main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sil's Personal Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother House' started by Silmarillion, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Well this one's not for the faint hearted, so if you get queasy, stop reading now. I have no idea why I'm typing this because I know everyone can read it, but it's like I'm sharing it with you guys, and in the event that I get kicked out on monday, it'll probably be the only time I'm comfortable saying it.

You guys remember how I told you I had all my ribs broken in surgery? Well it was because my chest wasn't quite right. My rib cage was sort of pressing on my heart and if I hadn't had the surgery, I probably wouldn't be here typing this. I've had it since birth but I was the most active kid you'd find, so it's not like it hampered me or anything.

So, when I was 18 I went to hospital. Basically what they did was cut me open (with a laser - how cool is that?!) and break all my ribs and move them in such a way as they didn't touch my heart any more. Then they put a titanium strut in behind it all and joined metal wires between the bottom of my rib cage and my shoulders (oh yeah, they had to detach my shoulder muscles as well). So the result is, I'm fine now. I ache sometimes but very rarely, and I have pretty cool x-rays to bring out at parties and a mean looking scar as well. And the first question everyone asks when I tell them - do you set airport detectors off, and no I don't. That'd be pretty funny though. The best part was, I had the most fantastic drugs beforehand (man I wish I had an excuse to take them again!) and an epidural and a ton of pethadine afterwards.

So yeah, that's my story and I hope you go and hug someone you love today.

:)

2. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Wow, that's quite a story. And an ordeal. I'm glad you survived all that.

//hugs Kerryn

:)

3. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    <<And the first question everyone asks when I tell them - do you set airport detectors off, and no I don't. That'd be pretty funny though. >>

HAHA, I was going to ask that!

<<The best part was, I had the most fantastic drugs beforehand (man I wish I had an excuse to take them again!) >>

Make up an excuse! Hell, come to Canada, weed is practically legal here now!

4. Jedi Speewwy

Jedi Speewwy Jedi Master star 5

Dec 24, 1999
    Wow! That's so cool! I've never had any kind of surgery. I'm supposed to get my wisdom teeth out soon and it'll be the first time I've ever been put under.

5. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    LOL, wild. :D

Kerryn, wow. Good for you for being brave enough to do that... Yes, you were faced with probably dying, but that's still a huge decision to make in your life. I've never had to ever make such an important decision. :( I'm so glad it went well; there were no complications at all, were there?

Wow, great story! And again, good for you! You're a much braver person than I am.

6. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    wow Kerryn, that sounds really scary! i'm so glad you made it through it okay. i've had major surgeries before too but nothing where my life was actually in danger.

7. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    No complications, April. :)

Thanks guys. :)

8. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Ok, first question:

Can I see the scar?

Second question:

Is there any chance of this complicating your life in the future?

Glad that you had it done. A live Sil is a good Sil.

9. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    Wow, that's great news, Kerryn. :)

10. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    Can I see the scar?

If you come over here, I'll unbutton my shirt for you. Otherwise, no. ;)

Is there any chance of this complicating your life in the future?

Probably, but I'm not going to dwell on it.

11. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    //books flight to see Kerryn

Start unbuttoning. :p

Erik

12. Bithysith

Bithysith Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 6, 2000
    Wow, this means alot that you would feel comfortable enough to share such a personal story with us, Kerryn. It takes a truly brave person to make a decision of such gravity concerning a serious, invasive surgury.
    My hubby had a bi-lateral muscle lengthening/transfer on both his legs... he had to learn how to walk all over again.
    I am awed by both of you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.