main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Signs showing 1:30

Discussion in 'Archive: Tulsa, OK' started by MysticTrunks01, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MysticTrunks01

MysticTrunks01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2002
    Ok, now that i'm me again (sorry Dena) Well i was told those things from other people in the know too. Besides, just because he was raised in PA and born in India doesn't make my statement any less true,... so NAH! And it was still freakin' annoying whatever the reason was that part was put in.

2. pinata242

pinata242 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Independence Day was written by an American. Are you annoyed that an American is the one who figured out how to bring the baddies down? (Absolute absurdness of the tatics aside). You're right though that the whole "We don't know what it is yet" thing was kind of a stretch given the simplistic nature of the attack method. War of the Worlds, indeed.

What bugged me is M. Night playing the vet in this town. It just didn't fit. I understand he's as American as the next guy, it just seemed strange. When we first see him outside the pizzeria, I just assumed "oh, there's an Indian in these parts... 18 crop circles in India in the last 72 hours? He MUST be involved." I thought we had ourselves a little racial profiling going on, not that these characters had a past. Granted, as a narrative it worked since we shouldn't know everything about what's happened in all their pasts or else a great deal of the "hoomph" is lost. It was just weird.

I also always have to take a step back and try to figure out why a writer/director stars in his own movies, as M. Night consistently does. I always wonder if they do it out of vanity or that they really can't cast the part in their vision or if they just want to. Quentin Tarantino does it constantly and he plays his parts to a 'T'. Tarantino's parts are always so over-the-top, for some reason it just works. M. Night did a fine job in this part but, given the small nature of this town, his ethnicity just didn't mesh as the local "Doc Hollywood".

My two cents.

3. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    In a more natural way you said what i ment Brent. Thank you.

I have to say i do find it wierd that he does that part. Also the "I locked one in the pantry don't open it" was kinda like, ok, where did that come from? lol, but i still liked it, it was suspenceful.

Also the only writer/director (more director) that plays a kickass role in movies he directs is Mel Gibson... and Mel Brooks is good too. hehe (HAIL PRESIDENT SKROOB!

4. FaceLoran

FaceLoran Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 1999
    You guys are forgetting Clint Eastwood, Kevin Smith, or Stephen King.

5. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    Not so much Steven King :p

6. Sentinel_Vash

Sentinel_Vash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    Let us not forget Hitchcock

7. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    Grrr sorry he didn't log off!!!! Oh wait what the hell am I saying he lives here!!!! [face_devil]

Maumi

8. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    This was to funny not to show you guys.

Clickie

9. Sentinel_Vash

Sentinel_Vash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    Thats sums it pretty well

10. talltrees

talltrees Jedi Youngling star 3