Signs showing 1:30

Discussion in 'Tulsa, OK' started by MysticTrunks01, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MysticTrunks01 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok all, We're going to see Signs tomorros (Saturday) and the Tulsa Cinamark 16 (Imax)at 1:30. Dena, myself, and Lisa will be there and probably Otto too. Hope to see some of ya there!
  2. FaceLoran Jedi Knight

star 3
    Kenzi and I saw it Friday night at midnight, and I highly recommend it. While I'm not as tough a critic as Ed (who is?), I definitely enjoyed the movie and I think I liked it better than The Sixth Sense. M. Night Shymalan's has NOT lost his touch.
  3. MysticTrunks01 Jedi Master

star 4
    The critic guy on the Edge made a funny about how almost nothing is better than Sixth Sense. He then made a joke about how even his honey moon wasn't as good as the Sixth Sense. hehe, just thought i'd say that because its funny.
  4. pinata242 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I watched it Friday night as well. While it's a good movie and has some nice creepy parts, overall it's a HUGE letdown. There's so much done in the movie to cheapen it.

I've never seen Unbreakable, but from what I've heard, I've missed nothing. The Sixth Sense was good and I don't think anyone can argue that. As far as M. Night losing his touch? He's written 6 movies and directed 5 of those. Stuart Little being the outcast (and I think we all know how you all feel about that little talking mouse over dragons). Has anyone seen his other 2 movies? "Wide Awake" or "Playing with Anger"? I haven't. So, as far as we know, only "The Sixth Sense" was the M. Night touch we've come to expect and that was the first any of us saw. How can someone "lose" his touch when he's only done it once - it just happened to be when you first noticed him.

All in all, Signs was built up to be the M. Night that would recapture our wow. I think he's proven that he never had it in the first place. It was all just one big coincidence...
  5. FaceLoran Jedi Knight

star 3
    We obviously have very different tastes in movies, Brent, but from your post, I definitely think you completely missed the point of Signs. Also, since you've haven't even seen half of M. Night's work, your argument about his losing his touch dooesn't have much validity. I base my opinions of movies on what I see and not popular opinion/hearsay, so Unbreakable is one of my favorite films. I still stand by my opinion that Signs is better than The Sixth Sense. I won't go into detail as that would spoil it for those who haven't seen it.
  6. RogerRoger517 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I saw Signs yesterday. I think that it is a great movie. I really didn't like Unbreakable for many reasons, but I like Signs even more than 6th Sense. Everyone has a different opinion I suppose.
  7. pinata242 Jedi Knight

star 3
    You're right, I haven't seen 60% of his movies. You were the one who said "M. Night Shymalan's has NOT lost his touch." Who was that in response to? It seems that you loved his last three movies so, who could you have been responding to but "popular opinion/hearsay"?

I didn't miss the point of Signs. And I also don't think we have much distance in our taste of movies. I mean you all went on and on about The Evil Dead series and those are some of the most underrated movies of all time. Not too mention we're part of a group that dedicates itself to the livelihood of a movie made 25 years ago.

I'm not trying to be an ass, I just have a different opinion. And as far as remaining spoiler-free and not being able to have a back-and-forth conversation over this medium, it's very easy for people to misread intentions or even words. Someday I'd love to get with you about your take because maybe you saw something I missed.
  8. MysticTrunks01 Jedi Master

star 4
    Brent, you would absolutely LOVE Unbreakable. The movie is not what you think its about, but i can't tell you because it would spoil it. Trust me though man, i thought the same thing because i listened to some people that like most movies i like but they were way wrong on this one. Dena, Otto, Barry and all the others that have seen it love it too.
  9. pinata242 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Anybody got a copy I could borrow? I'd love to check it out.

We need to generate some kind of movie database that we can share stuff like that. Keep a list of who's got what. Can we get that done on the site? If not, I suppose I could run a simple one from my house. Thoughts?
  10. DarthPaul1971 Jedi Master

star 1
    I have Unbreakable on DVD if you'd like to borrow it Brent.
  11. FaceLoran Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, Brent, I definitely respect your opinions, and I agree that you should see Unbreakable. My statement that "M. Night Shymalan has NOT lost his touch" was just that. A statement, not in response to anything. I emphasized "not" to make sure people didn't read over it and think I said that he has lost his touch.

