main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Silhouetted by Light - An Obi-Wan Short Story - [UPDATED June 27th]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by KrystalBlaze, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaxx_w

Jaxx_w Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2004
    Krystal!

Was worried for a moment thinking you were not going to continue this! I'm so glad you are. :) Am happy now. Looking forward to more. Great story.

100 posts yay!

2. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Glad to hear that you'll gonna still post it! :D Oh I soooo understand about not wanting to post until done hehehe I prob should have done that with 'One Lesson Too Many' but ;) it causes me to focus, so that's cool. :D Can't wait until Feb then :D Take ya time and don't feel rushed!

3. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    I'm glad it's not going to be stopped or anything - and that you're writing at any amazing rate :). Will wait patiently until February, then!

4. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    ooh! ooh! it's February!!!! :D any hopes of getting an update this month (*subliminal message: ~soon~*)??? :D

just hoping, that's all ;)

5. snowbee-wan kenobi

snowbee-wan kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2000
  6. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    How did I miss this before? I just started reading, have to run, but will finish later.

7. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Hi! I just wanted to pop in and say I HAVE NOT forgotten this one, and I do plan to post a new post before I leave this week, so either tomorrow or Friday. Please bear in mind I have not posted all I have written, and this is only about a third of the story. I'm halfway done with it with what I haven't posted, so please forgive the tardiness. My high school junior year was just a tough year for me, and my senior year will hopefully be a lot a better.

And keep your fingers crossed I do better on the SAT this Saturday than I did last month!

Thank you all so much for the support!

-Krystal

:)

8. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Senior year is always easier. It was for me at least, I barely had any classes and laid around all the time. :D I hope the same for you, my friend. ;)

9. ninja_noodlehead

ninja_noodlehead Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2005
    It looks great. Hope you write some more.

10. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    And now for the Outdated Author Replies Show...

Jaxx

Looking forward to more. Great story.

100 posts yay!

You've helped make it great, silly. :D Thanks for helping me smooth out all the kinks. You're a doll!

Kynstar

Thanks for the continued support. :) It means so much to me.

Princess_Arulmozhi

Still love the name.

and that you're writing at any amazing rate

lol. The rate stopped when softball started. :) Thanks for your readership, lady. :D

SarkaVrae

*feels bad*

Guilt! Agh. I'm so sorry about not being able to meet my promise. I feel so bad. I know I hate it when authors abandon their stories. I try not to do that on the ones I like. :(

But thank you for the continued reading and commenting.

snowbee

Thanks! :)

jodiwent

Whoop! New reader!... Or old, depending how you look at it. :) Thanks for stopping by.

LE

Senior year is always easier. It was for me at least, I barely had any classes and laid around all the time. I hope the same for you, my friend.

Cripes, I hope so. I only have six classes, and only three of them are actually classes. The other three are electives. Thanks for the support, and I really hope you pay attention to what I said in Broken Cadence about getting a heart attack if you don't post...

So post!

:D

ninja_noodlehead

LOL! I love the name. :) Thanks for stopping by to check out the story. It means the world to me.

And...

now...

finally...

New post in a few minutes!

-Krystal

11. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    Thanks to Jaxx for excellent beta. :D

-----

Obi-Wan was laying prone on his sleep-couch when the wall com chimed. The Separation Drought had been exhausting to learn, and even more exhausting to practice, and he was still tired from the events of the morning. He dragged himself from the sleep-couch and over to the wall com. He scanned the frequency, seeing only enough to recognize it as one coming from outside the palace.

?Obi-Wan?? said Terrell. ?Are you alright? Evan said you were, but he?s known to exaggerate things.?

Obi-Wan leaned against the wall. ?Yes, Terrell, I?m perfectly fine.?

?Hey, no need to get snippy,? Terrell said. ?Are you still tired??

He rubbed his eyes. ?As a matter of fact, yes. I was about to turn in.?

Terrell clucked. ?Probably for the best, Obi-Wan. I?ll be over tomorrow, and we can begin your training.?

Despite himself, Obi-Wan asked, ?What does the training contain??

He heard Terrell sigh over the com. ?Listen, Obi-Wan, I?m also tired, and you need your rest. It?ll take me some physical demonstration to explain to you what must be understood, and so I?ll leave that for tomorrow. The Sea is still angry.?

?Terrell, you keep saying that,? Obi-Wan said. ?But do you know why??

Terrell took a moment, and when he spoke, his voice was slightly unnerved. ?No, Obi-Wan, I don?t. I wish I did. There?s something deeply wrong here, and it?s terrible that I don?t know why.? Obi-Wan could almost hear the frown in Terrell?s voice. ?It?s amazing. I don?t like to brag about my talents as an Adept, but Obi-Wan, I?ve never not known why the Sea feels the way it does. I sat with it for a long time this afternoon, and all it did was lash at me. It won?t let me help.?

