main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Simon Pegg's Recent Comments

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Bradius, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    Sure. He's bullying people. Whatever.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Yeah, he can. But he shouldn't express his opinion that I'm a dumbass for liking the PT.

People like "Star Wars", but it was also something that resulted in people making fun of you, or bullies wailing on you because you liked something nerdy. Hell, when TPM was about to be released, there were people driving by where fans were waiting in line for months and doing this...

[​IMG]

Nerdom only became acceptable over the last ten years.

If I went around and said that you were a moron for like "Star Wars" and did so at every opportunity that I could, both in public and on social media, I'd be a bully.

3. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Apparently verbal insults aren't bullying.

Darkslayer likes this.
  4. Colwyn Ren

Sep 16, 2015
    This guy gets it.

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    1) I'm not the one sounding ridiculous. Pegg is the one being ridiculous by comparing a movie to infanticide and saying he has no respect for anyone who likes the PT.

2) How is insulting not bullying?

Slicer87 likes this.
  6. Colwyn Ren

Sep 16, 2015
    You are conflating rhetoric and personal verbal assault.

7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    That's exactly what this is.

But I am going to stop now before I get too into it.

8. Colwyn Ren

Sep 16, 2015

I'm starting to think that Pegg might be right. I think I'll go back to simply trying to find the perfect fan-edit that fixes the couple of issues that the PT legitimately has and stay away from this side of the forum in the future. Apparently I'm not a good fit.

9. TheDutchman

TheDutchman Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2015
    spoken as if this is a indisputable fact.

Darkslayer and JoshieHewls like this.
  10. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Except you know very well that verbal assault wasn't the definition of bullying you used. In fact, the definition you went toward was:

which, as we all know isn't the only form of bullying.

Thoix Heoro and Deliveranze like this.
  11. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Wow. This thread....

TX-20, Darkslayer and only one kenobi like this.
  12. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
  13. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    I'm guessing by that you mean 'hey look more prequel fans getting riled up by someone hitting pretty close to the mark again.'

14. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    I think it's childish for anyone to hate someone over a movie, I mean calm down dude I love Star Wars as much as the next guy but at the end of the day it's just a movie. so what if someone hates the PT but loves the OT the bottom line is you like Star Wars lol

Darkslayer likes this.
  15. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

No, I mean saying that one is "bullied" by someone that one doesn't know personally, and will likely never meet face to face.

I mean, I think Pegg was a over the line with the remark, but the reaction here is epically hilarious. I mean, really? Just ignore the guy and move on. There is absolutely no consequence to him not respecting you since he will never meet you!

I'd agree with that, though disrespecting someone is not the same as hating them.

16. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Just ignore the guy and move on

Of course I do ultimately, he's not kicking me in the a$$, but he is everywhere and has been for 15 years. The whole Star Wars world is just imaginary, it only exists in either films and books and comics, or via magazine articles and social media. You are never going to meet anybody involved with it, let alone the planets !

But thats just the point - you create it and build it up in your mind from the media, so if someone is constantly bringing it down to the base reality of the real world it just kinda spoils it. Now of course on the internet and forums you can't expect to exist in a bubble, people are going to have a bash, but then you can think, oh well, I'll just stick to the media and reading about the creative people I admire who make this stuff.

After all that's the most important thing - the creativity in the designs, cartoons, drawings, books comics and films. There is a direct connection between them and pleasure.

What Pegg is doing is trying to do is re-condition you so that those stimuli create displeasure by bursting this bubble - pushing his head through the wall. You can't ignore him because he is part of Star Wars - actually part of this construct built up at a distance from media.

Its actually unprecedented actually in any other 'geek media'. You don't hear people intimitaly involved with Bond calling out fans of certain characters, or people involved with The Hobbit dissing fans for continuing to drink up these things, or Star Trek creatives laughing and calling out fans for their misguided fanaticism...well actually with the latter you do. Mr Pegg.

I'm glad he did that because it shows it's more to do with his character than Star Wars - though people seam happy to associate themselves with such a guy. He's got something to recommend him obviously. With Star Wars though not sure what that is. Does he design stuff and build models? Is he an animator or digital artist? Perhaps he's a set designer.

