main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Similarities between Indy movies and the SW films/other movies?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Jedi_Humaira_Blaine, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    I thought I'd make this thread general enough to include similarities from all the Indy films. Having watched Temple of Doom recently (the last time I watched it I was really little ;)) I noticed that there were scenes in the movie that wwere similar to SW films and perhaps other films.

Here's the one I found particulary amusing:-

In Temple of Doom, (towards the end of the movie) Indy does this stunt where he charges the cult menbers, screaming all the while...then stops when he realises that he's outnumbered, turns around and runs away from them, screaming! [face_laugh]

Doesn't this remind anyone of the scene in SW A New Hope, where Han Solo-again played by Harrison Ford-charges the stormtroopers around the corridor, then turns back and runs away from them, yelling?

I think the only difference was that when chased, Indy ran away from the camera and Han ran towards it. ;)

Wonder if this was planned or just coincidence. :confused:

Anyone? :)

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    It was delibarate, not surprising since Lucas was involved.

Actually there a lot more references and similarities and inspiration between Star Wars and Willow, for example:

Dark Fortress - Death Star
    Franjean and Ruul - R2D2 and C3PO
    Fin Raziel and Bavmorda - OB1 and Palpatine
    General Kael - Darth Vader
    Willow and Madmartigan -Luke and Han
    Magic - The Force
    child destined to save future - boy destined to destroy Empire
    farmer (Willow) eventually learns magic - farmboy (Luke) eventually learns The Force

And of course a few other gags. Of course there are diferences and variations but the core themes of good against evil, about the underdog chacarter having a larger destiny (the hero's quest), etc. are basicly he same in both films.

Hmmm I'll try to remember other ones.

3. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Wow! [face_shocked]

There were so many there! :cool:

I like the Madmartigan similar to Han bit! ;)

They are both guys who keep wisecracking throughout the movie! [face_laugh]

Those lines of theirs are priceless! LOL [face_laugh]

4. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    The entire Indy character is a lot like Han Solo.

5. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Well in particuar Willow and Star Wars are based on the hero's quest as detailed in Campbell's Hero With a Thousand Faces. And of course Lucas and Spielberg from time to time have homages to each other.

6. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Doesn't this remind anyone of the scene in SW A New Hope, where Han Solo-again played by Harrison Ford-charges the stormtroopers around the corridor, then turns back and runs away from them, yelling?

Every. Single. Time. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] The look on his face both times is priceless.

7. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    There are of course the things based, ins[pired, homages and just plain trying to capitalize on the craze. Lots of movies in the 80s were trying to capitalize on the success iof SW and Indy, most of them low budget B cheezy flicks.

One that owes a lot to Indy, and which is quite fun, is King Solomon's Mines starring Richard Chamberlain (as Alan Quatermain), Sharon Stone and even John Rhys Davies plays a bad guy. There was a sequel to it that was not very good though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.