main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Silhouetted by Light - An Obi-Wan Short Story - [UPDATED June 27th]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by KrystalBlaze, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    [image=http://www.geocities.com/blazers_ewan/secondsilo.gif]

Title: Silhouetted by Light
    Author: KrystalBlaze
    Rating: PG
    Timeframe: Five years pre-TPM
    Summary: Once in their lifetime every Jedi Padawan is urged to revisit their homeworld and learn the culture of their race. At the age of twenty, Obi-Wan Kenobi returns to his home to discover the ancient power of his royal bloodline.
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, OC's
    Disclaimer: The Great One owns all. I just get to play with them.
    Thanks: to my excellent beta reader Jaxx_w and my sister Jerikor for the cover. That's Johnny Depp posing as Terrell and Emil Hirsch as Evan. :)

------

Author Notes:

Argh, really, I shouldn't be doing this. I have too many other stories to look after right now, but this bunny hit me hard and wouldn't let me go. Besides, who am I to dictate which direction my muse travels? She's got a mind of her own. ;)

This story will be about ten posts, at the most. Hopefully you'll enjoy it. :)

2. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    I ask you not to get too attached to a certain raven-haired Padawan. I'm afraid this is the only time he'll make an appearance in this story. :)

----

Prolouge

Nineteen years earlier...

Keliso was almost directly below them. Through the window of the transport, the planet gleamed blue and white. The white was obviously cloud covering, and when the clouds did shift, Qui-Gon Jinn could see patches of brown, signifying land. Most of the planet was water, small, and the patches of land were sparse little islands, almost invisible if you weren?t looking for them. He wondered vaguely which one of them was Harken.

Behind him, his fifteen-year-old apprentice was meditating fitfully, his eyes often fluttering as if he longed to just stare out at the jewel of a planet. Qui-Gon sighed, and decided perhaps it was time for Xanatos to end it all together. The boy had been trying for the last three hours to delve completely into the Force and had come up half-short. It was a lesson for another day, and besides, they would be landing soon.

?Padawan,? Qui-Gon said, and after a moment Xanatos?s startling black eyes were looking up at him in confusion. ?We?ll be landing in about twenty minutes. Go ahead and gather your belongings.?

Xanatos stood fluidly. ?I?m sorry, Master, my mind was elusive today,? he said flippantly. ?I?ve always wanted to learn how to test a child.?

Qui-Gon grinned. ?Believe me, Padawan, it?s not something that?s entirely impressive.? He moved about the room, picking up his datapad and the extra clothing he had shed on their two-day trip. ?Most of the time, the child is not even Force-sensitive. I don?t know how this time will exactly work out, and if the child does prove worthy, then there is the task of taking him away.?

Xanatos shrugged, following Qui-Gon?s motions. ?Do the parents make a fuss about it??

?Again, most of the time,? Qui-Gon said. ?It?s one thing to com the Jedi and ask them for a testing, but it?s another thing entirely to let their child go.?

Again, Xanatos shrugged. ?Well, they should want the kid to have a better life.? He drifted over to the window and gazed down at the planet as they descended slowly. ?There?s too much water,? he said after a moment. ?Communication must be hard between the islands. You?re sure the pilot knows we?re going to Harken??

?From what I know of, I?m sure,? he said with a small smile. He came to his apprentice?s side. ?I want you to remember that taking this child is an important event in the parent?s life, and that it will most likely hurt them. If they do latch onto you and try to change your mind and weep, remember that this is probably the better life for the little one.?

??Little one??? Xanatos asked with a laugh. ?Did you call me ?little one? when you took me, Master??

Now Qui-Gon laughed. ?Actually, most of the time I called you, ?be quiet.? You were a noisy thing; did I tell you??

Xanatos made a move to punch his Master in the arm, but Qui-Gon stepped nimbly away. At that moment, the pilot?s voice came through the com unit. ?We?ll be landing in ten minutes.?

The apprentice let his arm drop, and then crossed them. He favored his master with a condescending look, as if he pitied him. Then he rolled his eyes.

?Time to get going, Padawan,? Qui-Gon said, and moved for the door.

-----

?What a pretty tree,? Xanatos said, pointing at the splintering willow and the ones beside it. ?It looks just like the trees we passed five minutes ago, and just the ones five minutes before that.?

Qui-Gon had to work hard to hide his laughter. What Xanatos said was the truth: the landscape was barren, the cluster of trees a dark spot on the horizon. It intrigued Xanatos that something could survive in such a landscape, but was quickly put down when he found out all were the same, and all seemed to be splintering and dying.

?Maybe they?re going through a drought,? the Jedi said, watching the mountains and dirt pass by. The groundcar went quickly on the deserted road, and ahead Qui-Gon spied two roads

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Oh, this one looks great! I can't wait to see more. Wonderful job!