Although the explanation seemed almost off the wall and slightly crazy, he decided not to think too much into it tonight. He needed to rest, not only from his Sea-lashing, but from the Separation Drought. Qui-Gon had told him time was needed to recover after the Drought, and it was time he fully intended to take. He pushed himself from the wall and stood.

?Terrell, I?m sorry about not listening to you today,? Obi-Wan said. ?About not pulling away from the Sea?s emotions when I should of. Did the Queen scold you terribly??

The Adept chuckled. ?Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan,? he said. ?I?m not going to say it?s completely my fault, because you should have done what I asked, but I?ll take part of the blame. It was pretty reckless thing to do, going out in the storm when I knew the Sea was angry. I can?t expect the most of you all the time, can I?

?And don?t worry about the Queen. It?s not the first time I?ve had an older woman scream at me. I?m starting to like it now.? He paused. ?You know? the way they?re so dominating and majestic, with faces painted...?

?Good night, Terrell,? Obi-Wan said loudly. He cut the link, and had turned to step back to the sleep-couch when the com chimed again. He scanned the frequency, saw it was coming from inside the palace, and said hello.

?Jedi Kenobi,? came the Queen?s worried voice. ?I?ve been worried. I attempted to contact you a few hours ago and found the reception blocked.?

Obi-Wan fought his groan. He had switched the com off so he could have complete silence as he learned about the Separation Drought. ?I?m sorry, M?lady. I was meditating.?

?Well, that?s fine,? the Queen said tersely. ?How are you? Terrell told me about your? excursion. Are you well??

?I?m perfectly fine, Your Majesty,? Obi-Wan said, hoping the exasperation did not show in his voice. How many times would he have to confirm his good health, the fact he wasn?t going to die anytime soon? ?It was my own fault, actually. Adept Encralt instructed me properly on how to act, and I did not do what he asked.?

The Queen snorted. ?It doesn?t matter, Jedi Kenobi. The fact he went without permission, when two other Adepts were waiting? it?s not the way things are done around her.? She fumed for a moment. ?Terrell tells me he?s positive that you are Sea Dancer talented. Is th

12. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    YAY a post!

Why do I have a a bad feeling about this terrell guy>? *ponders* I shall have to wait and see! More soon!!

13. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    What? Do mine eyes deceive me? <rubs eyes> No they don't...

Yayyy!! Yayyy! She updated! She updated!

<comes down to Earth, and takes a deep, calming breath>

Great post. I was wondering when I would see the irrepressible Terrell the Sea-dancer again, and learn more about Obi's gifts - especially after the Separation Drought. The King is dying...? I wonder what this entails for the political set-up. And there were murders here??!! Who was the woman who was killed when Obi was a year old? Hmm...me sense a mystery here! [face_mischief]

Bravo, as always.

And now tell me you'll update more frequently. [face_praying]

14. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    cool! could this woman be Obi-Wan's mother? or somehow attached to him? Force, i love this story! I'm so glad you posted! :)

great work, still vivid & the pace is exactly where you left it off! thanks for posting! :)

15. Jaxx_w

Jaxx_w Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2004
    What the?.....

Update Hurrah!

Now leave me alone, am busy reading.

EDIT:
    Really want to meet the Prince.

EEK murder! Yes, yes, definately something to take note of.

Fantastic stuff. So glad this is back Krystal, have missed you!

16. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    *pauses at the beautiful new reply screen*

Anyhow...

Onto replies!

*stares*

Onto all four of them!

---

Arwen

Why do I have a a bad feeling about this terrell guy>?

Terrell? A bad feeling? :eek: Not my Terrell! *holds protectively* Jaxx gets first dibs on Evan, but I adore Terrell. I guess you're right to feel slightly off though... *evil glance*

Thanks for reading! Love to see you following.

P_A

Thank you for the wonderfully detailed reply! It made my day to read it. Glad you liked seeing Terrell again; as I said above, I adore him.

I wonder what this entails for the political set-up. And there were murders here??!! Who was the woman who was killed when Obi was a year old?

I wonder too...

Wait, I'm not supposed to wonder! :eek: *struggles to find some sembalance of a plot*

Thanks again!

Sarka

could this woman be Obi-Wan's mother? or somehow attached to him?

Can't say; so sorry. :D But I lurve you!

Force, i love this story![/i]

Aww. *bluhes* Thank you! :D

Jaxx

Really want to meet the Prince.

Aww, the Prince....

I don't like him. :(

Well, any well, at any point I'm putting off writing him. Too difficult, I think.

