main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Similarities between the Prequel Trilogy and Romeo & Juliet?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by WAF_Hellblazer, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WAF_Hellblazer

WAF_Hellblazer Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    In TPM, Anakin and Padme meet and Anakin falls for her when he doesn't know her. He thinks she's an angel for crying out loud! When Romeo sees Juliet at the Capulet's party, he falls for her, but doesn't know her. He kisses her twice without even knowing her name!

In AOTC, Anakin sees Padme ten years after not seeing her. He claims to have been dreaming about her and the two even get married after being together for a short time. Romeo, lovestruck, goes to Juliet's balcony saying how much he loves her, even though there families don't get along. Juliet tells him that if he really loves her, then they should get married. So they do, the next day.

The Jedi are not supposed to get married and really don't trust the senate. Padme and Anakin get married anyways. Romeo and Juliet are on opposite sides of fewding families, but still get married.
    Also, Anakin hits on Padme several times before they finally kissed. Padme kept trying to stop their feelings before it got in the way of their duty. Juliet tried hard to stop Romeo from ringing her into his love trap. Romeo and Anakin are such players!

C3PO and Obi-Wan were the only ones who knew about Padme and Ankin's relationship, but did nothing to stop it. The same for the Nurse and the Friar in Romeo and Juliet.

Finally, in ROTS, Anakin killed many, many jedi and other beings, but Padme still loved him. Romeo killed Juliet's cousin, but Juliet still loved him.

So, if anyone else has something to say, pro or con with my theory, please type your responses.

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    No,
    There is just a bit more to it than that.

Not that Shakespeare was even original with his play. He based all his plays off so many pre-existing stories. Shakespeare isn't exactly known for his orignality in terms of story creation.

-Seldon

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    No, the only R&J element is the star-crossed lovers / forbidden love thing. The PT is much more Faustian than Shakespearean.

4. WAF_Hellblazer

Apr 21, 2005
    I'm just saying that there's a lot of similar aspects that I've noticed since I read Shakespeares play in English.

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Similar aspects =/= a ripoff

6. WAF_Hellblazer

Apr 21, 2005
    okay, maybe the PT isn't exactly a rip-off of Romeo and Juliet, but you have to admit there are a LOT of similarities between Anakin and Padme's love to Romeo and Juliet.

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    So can we edit your thread title then? :)

8. WAF_Hellblazer

Apr 21, 2005
  9. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

okay, maybe the PT isn't exactly a rip-off of Romeo and Juliet, but you have to admit there are a LOT of similarities between Anakin and Padme's love to Romeo and Juliet.

Name them.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Forbidden Love.
    Star-Crossed Lovers.

11. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Forbidden Love.
    Star-Crossed Lovers.

Gee Strilo, you could apply those to Kermit and Miss Piggy!

There's a lot more differences than there are similarities between R and J and the prequels.

Both of them are dead at the end of the play.

Anakin/Vader is still alive at the end of the PT.

The conflict between the Capulets and the Montagues
    in Romeo and Juliet showed how so much animosity between two families could kill their children.
    I see none of that in the prequels.

Romeo unwittingly commits suicide by taking poison.
    Where's that in the prequels?

The prequels have spaceships and droids, Romeo & Juliet does not!
    ;)

There are actually more similarities between TITANTIC and Romeo and Juliet than between the prequels and Romeo and Juliet. In fact, I heard the shorthand James Cameron used to sell the studio on the project was that the TITANTIC story could be summed up as "Romeo and Juliet Get Dunked."

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Hey I am not the one saying it's a ripoff of R&J. I said it was more Faustian.

13. WAF_Hellblazer

Apr 21, 2005
    Okay there are nore similarities than just star-crossed lovers. Look at my first post!

14. Shurlok-Mo-Dicos

Shurlok-Mo-Dicos Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    Hold on..doesnt juliet have lines and have to act in part three...or is that because a director directed her...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.