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    A lovely way of dealing with the taking of a child. I liked that both Qui-Gon and Xanatos were drawn to the child. I look forward to more...

5. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    This was cute! :) Hehehehe Xan was hesitant at first before taking the babe *snrk* hehehehe that was great! And calling out when the babe yanked his braid! hehehehe

Poor mum... it is sad to give up a child regardless of the cause. But at least for this cause it was a good one.

Great lil story! : D

6. Jaxx_w

Jaxx_w Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2004
    I'm sorry, how can we not get attached to a certain raven-haired padawan when you make it so difficult?

Great beginning. Felt so sad for Kodal. Baby Ben is lovely and Xan and Qui are so sweet with him. Great. looking forward to more.

7. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    VaderLVR64: Thanks so much for stopping by. It always means so much to me that you stop by. You're one of my favorite authors. :D

Diane: Same with you. :D I'm considering turning the part with Xan and Qui and Obi into a novella if I can gather a PB from it. I'm finding the thought of the three of them together incredibly intriguing. :)

Kynstar: I got a *snrk*!!! Woot. :) Thanks for coming by and mentioning which parts you liked. I love that.

Jaxx_w: Welcome to the boards! :) I'm sure you're like it here. Yes, Xanatos is easy to love, huh? So sad to know what he becomes. :( Alas, I'll deal with him now in the way I please. Thanks for stopping by!!

Sorry for the delay on this. School has been hectic. Blah. [face_plain] I'm trying something new with this story in that I won't be labeling parts or chapters anymore. In doing that, the parts will be shorter but updated more regularly than having to wait to finish a part, and I may stray from the ten post line. But that's okay!

-----

Against a pale blue sky, polluted by smog and the sound of harsh yells and horns, the Jedi Temple remained a gaping spire of peace and learning. The Temple had been built hundreds of years ago by the first Jedi, who had mastered their craft and pledged their lives to defend the Republic. The Jedi had lived to serve this pledge, and they still lived in a way that could be commended and an example to all around.

Obi-Wan Kenobi had lived his entire life in the safe halls of the Temple, learning the art of the Force and thriving in it. He could no sooner picture a life without the constant reassurance of the Force humming in his head than choose which hand to cut off. He was quite attached to both of them, almost as attached as he was to the Force. The thought amused him as he walked swiftly down the gleaming hall of the Temple towards the exit, kitbag hung over his shoulder.

Although Obi-Wan considered and would always consider the Jedi Temple his home, the place where he had grown and the place he had bled for, apparently there was another ?home? someplace in the universe. One short week ago, his twentieth birthday had come and fallen. It was on that day that Qui-Gon had raised with him the topic of traveling to his homeworld.

Obi-Wan had been stumped into silence at that time. He knew that many Jedi chose to visit their homeworld if they so pleased, but the thought had never jumped into his mind for him to visit his. The measure was only taken if something could be learned from the homeworld, so art or technique that would prove use to the Jedi in future activities. Although he had not known of his homeworld?s assets at the time, he had supposed it couldn?t be all that bad, though, for many Jedi did it, including Qui-Gon and Master Windu.

Further research in the Temple archives and communication with the monarchy of the planet ? Keliso ? had heeded more information than needed. It was decided, therefore, he would find a transport to take him the planet, which was a two days travel from Coruscant.

Obi-Wan wasn?t nervous as he strolled down the Temple hall, but a bundle of excitement was swooping along in his stomach. After the first emotions of shock and almost fear, this emotion was a welcome relief. He wasn?t frightened of these people, but he was frightened of getting too close. The fear constantly rained down upon him, but now he pushed it away.

After he exited the Temple, he was surprised to see Qui-Gon waiting for him. Qui-Gon had left for a solo mission three days ago, and harsh as it may be, Obi-Wan had not expected him to return in time for a farewell. At the sight of Qui-Gon, his heart leapt, and happiness filled him. Part of him would always remain that thirteen-year old boy who loved his Master dearly and feared the day without seeing him.

?Master, what a welcome surprise!? Obi-Wan said, coming quickly forward to grasp his Master?s forearm.

?I am glad to be back in time to see you off, Obi-Wan,? Qui-Gon said, gesturing to his own kitbag at his feet. ?Luck

8. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    This is an up, because I am incredibly insecure in my teenage ways and in the fact I forgot to post that I updated in the header. Didn't want anyone to miss it. ;)

-Krystal

9. Jaxx_w

Aug 8, 2004
    Got a bit of a lump in my throat myself there. Love how you describe Obi-Wan and Qui together. And like the notion of Obi-Wan being a passionate person, it suits him well. And the revelation of Qui being Obi's carrier was wonderful. Love the heart-felt emotions from the pair. :)

Thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here. :)

10. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Obi/Qui mush!!!!! Yippeee!!!! :D Loved it!