Thanks for replying, Jaxx, your opinon still means the world to me. :D

-----

Also, everyone, cover art made by my beautiful and kind sister Jerikor

[image=http://www.geocities.com/blazers_ewan/secondsilo.gif]

That's Emil Hirsch posing as Evan and Johnny Depp as Terrell. No copyright infringements intended and for the record I have no idea why the hell she put a wolf in there... but that's me.

And because I'm feeling extra special after seeing ROTS again today, I'm posting a small snippit that may or may not be changed. :D

Hurrah!

Next post in a few minutes!

-Krystal

17. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    There's no mark-coding in this post right now because I don't have time, but I'll probably get around to in the next day. Also notice the semi-decent length. This is the last post you'll probably be getting for a while and for that I'm sorry. :(

Thanks again to Jaxx for the superb beta.

-----

The valley was lovely, majestic and beautiful in every way possible. Terrell stopped the groundcar on the crest of the hill and parked it off to the side. The storm had been a gruesome thing, and the smell still hung in the air. Mud clung to his boots as Obi-Wan followed Terrell across the plain and down a small, dirt path. They descended the valley quickly, becoming lost in the tangles of the greenery and trees.

?We?re going to the ocean?? Obi-Wan asked.

Terrell shrugged. ?There?s a place I want to show you first. This paths leads there, and also to the Sea.? He stopped walking and turned around. ?It?s a six mile walk to the Sea. You up for that??

Obi-Wan glowered. ?Yeah, Terrell, are you??

The Adept grinned and continued on.

Obi-Wan took the time to admire the scenery. It was stunning, as per usual with everything on Harken. Islands, he decided, held the best of everything. Islands were home to exotic plants and animals; mountains were common, and the ocean surrounded everything. And although Obi-Wan knew storms were deadly, there was something uniquely unsettling about them Obi-Wan found addicting. He liked them because they were out of control, and although he longed for control in his life, feasting with storms was grand enough to love.

He soon lost track of time, lost in the senses the forest was feeding him. Thoughts spun lazily in his head, the main ones centering on Antoya. It had been a day since the ball, but so much had happened, their encounter seemed far, far away. He wanted to talk to her, and apologize for what he had said. He had meant every word, but if she didn?t want to hear, he would take the words back.

He liked her. He liked her a lot after only one day. His emotions scared him. He knew he was a young man, and though a Jedi, he knew he also was subject to emotions young men went through. But after one day? That was almost too crazy to think? but yet it had happened. He wanted desperately to be with her, and to apologize, and have her forgive him.

Why was he feeling this way? He thought about the Code, and as always, when he though about the Code, he thought about Siri.

Siri was the only person besides Qui-Gon that Obi-Wan could say he truly loved and cared about. Their short romance had not lasted long. Two years ago, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon had been assigned to a mission that took them to a seedy core planet rich in the black market. When Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon had been caught, the Council had dispatched Siri and her master Adi Gallia to help rescue them. Although they had been found quickly, it was decided for both teams to stay on the planet and try to bring the market down.

They had stayed on the planet for three months, camped out in a small, bleak apartment with little comforts. It had been during those three months when they had been forced to work together, to eat and sleep and live with one another that their friendship had turned into something else. He loved the way she could so bluntly find the way out of a problem; she loved the way he was so harbored within the Force. She was a lovely, real person with so much spark to her it was amazing.

Their relationship was not to be. He had loved her violently in a way the Code forbid. The night they laid together, Siri had sobbed into her hands and cursed him. This was not the way it should be. He had held her, wanting her to take back the words. She would not. She was crazy, she said. This wasn?t supposed to turn out this way. The Code forbid them to love, and the Code was everything to Siri.

She had ended their fling, as she called it. Shortly after that night, they had succeeded in their mission and had been sent back to the Temple. Siri made sure she and her Master were always out of the Temple when they

18. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    So...Obi's training has commenced...and what a way to start too. With a dizzying spell. Loved the way you introduced newer and newer aspects of the Harken Islands. And the flash-back. Hmm...Antoya does seem to be a magnetic personality, doesn't she? :D

Nice work!

19. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    "Much fun, Terrell"

i agree! :)

this post was really cool--you delved back into some Siri/Obi memories, showed us more of what Obi's thinking of Antoya, & started his training...all in one post! :)

too cool & i can't wait for more! :)

20. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Loved the levitating bit! [face_laugh] Well Terrel got his there ;) But Obi got it back with the dust!

Yay we get to see what his training consists of :D

Great chapter! :D

21. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    Now, allow me to reply to all three of you! :)

Kynstar

Glad you like the floating. ;) Terrell had to get his, now, didn't he?

Thankies for the reply!

