main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Silent Hill Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Ginger_Jedi, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    I am a big fan of the Silent Hill series. It scares you in a way no other game does - even Resident Evil can't freak you out so deeply. I have played all 3 games (currently battling my way through the 3rd game for the first time) and so far each one has given me sleepless nights and nightmares.

Silent Hill plays on fundemental fears - being alone in a dangerous, confusing and nightmarish world where everything that can go wrong has gone wrong. The atmoshpere of the games leave you on edge from start to finish and just to really increase your terror, there are some inexplainable bumps, screams and other assorted scare tactics placed throughout.

But is there anything out there scarier than Silent Hill or has Silent Hill crossed enough boundaries to make it the most screwed up set of games ever? Should games like Silent Hill really be made? People who've played it know how horrifying and truly disturbing parts of all the games are so should they really be allowed?

Either which way, Silent Hill is a landmark in the pyshcological horror game and ranks near the top of my all time favourite game list.

2. DarthLuxor

DarthLuxor Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=11985876&page=1

3. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    Thanks for the link but I can't check that out 'til I completed SH3...

4. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    The Silent Hill series is simply one of the best. It utilizes fear, atmosphere, and complex storylines perfectly. In fact I can't think of a single game (or film for that matter) that tops it as far as fear goes. Hollywood should take notes.

5. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    Hmmm....a Silent Hill movie in the future perhaps?

6. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Actually, the director of Brotherhood of the Wolf is already developing the feature film.

7. YodaBoomstick

YodaBoomstick Jedi Master star 1

Jul 19, 2002
    Yep.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=1571

8. DarthLuxor

DarthLuxor Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    The February 2004 Official U.S. Playstation Magazine has the first screenshots, and info on Silent Hill 4. It will have no major connections to 1+3 or 2, just probably some more injokes. The 'hero' looks like a young Stephen King to me which seems very interesting.

9. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    If you find those shots online and post them, I will worship you. Not that I don't already but... yeah. :)

edit:
    One

Two

Nice. Very... very nice. :)

10. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    i just finished SH3 last night...finally. i had heard that there was to be a SH4, so i thought..i better get back to 3 and finish it.

so..wow..i think that was the scariest silent hill yet! i was pretty much terrified from the "otherside" brookhaven hospital and beyond. the bleeding room..the things that don't appear 'til towards the end..they are a mini-version of the boss that killed harry.

yeah..that was really scary.

11. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    After seeing the SH4 trailer a wee while back, and hearing a load of different details, am I the only one who feels that Konami were dropping a hint that 4 will be the last of the series?

I mean, firsty, in the trailer, Other then the ambient horror effects and ambience we hear, in the lyrical sequence, did anyone pick up on the whole 'Lullaby to say Goodbye' thing? And um... from what I hear, SH4 will be going back to some old characters and stories, um... would'nt that suggest they're closing all the cases, tying up all the loose ends, as it were?

12. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I thought the game play was fantasticly Creepy and well done but the stories were a bit complex. Not nessisarly a bad thing but I found my self having to play Cut scenes over more than once because I was left scratching my head about some of the details. The only other game that came close to giving me the creep factor that Silent Hill Did was Fatal Frame.

also for those who just finished SH3 there is a weapon you get if you play it a second time through that will get any Star Wars fan a smile. :) Though it's hard to play through with it since it takes a second to turn on and will turn off when you take damage. Still is worth it. I managed to finish the game a second time using it for everything but the bosses.

13. Iwakura

Apr 2, 2001
    well, SH4 just came out yesterday. i haven't bought it yet, as i have some other purchases to attend to fairly soon, but i was wonder if anyone else has checked it out yet and if so, what do you think of it?

14. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I'd go see a movie based on Silent Hill 2.

Slent Hill 2 was a great puzzle game. I loved the moment where you take the rowboat through the fog to the hotel.

15. Blade_Of_Elu

Blade_Of_Elu Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2003
    I've only played Silent Hill 1 so far, but man, it's creepy! But damn, it's cool. :cool: Can't wait for the movie.

16. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    4 is out? Cool. I am putting it on my play list for around Halloween. [face_devil]

17. Iwakura

Apr 2, 2001
  18. Mira

Mira Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2004
    I think SH4 is the second greatest of the series (next to SH2) --- the story is incredible. The soundtrack is some of the best music in a game EVER. :D

The innovations are awesome too. The view switches between first person and third depending on where you are, the weapons are worked differently (with a strength gauge) and so on. I would really recommend getting SH4 - I also believe it's one of the scariest of the series as well!

19. Iwakura

Apr 2, 2001
    sounds cool mira.

i heard awhile back that the POV switching works as follows: when you're in the apartment it's first-person in order to enhance the claustrophobia-ness of it and once you crawl through the hole it switches to third-person. is that correct?

20. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    Oh I can't get enough of the game myself. Have anyone played it with the lights off yet?

21. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    I'm about halfway through SH4. It's great. I love how it ties in with SH2. I like how your character knows James Suderland from SH2.

The first person apartment perspective is cool. I get creeped out when I look through the peephole to the outside floor, and realise I can't get out there.

22. Mira

Mira Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2004
    Iwakura: Yep! That's exactly how it works! It's a very good addition and really adds to the atmosphere. Especially the way you can bang on your windows to try to get the attention of people and the way you can look through your peephole at people outside. So really odd stuff happens out there...

23. Iwakura

Apr 2, 2001
    Especially the way you can bang on your windows to try to get the attention of people and the way you can look through your peephole at people outside. So really odd stuff happens out there...

oh wow, do people actually pay attention or react when you do that??

24. Aceed_Altiee

Aceed_Altiee Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2003
    I got SH4 a few weeks ago and havent had that much time to play it (im still at the station), but man does it freak me out. I get a horrible feeling in my stomach everytime i play it. I had SH1 and haven seen SH2, but so far, this one has freaked me out way more in the first ten minutes than SH1 alone.

It scares you in a different level than Resident Evil. SH4 is really messed up, the sounds, the atmosphere.

25. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    Silent Hill is a great series of games because it seems like the stories could actually happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.