About the movie database, I believe we can come up with something.
  12. talltrees Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, I too saw it on Sat. While the movie wasn't perfect, it was pretty good. There were somethings that I felt weren't explained well enough. But, boy o' boy, there were some intense parts!!! Because of those, I think I was just as entertaining to Mike2, Dena and Otto as the movie. :D I am such a scardy cat and Dena was lucky I wasn't attached to her arm the whole movie. hehehe! :) As a matter of fact, I didn't sleep worth sh!t last night because I kept thinking about certain scenes. Unfortunatly, I have a very vivid imagination, and it sometimes goes into over drive after I have seen a creepy movie.
  13. MysticTrunks01 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey Lisa, what... what is that figure out side your window?
  14. Maumi Jedi Knight

star 1
    I liked the movie. It had some parts that I could not get out of my head last night and I kept jumping at every little thing that walked by or made a noise. So it's ok Lisa I know how you feel. I am a bad scary cat myself. I still hold my ears and close me eyes when going through scray rides at the fair. I hate the darkness. My imagition runs wild!!! :eek:
  15. talltrees Jedi Knight

star 3
    :mad: MIKE2-D2!!!! YOU ARE SO CRUEL!! THERE IS NOTHING OUT SIDE MY WINDOW!!
    ***she tells herself over and over that there isn't ANYTHING on her roof, or any of the roofs in her quiet, sweet, peaceful little neighborhood. And that she isn't out in BFE so if she screams, SOMEONE will hear her.***
    Okay, I need to move to a place where I can have a dog. Dogs are good, they alert you to creepy things in the night. Joey-another reason I prefer dogs. Cat's don't give you enough warning if something is in your house. Cat just run.
  16. pinata242 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I seem to remember that Isabelle, the big tough German Shepard, didn't put up much of a fight. Sure, you'd be warned, but just in time to panic. Sleep tight.
  17. talltrees Jedi Knight

star 3
    MEAN, MEAN PEOPLE! You have NO idea how hard it is to sleep! Brent, go back to work! :)
  18. MysticTrunks01 Jedi Master

star 4
    My cat gives plenty of warning, she hides under the sink and i hear the door close behind her.

Yea, that dog just about did a number on that kid too... good puppy... *looks at his ceiling* wha... did you hear something up there?
  19. gw2tulsa Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ipthought the movie was pretty good. There were parts that just downright scared the willies out of me. Right next to the end of the movie was without a doubt the most intense thing I've experienced in a film - EVER. I've only been that wierded out when I was five and watched the original Night of the Living Dead...

There were a couple of things I would have done differently (ie, I would have run around in a panic :). But this was a pretty good example of "what if" in real life with normal people...

I was really pleasently suprised at the ending, but from what little info I had seen I half expected this movie end differently (I'll elaborate on that later when more have seen it)...

But now for a question...

Slight spoiler.....

What would you prefer? 12 Gauge Shotgun or a Supersoaker?

-Gary
  20. Sentinel_Vash Jedi Knight

star 2
    one of the back super soaker
  21. MysticTrunks01 Jedi Master

star 4
    Honestly the one thing that really bothered my was the directors obvious pride in what he is (middle eastern) which is fine, but this bothered me

Spoiler info ahead kinda!!!

Look away now.

At the end when they came outta the basement, the radio guy said something like "3 cities in the middle east have found a primitive defence against the invaders. We dont know what it is yet, but well tell you when we are updated"

Ok, that is obvious this is just because of where the guy is from. That was sooo STUPID! I mean really! Even some podunk preacher in the middle of armpit USA figured out water hurts the things!
    Other then that everything was very good, expecially when he looked out the window onto the roof across the way. Talk about one of my worst fears.
  22. FaceLoran Jedi Knight

star 3
    Uhhh, M. Night was born in India (not the middle east) and he was raised in Philadelphia.
  23. talltrees Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thank you Billy. I was going to say the same thing. Now Mike2, I thought you were going to say that the director was so proud of his work that he was in the movie....spoiler coming up!

And his character happened to be the only person to catch one of the "bad guys", and live to tell about it. I mean come on, how many non white men are there going to be out in poedunck (sp?) PA? Now, I thought that was a little much. But hell, it is his movie. A very good movie over all. The more I think about it, the more I can't wait to see it again.

Oh, also did you catch the fact that Night's character was a vet? And that's why Mel Gibson wanted to call the people doctor when the first dog peed on itself. I just figured that one out. A little slow I am. :D
  24. gw2tulsa Jedi Knight

star 1
    OK, now that we are at the Vets house I had an observation... spoiler space applies...

Why in the HELL didn't Graham call the sheriff after he cut the fingers off that A.L.F. Yes, I can totally understand getting his scared ass home asap, but please... My next action would have been to call the law and get them over to Ray's house. I half expected Graham to walk back into his house after that and drop the fingers on the table to prove that there DEFINITELY was something wrong in Pennsylvania...

Oh, and the video footage from Brazil creeped the **** out of me. Just about as much as that old Bigfoot footage from a few decades back does (I wouldn't be suprised if it was a omage to that footage)...

We definitely need a spoiler thread dedicated to this movie... I'll probably have to go and see it again just to see if I can catch anything else...

Oh, and now you know why animals pee on themselves in severe danger... I wonder just how long those A.L.F's had been coming to earth?

-Gary
  25. Maumi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Grrr... sorry she didn't log off.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.