Sarka

this post was really cool--you delved back into some Siri/Obi memories, showed us more of what Obi's thinking of Antoya, & started his training...all in one post!

Thanks! I want to break this thing down, but I started going through it and it just wasn't happening so you got the long thing. Good to see you liked it. :)

Princess_Arulmozhi

Loved the way you introduced newer and newer aspects of the Harken Islands. And the flash-back. Hmm...Antoya does seem to be a magnetic personality, doesn't she?

Ah, I love detailed posts. :)

Actually, me and Antoya got into something of a scrap... I'm afraid her character is going to turn out much, MUCH darker after the next three or four posts. I've decided I don't like her very much. :mad:

Thank you all!

-Krystal

22. AngryWarrior

AngryWarrior Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
    Up...

Plez post more soon!

23. AngryWarrior

AngryWarrior Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
  24. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    I just read this interesting fic, and I do hope you will finish it soon. :)

You can't just leave Obi-Was like that, can you? [face_worried]

And think of poor Qui-Gon sitting there all summer without his faithful Padawan! :_|

Please! [face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying]

25. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    You can thank Princess_Arulmozhi for reminding me that I still had posts waiting to posted. [:D]

------

"Don't feel into it. The Sea is different. You are different. You are not the Sea. Isolate yourself from it. Feel it lightly, gently. Don't love the Sea right now. You can't. It'll kill you if you love it. Tap the Sea. Sense the emotions."

Obi-Wan stood with Terrell in the line of trees that lined the street next to the Sea.

"Listen to my voice. Concentrate on it. I'm telling you now do not give in. Do not give in. Stay with me. Stay with me."

His back and neck ached. He and Terrell had used almost two dozen nawu plants in their efforts to keep Obi-Wan from passing out. Terrell had done the best he could to keep the ground clear in Obi-Wan's projected fall area, but many times Obi-Wan had fallen the wrong way or had stumbled before collapsing. There were bugs, and ferns and rocks. Sharp, nail like rocks that stuck up from the ground, hidden beneath the grass and nawu plants.

He felt his back now, and felt the dozen blisters and marks that had developed in his three hours in the Valley of the Sky.

"You're not going to feel sick. You don't feel sick right now. You feel nice. You feel like it's a nice day, and your world isn't spinning. You're fine right now."

There was one thing Obi-Wan could say now, though, that he hadn't been able to say at the beginning of the day: he no longer fainted dead away when the nawu plant was thrown into his face. He could survive two, in fact. He felt as fresh and excited as when he learned a new 'saber technique or mastered one. Terrell, still, reminded him that he still had a ways to go before he mastered anything.

"You and the Sea are not one. Listen to my voice. Stay with me. You feel fine right now. You are not going to be sick. The Sea does not control you, nor you the Sea. You are partners together. You want to help the Sea."

He skimmed over Terrell's lessons, repeating them within his mind and reminding himself to breathe.

"I brought the medkit," Terrell said. "You know, just in case. And Evan will be here in a minute with the ground car, so we have a quick evacuation method ready. And it's not raining. And he's bringing extra clothes in case you fall into the Sea again. And I think he's bringing a medkit, too. I've got my com, and he's bringing his. Madame Sharel is on alert in case we come rushing in there. I've got water, and Evan is bringing food in case you need to be grounded. He's got a wasebasket in case you decide to be sick in my car. There's-"

"What do you think I'm going to be doing?" Obi-Wan interrupted. "Sparring? Do you have the funeral pyre waiting to be lit?"

"No, but that's only because Evan thought it would be bad luck," Terrell said, looking disappointed.

Obi-Wan sighed.

"Hey, cheer up," Terrell said. "I'm sure we won't need his medkit. I just wanted to make sure we had all bases covered."

"You're sure I'm ready for this?" Obi-Wan asked. "I mean, I'm not the worst you've ever taught up this point, right?"

Terrell clucked his tongue. "No, you're not the worst. Not the best, but not the worst. You're a perfect balance in the middle. And I think you're ready. Mind you, I still think you're going to pass out, but that comes with the territory. It's all about building up resistance until you find that moment when you connect with the Sea, and it welcomes you. And it'll be a gratifying moment when it does come, I assure here." Here he smiled, his entire face brightening. "It's as if all the world was dimmed, Obi-Wan, before you connect with the Sea. It's such a wonderful experience."

Terrell left Obi-Wan with that thought in his head. Obi-Wan stared out at the waves. They crested, their white foam a stark contrast with the rich blue of the water. He watched as they grew, taller and deeper. The waves on this island were large, reaching to maybe twenty-five feet before dropping. When they did drop, they dropped violently, with the sound of a wet hand hitting a wa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.