main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Simon Pegg cast as Dengar on the Clone Wars.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by skywalker_san, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skywalker_san

skywalker_san Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 2, 2010
    I... don't know how to feel about this. I like Pegg, but his outspoken hatered of the prequels has spolied my view on him somewhat. Now he's playing a character in a prequel era series. Sounds a bit hypocritical of him.

Discuss.

2. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Nah, he's a Star Wars fan who hated the prequels. He's also an actor.

He gets invited to voice an Ep5 character in a Star Wars animated series, of course he'll jump all over it.

3. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Wait.... WHAT!? That's actually kinda awesome. Doesn't make his appearance any less superfluous, but still, Simon Pegg.

4. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    He also compared Star Wars to being on the recieving end of domestic abuse. As someone who has witnessed domestic abuse I didn't find that apt or amusing. I like some of the films he has been in, but he would have been better off staying away from all things Star Wars in my eyes. This just makes him a hypocrite.

5. skywalker_san

skywalker_san Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 2, 2010
    And if he also felt as strong as he says he does any chance he gets, he would've refused based on principle. It might sound extreme, but you won't see someone else doing this on any other issue (as in, not a geeky issue) without being branded a hypocrete. And make no mistake, there will be severe backlash from the prequel-hating camp... as if Pegg defected from their cause.

6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah and there goes the excuse for not using Serafinowicz.

7. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    The recent influx of celebrity guest VAs just seems like another nail in the coffin.

8. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I swear to God I don't understand this at all...? Seriously... WTF???

Firstly, as pointed out already Pegg hates the prequels with a passion. Now he's starring in a prequel era show? Eh?

Secondly, why the hell would Lucasfilm approach the outspoken Pegg? Why not hire someone like Kevin Smith (just an example, not saying he should play Dengar)? I'd much prefer to have a fan who hasn't said such harsh things about the series to play a part in the CW.

9. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    TCW is not equal to the prequels. Its set in the prequel era, but the setting wasn't why everyone hated on the prequels.

10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    @Bad_Feeling Because the fans know him.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It's a very odd choice... both in terms of the actor himself, and in terms of his being an actor who has been so critical of Lucasfilm, etc. since the prequels.

12. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    I really don't see the big deal. He hates the prequel films, not the prequel era as a whole. Who knows, he might even dig the Clone Wars show...

But in the end of the day, it's a job. He's an actor, there's the role. Go do your work.

13. Bad_Feeling

Oct 3, 2002
    Anyone watch the clip? It doesn't even SOUND like Pegg. Weird.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't understand it either. I mean, he's entitled of not liking the prequels, but he has gone beyond that. And there goes the excuse for Peter Serafinowicz not voicing Maul.

15. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    You should have seen him in Tintin. He and Nick Frost played Thomson and Thompson, and you honestly could not tell the two apart.

16. Bad_Feeling

Oct 3, 2002

17. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Makes sense to me.

The guy is obviously a huge Star Wars fan, finding ways to include SW references in most of his work. So why wouldn't he be up for playing Dengar?

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I guess he doesn't realize that TCW doesn't count as "the original three". It almost makes you wonder if, even after TPM came out, he would have turned down an offer to play a role in AOTC or ROTS...

19. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Probably not.

I don't really understand this distinction that people assign to actors, as if they should only play roles they are fully commited to and endorse, and should refuse any job opportunities that don't fully agree with their opinions, tastes and world views.

If you work in an ad agency, and you have the opportunity to make an ad for Nissan, you'd naturally do it even if you'd said all your life than Nissan cars are the crapiest in the world. It's just a job.

20. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Oh great, a prequel-basher is going to guest star on TCW. Seriously, Pegg needs to shut up with all of his post-1983 SW hatered. We get in, you don't like it. MOVE ON, MORON!:rolleyes:

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, but Pegg took his views to the extreme and keeps spewing his hatred every chance he gets. And now he's going to be on a prequel-era show?[face_plain]

EDIT: Just watched the EW video. It doesn't even sound like him one bit. That's a partial relief, yet makes me scratch my head even more why he was invited to be on.

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Pretty much my opinion.

22. Bad_Feeling

Oct 3, 2002
    Yep, it's a bit of a slap in the face to prequel era fans.

Also, I get that he's a fan of the 'original' trilogy but still, he despises the prequels, and he's taken a role in an arc that is deeply connected to TPM (Maul), a movie that he believes to be one of the worst ever made. Goes to show you, he's a man who spouts off a lot, but not somebody who actually will stand by his words.

23. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    They hired a Prequel hater [face_laugh]

and Peter Serafinowicz made fun of TPM too?

Man, something is screwy here.

Just recently the guy made fun of TPM after its 3D release...

24. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2010
    Pegg is the British version of Kevin Smith, a loud-mouth fanboy who has had unbelievable good luck and will be forgotten long before their "careers" have dwindled into nothing.

But to all those people going on abt how Lucas surrounds himself with "Yes men" -- apparently, the best way to get hired by Lucas is to openly criticize him in the most virulent language possible!

Later guys, I'm getting ready to start a Lucas-hating blog...and to brush up my resume ;)

PS: Sam Whitwer got the rile cause he's a better voice actor than Peter Serafinowicz, IMO.

25. Bad_Feeling

Oct 3, 2002
    [face_laugh] Too true SoG!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.