Ahhh well enough for Qui to caution the young man once more! Hrmmm why do I have a sneaking suspicion that he will get involved? Hrmmm let his passion get the better of him?

But alas it wouldn't be a story otherwise, eh? *snrk* hehehehe Ohhh I truly loved this chappie Krystal! Got to see their warmth that they feel for each other. Glad to see that Qui told him that he was his Carrier. :D

11. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Beautiful posts, Krystal. :)

I loved the last lines of this post, when Qui-Gon mentions (in that maddeningly non-chalant way of his!) that he was Obi-Wan's carrier. Aw. [face_blush] Very interesting and well-written. I'm hooked. ;)

12. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Hooked another one over here! Nice posts so far. Nice seeing Xan pre-JA. Such a nice boy, *shakes head*

More soon!

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Playing catch-up here.

That was a very sweet post.. it really made me sad knowing where Qui-Gon and Xnantos will eventually end up. Their relationship seems so easy from the Master's comments off ?Actually, most of the time I called you, ?be quiet.? You were a noisy thing; did I tell you?? and Xan's ?It looks just like the trees we passed five minutes ago, and just the ones five minutes before that.? .

Ahhh, I'm happy to see that Qui and Obi's relationship seems just as good. Seems like both of them are concerned with this trip of Obi-Wan's and I must admit to having a bad feeling that Obi-Wan isn't in touch with his mother, but with the Royal Family. I suppose it this distrust I have of people in charge... lol!

Wonderful posts KrystalBlaze.

14. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    Jaxx-w: Thank ye! :) Obi-Wan has always been a passionate person in my view. He had to have been, watching over Luke for all those year on Tatooine. :D Thanks for your kind words.

Kynstar: Mush? I wrote MUSH? *is disturbed* I'm not supposed to write mush! *wails* ;)

Hrmmm why do I have a sneaking suspicion that he will get involved? Hrmmm let his passion get the better of him? Lol. Loved that, for some reason. Thanks so much for your feedback. It's mighty appreciated. :D

LE: Hi LE! :) Thanks very much for the feedback. Your words always make me feel nice. Thanks for stopping by.

Arwen-Jade-Kenobi: I haven't seen you in a LOOONG time! How are you? Glad to I've hooked another one. Always such a great feeling. :) You see, Xanatos didn't start out mean! :D Thanks for reading!

Healder_Leona Welcome to the story! Xanatos and Qui-Gon's relationship has always been such a mystery to me. Sometimes I understand where they laid, yet sometimes I think it happened differently. I HOPE their relationship was easy, as was Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's, but you never know. ;)

Oooh, the Royal Family. Arck. I must say, I've also got that distrust... *shifty eyes* You never know... they're always watching...

*shiver*

Thank you so much for your lovely words! They really made my day. I love it when people quote parts of the fic.

====

Next post will be up in a few. I'm really after constructive critism, my friends. This part is very rough, and I don't like it too much. PLEASE give me that harsh love that will make me better. :)

-Krystal

15. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    ----

Two days later, Obi-Wan stood staring down at the gleaming blue and white planet that was Keliso. He felt through the Force, struggling to feel a connection with that bright sphere. He wasn?t sure how he was supposed to be feeling, exactly. He felt excited, but didn?t know if that was proper word to describe his mood. He felt no connection between his being and the planet that had borne him. He knew many Jedi had gone to their homeworlds and come off better for it, but that did not dictate how this experience would go.

The two day journey had worn on him, and he was eager to touch down. His contact was a member of the monarchy that formed the planet?s government system. Ten minutes of searching in the Archive had heeded more information than he could have wished for, and as he stared into the blue, he thought of it.

The planet was mostly a water world, with more islands than Obi-Wan cared to count. Each was ruled by a monarchy, and those monarchs from each island sat on a Council that met twelve or so times a year, with one monarch ruling it who they called the Supreme Ruler. The Senator that represented Keliso in the Republic was the son of this monarch. Each island produced its own food, own parts, own transports to travel. Obi-Wan was amazed that such a system worked without greed spreading throughout the world. Keliso remained innocent.

Obi-Wan had been born on an island called Harken. The island was ruled by King Tyles and Queen Makail, whose son Eyotal would take the throne once his father passed on. It was rumored the King?s health was failing, and that Eyotal was already handling many of the stately affairs and would soon ascend to the throne.

Obi-Wan was set to meet with an assistant to Eyotal on his initial landing at the docking port. From there, the assistant would take him to the palace where he would stay for as long as he wished. There were secrets, the assistant had said over the com, in the Harken culture that the monarchy wishes to share with you.