17. elfdart

elfdart Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 1, 2001
    I don't think he's bullying, so much as Whitta-ing, a common activity among those with little or no talent.

Saga Explorer, TX-20 and JoshieHewls like this.
  18. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Small correction (assuming you mean cast and crew, not characters)...

It's a small world, after all. That's what Disney themselves have been telling us for half a century, right?

Some people here have met some of the cast and crew; or interacted with them via Twitter, Facebook, reddit, or what-have-you. Or they might do so in the future.

I was sat about three feet away from Ian McDiarmid at a play in 2008. He was in it, playing a good part, and I was soaking it all up, on the front row. A prop even landed on my shoe.

We don't live on an especially big or important planet. We are part of a global village that is sustained on top of a fragile blue dot in space. We might all learn to mind our manners a bit more and think more carefully about our actions in the world.

Yes, indeed. Good reflections.

No so-called professional should be bent on shaming others out of an opinion -- least of all an anti-prequel bigot as another Star Wars film is about to debut.

Pegg is more talented than I am, but he doesn't come up to the level of George Lucas, and I think all that creativity in the prequels burns him a bit.

"I burn for Star Wars." Very Freudian, actually.

19. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I call that Newman-ing.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    What did you expect from those people?

Davak24 likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Even though this is old I have to agree with what their saying.

He is allowed to voice his disdain for the prequels, but he could have worded it very differently and he is allowed to work on this film.

I still don't like him as a person, but he is allowed to say whatever he wants about star wars.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  22. elfdart

Apr 1, 2001
    Which Newman?

23. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    No. His comments are not professional, and they are inflammatory.

But when it comes to bashing the prequels, the most vocal people seem to be Hollywood personalities.

I'd imagine that 99% of people that went to see those movies, went to the theater, either liked them or didn't like them, and life moved on.

They don't go online and complete. They don't discuss the genius or lack thereof of Lucas. They just experienced a couple hours of escapism and were either entertained or not, which probably affected whether they saw the rest of the. Discussion about them - positive or negative - between peers at school and the workplace probably subsided within several weeks.

The people that are still vocal about these movies (including people active on these message boards to discuss films over a decade old)- again, whether their opinions are positive or negative - are the hardcore fans. Negative opinions regarding the prequels are still coming frombfans that like the OT and/ books, games, etc.

I'm not aware of someone that dislikes Star Wars in its entirety to be so passionate about it decades after their release.

With people like Pegg though, I believe many actors and directors were inspired by Lucas. There are many nostalgic stories about how that opening scene affected them as children. Many were inspired to get into filmmaking because of Lucas. So when they saw the PT and didn't like itm, I think these people might be affected by it to a a greater degree. When something that made you want to be what you are has now in your opinion been tarnished, I think Pegg probably is burned by the prequels more than the average person.

That doesn't excuse the inflammatory comments. But I have friends that like Star Wars and some that don't. When a Star Wars movie comes out, conversations either end at "I didn't like it." Or they continue for a couple hours about our favorite parts. They don't post on a forum like I do. Star Wars falls of their radar until the next release just like it does for Marvel films or any other film really.

The people that care about the prequels (or OT) to discuss them at all at any length, probably represent a sliver of the population. The individuals discounting the prequels in the media are largely creative types that were likely profoundly affected by the OT. They are still Star Wars fans, and to them they want to redeem the franchise from films that you may or may not have enjoyed.

But of all the people that go to see this film, for most its going to be no more different to them than seeing Avengers or Jurassic World is for probably a lot of people here. They'll go see it. They'll like it or not, but they aren't going to be discussing it weeks, let alone years after its release.

Jedi Knight Fett and Colwyn Ren like this.
  24. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Kyle Newman. He's always determining who is & who isn't a fan based on what number of films they like.

Gate-keeping is a loathsome part of fandom. No matter which "side" you're on.

JoshieHewls likes this.
  25. elfdart

Apr 1, 2001
    Oh OK. I thought you were attacking the late, great Paul Newman and that would be unacceptable.

TX-20 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.