main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Simple Complications -- A Luke/Mara oneshot -- (replies up)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Myriad_Daydreams, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Title: Simple Complications
    Timeframe: One year post-Union
    Characters: Luke, Mara

Summary: Why is it that something so simple can be so trying? Especially for the galaxy?s two greatest heroes in love?

Of all the locations on all the worlds in the entire galaxy, a small card store on Coruscant was not where Mara wanted to spend a brisk afternoon. There were hundreds, even thousands, of more intriguing tasks to fill her time other than this?browsing for a trivial anniversary card for Luke was not one of them.

She wasn?t bothered by the fact that she had gone out of her way to get something for Luke. In fact, she would have gladly produced a nicer token as a gesture of her affection for him, but he had said no. A dozen roses were too cliché, dinner out was a given, and as for a second honeymoon? she was convinced they were still in the honeymoon phase, a trip wasn?t necessary.

Mara grinned to herself, then grimaced as she turned back to the spectacle before her. Why was a card even necessary for such an occasion? A year of marriage was surely a notable achievement, but a card was nothing but folded flimsy with fancy printed lettering. She loved Luke, wasn?t that enough?

According to Leia?s less than subtle hinting nearly a week ago, no. Brought up in traditional, quaint Alderaanian society, Leia was a firm believer in the trivial frivolities of life. Lifeday cards, presents for Fete week, you name it and Leia enforced it like a typical mother. Mara suspected it was a way to keep her galaxy-wide celebrity family with a scrap of normality.

After several more inclinations and prodding from Leia and a bit of her own contemplating, Mara had came to the conclusion that buying Luke a simple card would be no great feat. And in the process she somehow ended up here, staring at seemingly endless rows and selections of holiday cards. She had never felt more out of place in her life.

A dozen or so other customers browsed the aisles without a care. Mara?s eyes narrowed as a female Bothan in the next row picked up approximately her fifteenth card of the afternoon. How was it physically possible to buy that many cards! Two standard hours passed and Mara hadn?t even selected one.

That?s it, she growled. Determined not to fail at any challenge that came her way, Mara Jade Skywalker reached out to the item nearest to her hand, and scanned the cover. A rather fake looking landscape accompanied the words ?[i]I love you more than all the sands on Chandrilla.[/i]?

Her nose wrinkled. From the looks of it, there was hardly any sand on Chandrilla. Has Luke even been to Chandrilla? What if he hasn?t? That would defeat the purpose. Dejected, she returned the card to its slot.

She briefly wondered how everyone else made it look so effortless, and picked up another one from the rack. This time, a rather sickeningly orange Twi?Lek adorned the cover. She opened it and snorted out loud. Were jokes this bad even allowed to be printed? She toyed with the idea of Luke opening this on the day of their anniversary, and tried to picture the look on his face upon reading such an off-color joke. The corners of her mouth curled into a smirk, but she put it back reluctantly.

?I?m 0 for 2,? she mumbled grimly, grabbing yet another. [i]To share my life, to give myself to you, has been the most breathtaking experience of my life. You are my love, and to separate us would?[/i]

Mara almost gagged. How disgustingly perfect. And yet another: [i]Love is a beautiful gift, the most treasured of my life. I have never felt so alive when I am with you. My heart skips a beat, my body? [/i]

A groan escaped her lips and she lifted a hand to her forehead. Luke was supposed to be the sap in this relationship, not her. What if he purchased her one of these romantic cards? The words were poetic for sure, but why print it on a piece of flimsy? Wouldn?t it be better to say it out loud?

Mara?s eyes drifted shut, and she pictured Luke?s farmboy smile and endless devotion to her. None of these cards seemed to fit how she felt about him

2. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Loved it. So, so Luke and Mara. :) Well done, Myriad.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Ok, in the spirit of things, I'll make this review simple ;)

Sweet!!!!! Perfection!!!! You still got it, like you could ever lose it!!!!

[face_love]
    [face_love]
    [face_love]

4. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    glad to see you back, Myriad. very sweet. Mara gave him a card from her heart, not from her pocketbook. ;)

5. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Thank you! For showing how hard card choosing is. And not just for an anniversary. Holidays and birthdays. It's just a piece of paper saying what you want to say. And saying it doesn't set you back a few dollars.

I was hoping they would find one of the new musical cards. When you open it, a love theme starts chiming.

To share my life, to give myself to you, has been the most breathtaking experience of my life. You are my love, and to separate us would?

Mara almost gagged.

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh] I just about keeled over reading that.

Great simple story. Sometimes the most trivial of things can say a lot.

6. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Woot!!! Love it Myriad! I soooooooooo needed some L/M right now!

Bravo! =D=

7. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    What a wonderful viggie!!!
    Funny, sweet, lovable, on the spot with the characters and life-wise too, in an almost Farmboyish way! I'm often a bit sceptic when L/M are portrayed in "earthly business" but this was perfect!
    @};-

8. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    Luke was supposed to be the sap in this relationship, not her.

That sounds about right. [face_love]

Such a sweet story, and the outcome was perfect! =D=

9. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    LOL! I love that they got one another the same card. For all their differences, I think they are very much alike. My favorite part was Luke thinking how there is nothing at all romantic about sand. Great job--you've no idea how much I need L/M goodness right now!

10. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Awwww!! I adored this!! [face_love]
    Loved it, Myriad! So funny, sweet and so perfectly them. Wonderful job!![:D] @};-
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

11. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    Wow myriad, that was beautiful!!!!!!!! I love love love it...as I love everything you write! Life is so crazy right now, I'm so glad that you found the muse! Or rather...that the muse found you!!!!

Love it, bigggggg huggle!!!!!!
    [face_good_luck] Irish

12. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Great little fic. They should save those cards and re-give them next year (I've done that with Valentine's cards. My hubby never remembers that he's already seen it). :p

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Loved it! =D=

So sweet, and innocent. I miss these days. :(

14. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I miss them too, Sinre. :(

Anyway... adorable! Awesome! You wrote that very realistically, too. :D Card-shopping is hard. [face_laugh] And i love them getting each other the same simple one. *Applauds*

15. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Hello, TF.N. Long time no see! These replies are so overdue it's shameful [face_blush]

DaenaBenJen42: Thank you so much!

Jade_eyes: Aw, why thank you :)

Jedi_Liz: I suppose I wasn't quite "back", but thank you anyway! Matters of the heart always top those involving money.

madman007: I thought of this while trying to find a birthday card for a friend, and it occurred to me just how difficult it can be!

Jade_Pilot: Glad I could help!

kataja: I'm often skeptical too, I'm glad you liked it!

path-seeker: Aw, thanks a bunch!

ginchy: Glad I could help, and the idea of the Skywalkers toiling over cards was a silly thought for me, too ;)

dancing_star: Thank you thank you!

Irish_Jedi_Jade: Anytime girlie, anytime [:D]

Jedi-2B: That's a pretty good idea, one I could definitely see the Skywalkers doing, haha.

Sinre: I miss 'em too :( Thanks for stopping by!

RK_Striker_JK_5: Ah, don't we all miss them? Card shopping seems like a happier alternative (though not easier, lol!)

Thanks again, everyone [:D]

16. Atarumaster88

Atarumaster88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2009
    Liked how you placed them in similar places but we got completely different perspectives on the matter from two very different characters. The bit about traps wives set for their husbands kept me amused. Nice and mushy. ;)

If I can make one tiny suggestion, you might swap out "isles" for "aisles". Otherwise, well done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.