main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Silly, strange Star Wars references in popular culture

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by greencat336, Dec 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediDaveFromDaBurgh

JediDaveFromDaBurgh Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    And from the classic X-Files episode "Small Potatoes", a woman clams to have had a relationship with Luke Skywalker, and got pregnant by him. Then she starts singing the theme. (Actually, the guy who did the impregnating could change his appearance to look like anyone. It was a very entertaining episode, with him changing his appearance to look like Mulder and tried to "woo" Scully.)

2. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Buffy again (read the 'crossover' article about the Buffy writers in insider?) anyway, the last of the geek villains from last season is complaining about how bored he is. "I'm bored. Episode I bored."

Ouch.

3. Lord_Matthew

Lord_Matthew Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2002
    "episode I bored" ouch thats rough.
    I like Dante and Jeff talking about the contractors on the Second Death Star and the effects of the political ailgnment.
    Not a word about the spelling I am workin on an hours sleep.
    Anyhoo, that scene cracked me up
    thanks
    Matt

4. jaster_meerle

jaster_meerle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    i forget what radio station this was but they were saying that they had the baddest boy ingers out there, and in the background you hear obi wan say: nowhere else will you find such a wretched hive of scum and villanry

5. DarthDahc

DarthDahc Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 4, 2002
    There is alot of these references in jay and silent bob movies but one is clerks was, this guy was saying how all the contractors working on fixing the second death star where killed by the rebels,and thats hundreds of people that were innocent and a guy goes on to say that he wouldn't do a job that he knew endangered himself so they shouldn't have been on the death star anyway

6. corran_16201

corran_16201 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2000
    Jay and Slient Bob are great sources for silly star wars refernece and GL movies in general like my favorite scene in Dogma on the train NO TICKET!

My favorite thing has to be the DVE skit on former mayor Sophie something or rather and Otis
    "Stand back for I whap ya all wit this big BLEEP flashlight"

7. JediDaveFromDaBurgh

Apr 23, 2002
    The radio station for that Ben quote is 105.9 the X.

And who could forget in Austin Powers 2, with Dr. Evil saying "I'd like to call this the 'Death Star'", and then Scott calling him Darth. Classic!

8. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Went to the Improv on Friday night. One funny reference to Chewie and one about Harrison Ford. Neither of which I can put on this PG board :D

9. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Final Fantasy IX came out in 2000 I believe... clearly AFTER TPM. Near the end, my roommate was telling me, the one wise old character says to the young hero "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering!" IT GANKED YODA'S SPEECH WORD FOR WORD!

Another Jersey Chronicles (the collective name for the J&SB movies) classic SW moment is from Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back:

Holden: Why, that's the worst idea I've heard since Greedo shooting first!

10. JediDaveFromDaBurgh

Apr 23, 2002
    Watching the movie Armageddon last week on FX, I forgot about the sceen where Owen Wilson and Ben Aflack (I forget their character's names) were discussing how they relate to characters from SW.

OW: I'd be Han Solo

BA: If anyone would be Han Solo, it be me. You'd be, uh, Chewbacca.

OW: Chewiee?!??! Have you ever seen Star Wars?

11. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    this isn't really popular culture, but when I was in my acting classes down at the public theater this past summer, we got free tickets to the current show, "Fully Commited" this one guy does about 40 parts, and my friend was telling me about how at the show she went to the chair started moving so he was using "the force" and then did all this Dart Vader/ Luke battle thing...I am assuming it was an improv, because it wasn't in the show i went to!

12. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    and another one! on Will and Grace, when Jack's mom finds out he's gay, and he finds out that his dad isn't his real dad and his mom dosn't know who it is...after she leaves Jack and Will are talking

Jack: I hope when I find out who my real father is he dosn't wear a black mask and speak in the voice of James Earl Jones

Will (speaking in a "vader" voice): Luke, you are a homo

13. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    :D :D

I'm watching Farehenhit 451 on AMC (love that book!) and they run an ad to Promo AMC channel (TV for Movie lovers) and all it is is actors and directors talking the opening scene of ANH. They never say SW, they just describe the opening scene and one mentions Princess Leia. One says how impressed he was, seeing film done in a way it never had before (which made me laugh since almost everything Lucas did was based out of mythology and old films)

14. corran_16201

corran_16201 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2000
    As far as I know this is a first. A Star wars refrence in a Non Star Wars Video Game. In Metal Gear Solid 2:Sons of Liberty.

On Shell 1 level B2 theres a small lounge area with a magazine rack. 2 of the Magazines have Jar Jar Binks on them.

15. JediDaveFromDaBurgh

Apr 23, 2002
    While taking a vacation day yesterday, I watched part of the weekly daytime version of "Who Wants to be a Millionare", and the one guy contestant had no lifelines, and was going for, I think, the 250,000 mark. (this isn't word for word)

Contestant: "Help me Obi-one".

A slight pause,

Host: "Is he helping?"

Contestant: laughs "No."

But he got it right!

16. jedi_1966

jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2001
    Mrs.'66 & I were watching a re-run of "Friends" tonight,episode where Monica is seeing a millionaire.They're all sitting in city Perks disscussing what he has and Chandler asks if "he has a lifesize Imperial Stormtrooper?" Monica answers "Two of them"

17. MetalliJedi

MetalliJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    There is one on Buffy almost every week.

18. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Nothing says fun like a cyclical reference!

Watch the logic train roll along on this bad boy...

1) Kevin Smith's Clerks:
    Randall Graves: "You think your average stormtrooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms."

2) Now, check out the SW:CCG Elite Squadron Stormtrooper ... (Hint: Pay close attention to the "lore" at the top of the card.)

Art imitates life imitates art, friends.

Watching the guy across the street watch me watch him,
    Yours Truly

19. Lando_Da_Pimp

Lando_Da_Pimp Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    http://www.nofx.com/user/robin/ritalin.swf

Just weird. That is all I will say.

20. JediDaveFromDaBurgh

Apr 23, 2002
    Flipping through channels last night after a great night of bowling (my team won 2 out of 3, and I was above my avg all night. Now your life is complete knowing this... :cool: ), Happy Gilmore was on, and at the end, Happy sees the image of Chubbs, the Aligator, and Abe Lincoln. Just like Luke seeing Yoda, Ben, and his father at the end of ROTJ.

Yes, LDP, I agree with you. Wierd.

21. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    LDP's link didn't work for me, said page couldn't be displayed :(

Laughed at Ben's trooper card link.

Kevin Smith is a minor deity and his 'New Jersey' films are among the funniest in the universe.

22. JediDaveFromDaBurgh

Apr 23, 2002
    Hmmm... I just found another one in the series Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The main theme for the show is by the band Nerf Herder. I wonder where they got their name...

23. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    MTV's Big Urban Myth Show. The show 'investigates' Urban myths to find out if they are true or not. The myth in question was a SW trading card that pictured C-3PO with an . . . ummmm, lets say that 3PO was a very, very happy droid. Anyway, as you may well know, this one is true. Someone at Lucasfilm or Topps (each blames the other) made this prank card, it was printed up and distributed. There aren't many of them, but they do exist. The MTV people even showed the card "Full Monty". And that droid has nothing to be ashamed of [face_devil]

24. JediJasen

JediJasen Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 15, 2002
    Hey I just watched the movie Saving Silverman yesterday - thought Pattie would like it cause its pretty funny. Anyway the two characters - one being Jack Black are talking about Amanda Peet and saying how evil she is:

She's so evil!

Yeah man, she's like Darth Vader evil.

No, shes the Emperor

Yeah, shes the emporer, except hotter....and with bigger boobs.

LOL! Something like that. SO funny! :p

25. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    In the new insider they mention the lightsaber in "The Pirate Movie" but they forgot to mention taht in the song "I am the very model of a modern Major General" there is a Star Wars reference

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.