main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Similarity/contrast of the "debate " Ep II vs. Ep. IV - Loyalist Committee vs. Starfleet commanders

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by openmind, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I think this is going be tough but I feel it would be interesting to discuss the comparison/contrast between the debate of the use of clones by the Loyalist committee/Chancellor (to stop the Separatists)

While, Starfleet Commanders/Regional Governor(s) to stop the Rebels who have the plans and/or destroy Yavin.

After some deliberation, there seems to be some sort of co-ordination in both. Which GL has constructed and kept in mind. This could possibly lead to understanding the Saga a bit better.

In short I will start :

Ep. II-

Obi Wan informs that the Commerce Guilds/Corporate alliance have pledge armies to Count Dooku ? In other words, the Separatists are getting better equipped and therefore ?more happening? with the Separatists (more dangerous than realized at first).

Bail states that there is no doubt the Separatists are preparing for war.

The three eyes senators voices that they need that Clone army.

Bail says that its not that simple. The Senate will never approve the use of Clones before Separatists attack.

Mas Amedda intervenes : and says that it is a crisis and thus avoid debate (not a concern in this case). The Senate will give Chancellor the power to call for an Army, if proposed by a Senator or rep.

Therefore, with the Clones, they can go to Geonosis and demolish the Separatists.

While in Ep. IV-

Taggart is aware that the Rebel Alliance are too well equipped and more dangerous then most realize.

Motti claims that the Rebels could be, but notwith the Battle station like the DS almost ready/at his disposal.

Taggart replies to Motti that the Rebels would continue to gain support from the Imperial Senate.

Governor Tarkin intervenes : ?the Imperial Senate will not be a concern, as it has been dissolved? that Power has been given to Regional Governors. And that with the DS allowed to operate, the Rebellion can be demolished.

Ep. II, the Jedi know that they have to get Dooku or the Separatists could spread. If not stop the Guilds armies, etc. Timing is important.

Ep. IV : They have to get the DS plans. (and who else but a former Jedi to do that). If not, blow up Yavin in time. Timing is important.

You get the idea. What do you think? Anything to add, something to disregard or totally disagree? I know I must have missed several points, or erred somewhere.

2. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Wow, that's a great point! :) I never picked up on that before. I think this is another instance of GL taking the same idea and using it in a slightly different way, with a different group of people - in the PT it's the heroes that feel under threat from a separatist group, and in the OT, it's the villains who feal under threat from one. The interesting thing is, Death Star plans are involved both times - in AotC, Dooku has the plans, and if Anakin, Obi-Wan and Yoda beat Dooku, they, the heroes, will obtain the plans to the Death Star (though they're not aware of it). The same in the OT - the heroes are also after the plans for the Death Star, but this time, it's already been constructed.

There is a general parallel between the PT and the OT, on a wider level and a personal level. On a wider level, the PT is about the good guys slowly being taken over and defeated by the bad guys; the OT is about the bad guys slowly being taken over and defeated by the good guys. Both trilogies are about the fall of the old order and the rise of a new one. On a personal level with Anakin, the PT is about how a good person turns bad, and the OT is about how a bad person turns good - in TPM Anakin is purely good; in ANH, he's purely bad; in AotC, he starts getting conflicted; in ESB, he starts getting conflicted; in RotS, he completes his journey to the Dark Side; in RotJ, he completes his journey to the good side. So a hero might say something in the PT that is handed to a villain in the OT, and vice versa.

3. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    The interesting thing is, Death Star plans are involved both times - in AotC, Dooku has the plans, and if Anakin, Obi-Wan and Yoda beat Dooku, they, the heroes, will obtain the plans to the Death Star (though they're not aware of it).

The same in the OT - the heroes are also after the plans for the Death Star, but this time, it's already been constructed.

Floored! [face_hypnotized]
    You really got that one from under the rug (under my feet! :D). I didn't even realize this! Awesome. :cool:

There is a general parallel between the PT and the OT, on a wider level and a personal level.

Yeah, this is what is the great thing about the PT. I believe in time, especially after Ep. III there will be a mass embrace of what GL has given, with a few suprises here and there, but in the end it is pure SW.

It will be seen as much Star Wars as was the OT, complementing into one big Saga. Which ofcourse was the idea; if that made sense [face_blush]

4. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    I agree - I think that in years to come, when people look back on the PT, it will gain more acceptance among certain people. When the saga is completed, I think people will start to understand what GL wanted to do with the prequels - not simply make films with the same tone and feel as the OT, but make films that have their own style and feel, that compliment the OT and add depth to it.

5. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    In a way, the Confederacy of Independent Systems is the start of what eventually becomes the Rebellion in the OT.

Great topic :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.