main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Sims3

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by moosemousse, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    So I was lying in bed not sleeping when I had an idea. That idea is to write fanfic about my Sims3 characters and post it on here. With the PC version I could post pictures to go with it. It is inspired a little by this thread in the JCC, which is always good.

Is it a good idea? Is it better suited to fanart? Or is it best left off the boards all together?

2. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Could The Sims be considered a fandom? I've never played it, so I wouldn't know. Does it have any rules or conventions like, say World of Warcraft, or is it just a re-creation of everyday life? I think if you can distinguish it from everyday life in a way that makes it recognizably part of The Sims' universe, that would work, but if by reading it you wouldn't be able to tell where it's from, I think it should be treated as original fiction.

Just my two cents.

3. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Interesting. I am a big fan of Sims 3. You bring up a good question.

4. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    If I were to do this then I'd definitely make it as Sim-y as I can.

5. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    I think it could be done, in the way D&D could. There are some characters and settings in the games that would specifically mark a fanfic. And there's Simlish, of course. On the other hand, just writing about your own characters going about their own lives can easily turn into an original piece "inspired by" the game, which isn't the same as a fanfic.

6. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    One idea I've had for doing this is that I'm playing the Sims when I've suddenly been transported into the world of the Sims. That way I can make references to it being the Sims, like when they talk they have a bubble over their head with a picture in so the player knows what they're talking about, that could be added to the story. There's also the place names where they can live, like Riverview which is a a free town that can be downloaded from the Sims3 site.

7. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Sounds good. I'd count that as fan fiction. :)

8. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I think it would be interesting to read Fan Fiction about the Sims. I'm a member to a set of forums dedicated for the Sims and they have several different boards dedicated to posting and writing stories about the game characters that you either create yourself or come with the game. I'm not sure how it could be applied here though.

9. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Perhaps do a spoof of a fandom and the characters can only do what they can do in the Sims 3 video game. People have made some very funny movie spoofs using Sims 3 including Iron Man, Star Trek 2009, and Twilight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.