in the dimmer light.

Ok, Leia, get your head off the trees and onto the trail. Not that there really was a trail, just the relatively tree-free trail of a seasonal stream that had died to merely a trickle. She was running the speeder at far less than its maximum speed, enjoying the speeder ride through the forest.

A glimmer of silver barely seen through the trees. The river. Finally.

Another 5 minutes and she shot out from the trees and over the vast stretch of water, shimmering as if it were a solid piece of mica. Deep river. Wide river. She turned south, following the river..

The sky soon began to glow a warm silvery purple that slowly turned pink, then faded into a brilliant blue as the sun began to rise over the trees.

She revved the engine. I promised myself I would be there soon after dawn, if not before.

The trees streaked by on either side. She took off her helmet and secured it to the speeder, then tossed out her hair into the wind.

A glint of white through the trees on the left bank. She turned the speeder in a wide arc and slowed down until she came to a gentle stop just beside the shuttle.

Something?s wrong. Leia tried to place her feelings... Five presences, not two. They have visitors.

They?re both injured.

She leapt off the speeder and ran into the forced-open hatch of the shuttle, blaster drawn.

She entered the access hall the medical bunks were in just in time to see an Imperial in an AT-ST pilot?s uniform stun Luke. The other two Imperials in the hallway?the copilot and gunner??were holding someone down in the bunk. She couldn?t see exactly what was going on, but she knew she had to stop them. Anakin seems to be holding them off, but once their friend can help them, he?s a dead or captured, whichever they?re aiming for.

Her first shot struck the man who had stunned Luke in the back. He fell, making a thud that let Leia know he was already dead. The next two shots dropped the men beside the bunk.

?Father?? Leia ran the few remaining feet to the bunk.

He was breathing weakly, face far paler than the rest of his skin. He was straining for every breath...

He still needs supplemental oxygen just to survive? They took the mask off him and were going to hold him down, no way to reach it, until he suffocated, she realized in a burst of shock and fear. If they damaged the mask, he?ll die because I can?t get him to the other bunk. I?m not that strong.

She grabbed the mask and pressed it over his nose and mouth, turning the oxygen controls as high as they would go. Please don?t be broken. Please.

It was a few very long moments before he started softly moaning. After five minutes, his left hand slowly moved to cover hers.

She almost drew back in surprise at the touch of the leather glove. It was softer than she?d expected, and certainly less strong than she had ever thought it would be. He?s holding down the mask, whether he knows my hand is there as well or not, holding onto his chance to survive, and yet his grip is so weak...

It wasn?t until Luke was beginning to stir slightly?he?ll still be unconscious for a while, that was a full power stunbolt he took?some ten minutes or so later when Anakin really seemed

14. JediStarMoonstruck

Feb 19, 2002
    Is there some reason he's so concerned about their birthday? Or is it just the fact that's it's their birthday?

Leia seems to have taken it very well. What about Han? And the others?

15. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    Great post!

Ummm.... Anakin Simeon Skywalker? Where did that come from?

16. JalendaviLady

Nov 20, 2002
    At one point I just thought he needed a middle name. I thought it sounded cool and had a bit of ring to it.

And about the birthday thing... it's not just the fact it's their birthday, but that a) he hasn't been around for the other 20 birthdays, b) 21 is in some cultures a last milemarker to full adult status (aka, he's now officially missed being around them in a proper fatherly role for the entire length of their childhoods and very early adulthoods), and c) he's managed to, through his actions as Vader, mess up the first birthday he's been around them for.

17. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    Ohhh this is so cool. Leia is dealing so well. This is definately a unique take on this. usually she flies off the handle and throws the nearest breakable object into the nearest hard surface and storms around in a rage for weeks, months, even years. It's cool to see her handle it well for a change.

18. Tribun

Tribun Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2003
    //But I can keep others from dying by helping the Alliance. I know which officers merely follow orders and which actually believed in the New Order. Tell me, if you don?t mind, if there is any news of what happened to the Executor?//

//Apparently saw the approaching case of TRD, turned tail, and headed to the edge of the system. Hasn?t moved since.//

Does this mean we will meet them in you fic?
    I found it sad the the Lady Ex was destroyed in ROTJ, and hope that the ship will play a role here.

19. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    About Vader/Leia - I feel thing is the acalm before the storm *laughs*
    Very good start, I'll keep an eye on this!

20. DARTH_MARIANA

DARTH_MARIANA Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 2004
    I'm liking how calm Leia is handling this. It's always common that Leia goes ballistic when she's with Vader and always blaming him for everything but this is a burst of fresh air!

Can't wait for the next post! ;)

~*Mariana*~

21. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    This is an awesome story! I can't wait to see more updates. Great job, excellent writing. I like the plot, your characters, everything!

22. kristeh

May 24, 2003
    I'm loving this story! Wonderful last two posts.

I think your take on Leia accepting the news so well is original, but not out of character at all. A friend once told me that she thought Leia's tendency to hold a grudge was a bit exaggerated and pointed out that when Luke told her who their father was, Leia actually took it pretty well. Of course she was in shock over all the revelations that Luke had just dropped on her, but I, too, think she could learn to forgive and adjust.

I love how Anakin is dwelling on the twins' birthday, too. How he's so aware of his failures, and so remorseful. Hopefully, he will get the chance to try to make things up to them, as much as he can, and to be a real father now.

Hope you enjoy your vacation, and I'm looking forward to more.

Kristeh

23. kristeh

May 24, 2003
    I'm loving this story! Wonderful last two posts.

I think your take on Leia accepting the news so well is original, but not out of character at all. A friend once told me that she thought Leia's tendency to hold a grudge was a bit exaggerated and pointed out that when Luke told her who their father was, Leia actually took it pretty well. Of course she was in shock over all the revelations that Luke had just dropped on her, but I, too, think she could learn to forgive and adjust.

I love how Anakin is dwelling on the twins' birthday, too. How he's so aware of his failures, and so remorseful. Hopefully, he will get the chance to try to make things up to them, as much as he can, and to be a real father now.

Hope you enjoy your vacation, and I'm looking forward to more.

Kristeh

24. kristeh

May 24, 2003
    Mmm, I have no idea why that last message was posted twice.

Kristeh

25. DarthYong789

DarthYong789 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2003
    I really like your story PLEASE UPP!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.