Soon they would dock and Obi-Wan would learn just what those secrets were. He was not afraid of meeting these people, but it was strange to him to touch down on his own homeworld. The Jedi had tried to find his blood family, but had not succeeded. He was secretly relived at that. He did not want to meet his mother, nor his father. As Qui-Gon as said, he was passionate. If there was one thing Obi-Wan knew about his persona, it was the fact his emotions sometimes took hold of himself to the point of no return. Everyday he worked to shove that part of him aside, and although he did feel he was getting better at it, he did not want to take the chance of finding a connection with his birth parents.

The monarchy would take him in. They had been very gracious to him, telling him that all Harkens were related in the soul.

They called him a Harken. It unnerved him but fascinated him at the same time, and now pure excitement filled him, pushing aside his anxiety. He was about to find out his culture, and that amazed him. He clenched his fist, looking now at the planet with a stark of confidence in his eyes.

This was, apparently, his home.

-----

The assistant introduced herself as Antoya, and led him to her groundcar smiling deeply. She spoke in the same refined accent as himself, the first person Obi-Wan had ever met who did such a thing. She was very kind and gracious to him, bowing deeply and looking surprised when he did the same. She was silent throughout the trip, and Obi-Wan took the time to survey the landscape.

It was a barren land, save for a few clusters of trees that dotted the land. There was not much activity here. The two mountain ranges on either side of the road poised well above the clouds, their brown cliffs sharp against the cloudy sky. The smell that hit his nose was plain dirt, and he could smell a storm rolling in. He smiled.

He liked this landscape. It appeared to him open and free, and he found a Jedi-like peace in that. It was peaceful here, unlike most of the worlds

16. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    I can see how this could be difficult. The 'time' before the introducing to the royal family. *nod* but well done :) Liked the discriptions of the area and of the people :) Great work! Ahhh their King is dying... how sweet that they 'go with the flow' with whatever the King talks about. One can tell then that they do love their leaders.

Awesome work :) Ya should have more faith in yourself ;)

17. Jaxx_w

Aug 8, 2004
    You've set up a wonderful culture and planet. Very interesting.

Curious as to how much the King's delusions will be actual delusions or more like the truth? Perhaps they are hiding something. I'm rather rubbish at speculation, so I'll leave it at that. I'm sure Obi-Wan's visit will be insightful and interesting whatever the outcome.

Great post. Again with the passionate Obi-Wan. I love it. Completely agree. Love his reactions to the planet. Will he be able to call it home to?

18. snowbee-wan kenobi

snowbee-wan kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2000
    Hi KrystalBlaze...I just found this story and I am really enjoying it. The way you prtray Obi-Wan is great. The first post with Qui-Gon being his Carrier was so sweet. I am really interested to see what happens when he meets the King!

Can't wait for more!
    ~s-wk

19. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Great post, Krystal[/i], only adding to the mystery. :eek: I keep wondering how all of this is going to link up, but I think I'll give up and just wait for you to unveil everything in your wonderful style and language. :) I can't wait for more. And be sure to update the subject bar, so people know it's updated! ;)

20. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Haven't seen you in ages either, Krystal. The evils of RL drove me away *sighs* And I remember about cliffies now, not as evil as it could be , but still minorly annoying. More soon!

21. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    Kynstar: Lol. My problem is I'm a very insecure person, and thus I must always be aware of others' feelings. *reads post* YEAH! ;) I'm glad you liked it, and thanks for reading.

Jaxx:

Curious as to how much the King's delusions will be actual delusions or more like the truth?

Hmmm... dang it, now the story wants to take a turn! *bangs head on desk*

Thanks for reading and commenting. I know, passionate Obi = [face_love]

snowbee: :eek: Another face I haven't seen in FOREVER! Woah... flashback time here. Thank you so much for reading! It's so great to see you posting here. Glad you liked it. :D

LE: I'm not taken to agree with you about my style, but thanks so much for the sweet words. :)Thanks for reminding me about the subject bar; funny how I always forget?

Arwen: *smacks RL* :) Thanks for commenting. Don't let RL drive you again; tis a terrible thing.

Request

Okay, I am in serious need of a beta, or at least someone to just look over the story. I want a very HARSH critique, because I really want this story to be the best it can be. So if you're interested, drop me a PM and we can chat. :D

Also, sorry about lack of updates. School has been hectic up the wazoo these past weeks. Hopefully it'll die soon. :)

-Krystal

22. Jaxx_w

Aug 8, 2004
    *cough cough* up *cough*

23. ca_tron

ca_tron Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 6, 2002
    Excelent story. Wonder what happened to his parents.

24. snowbee-wan kenobi

snowbee-wan kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2000
    Can't wait for more!

25. MistiWhitesun

MistiWhitesun Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    Good story. Please continue.

Is Obi-Wan going to get curious enough to go down the other path? Will the King have some odd ideas about Jedi? Did his mother suffer for giving him to the Jedi? Was his father of the royal family or something? Do they really love the king or do they fear him??

If you mind the above, say so & I'll make sure to not ask any more such potential-spoiler questions.

Keep writing! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.