main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Simply Ben - (Qui/Obi/OC) - vignette, romance

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Reihla, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    2004 Valentines Day Challenge Winner - Before the Saga

Title: Simply Ben
    Author: Reihla
    Rating: PG
    Genre: Romance (well, it was the valentines challenge, after all...
    Word count: 1999 (the contest was limited to 2000 words)
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, (OC) Kira Organa
    Summary: Unconventional Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn takes an unexpected tactic with his padawan in an attempt to save Obi-Wan a lifetime of regret.

Dedication: This story is for the real "Kira Organa," my friend Susan, who shared my love of creative writing in the Star Wars universe long before the concept of "fan fiction" existed. If you're out there somewhere, I remember you and all the great fun we had! I know you were a Luke fan back in 6th grade, but let's face it, you would have loved the young Obi-Wan more! :D

_ _ _ _ _

A rough hand pressed tight the seal on the envelope before printing the delivery address in bold script on the front. It was risky, mailing this letter, but Qui-Gon felt it was truly the right thing to do. His padawan had obviously scrawled his heart into the document, but he knew Obi-Wan would never send it. At twenty, his apprentice was an exceptional young Jedi, but he would never intentionally break the strict rules of the Order that forbade attachment. Fortunately for Obi-Wan, his master had a more liberal view when it came to matters of the heart.

Qui-Gon knew he shouldn?t have read the letter, but he?d been unable to resist pulling it from the wastebasket. Only powerful emotions could have inspired his padawan to use an actual carbon stylus to place words on parchment. Writing in long-hand was?well, it was very personal. Data disks ? vocal, holographic or typed ? were far more common forms of communication.

Once he?d seen what was written on the page he simply couldn?t drop it back into the trash. The truths in this letter were important and shouldn?t go unsaid for a lifetime. His decision made, he left the small suite he shared with his apprentice and hurried to get the post out on this afternoon?s last transport.

Days later the envelope was delivered by courier to the Royal House of Alderaan. The major-domo handed it to a young woman, a willowy wraith with silvery-blonde hair and sad dark eyes. She barely read the postmark before running to the privacy of her room. With uncharacteristic haste she tore open the envelope. Yes! It was from Obi-Wan. She could almost hear his soft-spoken lyrical tenor as she read the words?

My Lady Kira,

I?m not sure why I?m writing this letter. I know I won?t send it. Perhaps, though, I?ll be able to express the feelings I couldn?t put into words the last time we were together. Please forgive my abrupt departure from Alderaan. I have no excuse save that I was stunned at how hard it was going to be to tell you good-bye. Though I consider myself well spoken I just couldn?t seem to find the words.

Kira smiled, imagining how that must?ve annoyed him.

They?ve come to me now, though. In fact, they spin around in my head constantly. I?m hoping writing them out will silence them once and for all, so I can put aside these confusing feelings and focus on my training. The peace that I once knew eludes me of late.

I want you to know that when Qui-Gon and I came to Alderaan to protect your brother I had no aspirations past the desire to do as the council asked and help keep Bail alive. We take every assassination threat seriously, especially those against the heir-apparent to the Alderaani throne. Your brother is a very important man, but titles and stations aside, I truly believe his wisdom is essential to long-term galactic peace.

As a rule I don?t trust politicians, but you helped me see Bail as more than another Senator with an agenda. Through your eyes I learned he is also a brilliant student, a master tactician, a loving brother, a beloved son, the solemn heir of a peaceful world, and finally, a trusted and faithful friend. As a Jedi, I don?t have many friends outsi

2. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Hi Reihla,

I loved this on the challenge thread, and I loved it now. So moving and touching and such a great portrait of the ways in which Jedi were torn between their honest emotions and their duty.

This line in particular hit me: Somewhere deep in his soul Qui-Gon mourned for the other half of the man he loved like a son, the part no Jedi dared admit to - the man called simply Ben who had loved and been loved in return. A beautiful, emotional line that shows their connection.

Wonderful job!

Shaindl

3. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Very sad but beautifully written. I can see why it won. Great work and congratulations! :)

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Now I know why it won! that was heartbreaking!

5. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Materializing out of the ether to say, "Beautifully, touchingly, achingly done!"

CYN

6. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2001
  7. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Shaindl - ...such a great portrait of the ways in which Jedi were torn between their honest emotions and their duty.

Given the human tendency to develop attachments, I think Jedi falling in love must?ve been far more commonplace than canon makes it seem. I'd like to think so, anyway. Thanks for your comments! :)

obi-ew, DarthIshtar, CYNICAL21 ? Thank you! :D

Passes Jenny_the_Jedi_Girl the Kleenex box?

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That was stunning Reihla, so much emotion has left me tearing.

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    This was beautiful! Got me all teary and now I have to lock the boys out of the computer room so they don't howl with laughter at my "girly" tears. Wonderful job!
    Kimberley

10. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Thanks Healer_Leona and DarthLVR64!

[face_mischief] Well, since everyone is in tears, looks like my work here is done! :p

Seriously, though, I'd just like to thank everyone who has left me feedback (both public and private). This was my first post to the Before the Saga board and everyone I've met has been very helpful and welcoming.

11. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    I hear your voice in my dreams sometimes, whispering the Alderaani name you picked for me¡¦ Ben¡¦ I¡¯m not sure how I feel knowing you call me after your small furry pet, but you had a point. Obi-Wan is a bit too pretentious to mutter between kisses. I enjoy knowing you call me something no one else does.

I like that twist, Reihla. Very beautiful. I wish Obi-Wan would talk that way about me.

~aeryn

12. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Thanks Aeryn!

I wish Obi-Wan would talk that way about me.

You and me both! [face_love]

13. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    I just wanted to drop a note with a big THANK YOU :D to those who nominated this story for the Summer fanfic awards. It is an incredible feeling to know this little tale left such an impression that folks remembered it months after the fact. Even in the event that it doesn't make it to the actual voting round I feel very, very privileged to be listed among the other awesomely talented authors on this board.

Thanks guys!

- Reih

14. anekasolo

anekasolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2001
    one word: wonderful

15. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    This was amazing and beautifully written. Wonderful work!

16. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    anekasolo and LukesTheMan - Thank you both for reading and for letting me know you liked the story! :D

17. CapNJaxWench

CapNJaxWench Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2004
    This WAS sad, but so well written! You did a wonderful job with these characters. Very, very beautiful work!

Likewise, Kira thought. Obi-Wan wasn?t the only one who felt gifted. He?d given her a piece of an impossible dream, a glimpse into the future she knew she couldn?t have. Now, at least she had touched that goal. At least she knew what it was to love someone. She would be forever grateful to the man who had denied all he believed in to make it possible.

Love is a gift, no matter the outcome. Again, very well done.

18. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Thanks CapNJaxWench!

Love is a gift, no matter the outcome.

I don't usually write with a moral in mind, but if this story had one, that was it. :D

19. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    :_|

This was beautiful! I was nearly in tears at the end and that doesn't happen very often!

So wonderfully written with so many lovely sentiments. :)

Very, very lovely.

*sigh*

~ Jedikma :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.