main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Simon Pegg's Recent Comments

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Bradius, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Kyle Newman's fine. He only calls out these so-called "fans" when they continuously bash the films, insult the creator with derogatory terms, and attack the fans who do like the movies they hate. These people tend to spend most of their time spreading their hate for three or four of the films spreading their love for the films they do love. I agree with him in this regard, people like that are not Star Wars fans. Newman's never had an issue with people who simply dislike any of the films and have at least provided constructive criticism about why they dislike the films.

2. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Kyle is great. He likes the prequels, yes, but he's reasonable. Unlike the typical bashers.

3. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    So Simon Pegg thinks the prequels were just pale imitations of the originals, without the soul that made the series great?
    My four word answer: Star Trek Into Darkness.

4. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012

[​IMG]

CaptainSuchandSuch and elfdart like this.
  5. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    If you like Star Wars, you're a Star Wars fan. Be it one film or everything that bears the name.

Strongbow likes this.
  6. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    If a so-called "fan" do nothing but spread hate against something, it's creator(s), and it's fans, then they are by definition not a "fan". If anything, this is like someone who like a western, but hates genre. Liking one or two movies that happen to be westerns doesn't make them a western fan.

Obi-John Kenobi likes this.
  7. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    But it would still make them a fan of those one or two movies.

8. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes, they would be a fan of those two movies. But they would not be a fan of the series.

Obi-John Kenobi and theonea7 like this.
  9. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Even if it's only the holiday special? :D......

TX-20 likes this.
  10. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Especially the Holiday Special.

Thoix Heoro and Deliveranze like this.
  11. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    *mind blown*

:p

TX-20 and Deliveranze like this.
  12. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    I don't care for his opinion because
    1. He's not even a good actor IMO
    2. He's coming off as a hater.
    3. He has to points to what he says,he simply states disrespectful things with no points to back it up. No credibility to me.

13. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I'm not a fan ( heh) of people deciding who is and is not a fan of something. Let people self identify.

I love the OT (mostly), like the PT (mostly) and depise the old EU (mostly). I think Lucas is man of immense talents, but is not terribly self-relexive or deep-thinking. Where do I fall in your assessment? Wait, stop. I don't care. ;)

TX-20, only one kenobi and Colwyn Ren like this.
  14. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    It's never up to me, this I know. But by the actual definition of a "fan", people I described are not fans. In the end it doesn't matter how haters identify; they are simply not fans.

15. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Star Wars is big. Some people will love some parts and hate others. Who cares?

TX-20 likes this.
  16. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    I care when haters do nothing but spend their time spreading their hate while constantly insulting the creator(s) and fans of something they claim to love. Again, by definition these people are not fans nor should they be treated as such by anyone.

Of course, it's fine if someone does not like some aspects of the something they're fans of and present constructive criticism about why they don't. That's the was the vast majority of Star Wars fans behave and there's nothing wrong with that.

17. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    Are we defining what makes a fan again? SWEET!

If you like anything Star Wars, you are a fan.

If you like all 6, you are a fan.

If you like only one, you are a fan.

If you spread hate regarding any aspects of the films or shows or books, but still like something from the SW universe, guess what? You're still a fan!

TX-20 likes this.
  18. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
  19. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I happen to know a guy that loves Star Wars merchandise, collects it all, but dislikes everything else about Star Wars and doesn't consider himself a fan. Odd but true.

20. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I have tried to buy into the hate that these films are utter trash. But I just can't. I enjoy them and find the prequels to enriching to the saga. To me, the original trilogy is certainly a classic trio but their vision is constrained and limited. Great films, but boring food for thought.

The PT makes star wars so much more interesting and thought provoking to me. We certainly wouldn't be getting TFA if it wasn't for them.

As for Pegg, I've lost a lot of respect for the actor. It really is a classless thing to say. Here's hoping he stays away from Star Wars in the future.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Anyone's opinion on a film doesn't bother me. The one thing that bothers me, a lot, is how Pegg turns it around into "If you like them, I have no respect for you". That twists it into a personal attack on a viewer for liking a movie. Which is crossing a line that nobody should. Even if they were in Shaun of the Dead.

22. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    That makes no sense. How is disparaging a group of people a personal attack?

23. CaptainSuchandSuch

CaptainSuchandSuch Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2015
    While I strongly disagree with a lot of the comments I've seen on this board about Star Trek Into Darkness - one of the technically better-made Star Trek films, a bit closer to the character-driven, philosophical, moral and social depths of Trek spirit than it's given credit for (and especially as Trek has already revamped its aesthetic big time with each new TV and movie series), and a superior effort to the very flashy, visual-reliant 2009 movie - I must agree that Into Darkness extremely showcases Simon Pegg's hypocrisy - to say that he does not respect fans of the prequels, and yet to attack Trek fans who did not like Into Darkness, especially when his portrayal was probably the least consistent with the original actor's out of the entire cast, and when the reboot films are more aesthetically estranged from the original 60's TV series than the prequels are from the Original Trilogy.

Star Trek Beyond is the first time I've ever been so pitifully uninterested in an upcoming entry in one of my favorite franchises - I don't trust Paramount's "less Trekky" demands, Fast and Furious director Justin Lin's generic popcorn explosion style, or hit-or-miss comedy writer Pegg himself to do the movie justice. I have a strong feeling Beyond is going to "outdo" Into Darkness so much and make everyone forget about what they didn't like from it, and Pegg, being the principal writer, is going to learn that the hard way.

24. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010

If Pegg wasn't writing I would be a lot more hopeful for the film. I didn't know he attacked fans for not liking Into Darkness but it isn't surprising considering his attitude towards PT fans.

Edit: Also, maybe disparaging a group isn't a personal attack. But it doesn't make it any less terrible. You could substitute PT to ethnic group or religion and things would get VERY ugly.

I don't want to get political, but the point is you shouldn't dismiss an entire group of people based on one thing. It's incredibly narrow minded and childish. I think Simon Pegg has done some solid work. But these comments hurt his professionalism greatly. You shouldn't spit on people who come to see your movies.

25. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    Lumping together a group of fans that like a 15 year-old movie isn't the same as being a racist. #PTFansLivesMatter :rolleyes:

only one kenobi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.