Pittsburgh, PA Silly, strange Star Wars references in popular culture

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by greencat336, Dec 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I love SW references in tv shows, movies, commercials, books, comic strips, history lectures, etc. Shows what a part of our culture SW really is. So, I thought it would be fun that when we spot a reference, we share it with our fellow fans :)

I was watching A Very Muppet Christmas last night. Kinda a "Its a Wonderful Life" but with Kermit the Frog instead of Jimmy Stewart. When the angel takes him to a "world where he had never been born" they are transported to this misty place, where you see the back of a green muppet with big ears, whispy white hair and brown clothes. This muppet says "not ready is he" and the angel goes "opps. Wrong world." :D :D
  2. Jedigirl514 Jedi Master

star 3
    i was watching that the other night with my sister! on MAD ABOUT YOU, I was watcing that because I was bored, Paul put pot pans on his ears and said "Hey look, I'm Carrie Fisher"
  3. Heilo Jedi Padawan

The late girlfriend made me go see "The Sweetest Thing", a Cameron Diaz / Romantic Comedy released earlier this year.... ah, I knew how Han felt as he was being tortured by Dath Vader.

Anyway, the love interest of Cameron Diaz and his brother were at a driving range, ya know, the golfing thing. The brother smacked the love interest with his golf club and before I knew it, they were playing "lightsaber duel", (complete with vocal lightsaber effects). I was the only guy in the theater who bust out laughing.... maybe that's why she is the "late" girlfriend.
  4. Noble_Kale Jedi Knight

star 2
    I am not sure if anyone else caught this one, when watching the "Taken" mini-series, but the African-American General in the last several episodes was named General Veers.

5. jedi_1966 Jedi Master

star 3
    Mrs.'66 and I were sitting finishing up wrapping the last of our gifts to go under the tree,waiting to watch "Windtalkers" (which BTW is a really good flick)when a preview of "Serority Boys" came on.In it there was a line that was refering to Chewie,something like "That's just like a Wookiee" and then the guy talking statrs speaking wookiee-speak.
    Really caught me off guard-it was great!
  6. Mrs_jedi_1966 Jedi Master

star 3
    the line was "You look like a Wookie"

When we went to the Improv last weekend ~ the comedian made a reference to Star Wars = but I was laughing too hard to remember what it was now :)
  7. JediDaveFromDaBurgh Jedi Master

star 1
    Probably every one knows this one, but I crack up every time I see it. From American Pie 2. I'll re-create the sceen as best I can.

Stifler: *grabs a football* to Oz: "Go long"

Oz to Jim: "You in?"

Jim: "Na."

Stifler to Oz: "Flank pattern"

Oz: *Stops and turns*

Stifler: "No, further out"

Jim: "What are you doing?"

Stifler: "Going fishing" *Throws the football*

*Oz catches the ball, then falls right in the middle of a group of chicks on the beach, talks alittle, then they all get up and walk towards the beach house.*

Stifler: "Yes, the force is strong in that one"
  8. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Okay, this isn't really popular culture, but it was neat, so . . .

Took the kids to the Science Center on Saturday (still huge lines for AOTC, btw) and in the fish tank was this dark blue fish with red marks all over its head. It looked just like Darth Maul! (except of course it was dark blue, not black) and my nephew pointed it out as a Darth Maul Fish!

I also just bought this DVD called "A Galaxy Far Far Away" its a documentary about SW fans, shot right before the openning of TPM. Although most of the footage is about the very weird fans, it has an ending that is actually pretty complimentary towards fans.

9. pie751 Jedi Youngling

How bout that one TV show where they said a sarcastic/dry remark about 'The Force'?

That was classic.
  10. Jedigirl514 Jedi Master

star 3
    in E.T. there were a bunch of them...Yoda costume, action figures (Lando, Greedo and i forget what else) and there was something else...who remembers?
  11. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Gack, its been ages since I've seen ET . . .

The kids were watching this really odd cartoon, I think it was call Hamtaro?? It was all these hamsters running around, done in Japanese style animation. Anyway, there was a hamster dressed all in black, called Darth Ham.

There was just something a bit disturbing about a Sith hamster.
  12. Stina-Cri Jedi Master

star 4
    on taken it was haloween and the kid i forget his name...i think it was charlie wasw dressed as DV
  13. Mrs_jedi_1966 Jedi Master

star 3
    I just caught the end of "Mallrats" ~ with the whole Jay and Silent Bob skit = hilarious :D
  14. corran_16201 Jedi Knight

star 3
    To add to Mallrats

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back:

Now thats one of the funniest lightsaber fights in all existece.

I can't remeber if their's any in Dogma or not but since its Kevin Smith I'm guessing yes.
  15. ben_ethus Jedi Master

star 4
    Greetings, blokes.

As you suspected/half-remembered Corran, there is in fact a SW reference in Dogma. (Like you said, it's Kevin Smith.)

It's when Jay, Silent Bob, and the Female Main Character are sitting in that diner after she gets attacked. She asks them to go with her, and Jay says something to the effect of...

JAY
    "I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that [expletive deleted]-up bar."

Good stuff.

Loves movies,
    Yours Truly
  16. corran_16201 Jedi Knight

star 3
  17. Mrs_jedi_1966 Jedi Master

star 3
    A re-run of "Everyone Loves Raymond" - Ray asks Debra to "come to the dark side" :)
  18. Pandora_Maul Jedi Knight

In the movie "Reign of Fire" they acted out the most mermorable scene from ESB. The whole scene where Vader tells Luke that he is his father.
  19. DarthDahc Jedi Master

star 3
    I was watching sorority boys today and the one guy pulls a thing of hair out of the sink and says "ahhh it's like a wookie" then does a wookie noise
  20. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Greencat where did you get the DVD for A Galaxy Far Far Away from? I had a VHS copy the maker sent to me for free but I have no idea where it is.
  21. Mrs_jedi_1966 Jedi Master

star 3
    Hey,yeah,where did you get it?
  22. jedi_1966 Jedi Master

star 3
    ...Sorry (as with the IMAX thread)this ^ was me,too.
  23. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I found it at the Border's in Moneroeville. It was the only one on the shelf, but Borders is really good about ordering stuff if you ask for it.

24. jedi_1966 Jedi Master

star 3
    I was just reminded of the reference in the movie "Cocoon" ,where the aleins are ready to leave and Steve Guttenberg is yelling to them "May the Force be with You!"
  25. Pandora_Maul Jedi Knight

There are two recurring names in the Final Fantasy series of games. They are Biggs and Wedge.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.