main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Since Disney is making a bunch of Star Wars Spinoffs...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Tackelberry, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014
    Do you think they'll just stick to live action, or might they use the animation style of TCW/Rebels and make a spinoff movie. For example, let's say there's an Ahsoka movie. Would you want it animated or live action? Would animation be too much of a turn off for the "casual" fans?

2. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I'd like it to be live action. But they'd have to find the right person for the part. I mean, especially if they do a Boba Fett movie.

Animation could be good as well. I wonder if they'd use the Rebels Animation style for it?

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I can almost see them taking a Big Hero 6 approach and adapt a lesser known SW story into an animated film, maybe or maybe not making it canon. I mean hell, Treasure Planet was pretty much a SW movie, so it's not like they're against doing a space fantasy film as part of the Disney Animated Canon.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    TCW movie did not do well in theater. I think an animated movie would have to be marketed well, but we're talking about Disney here.

I'd say stick to animation for TV show characters and live action for movie character spinoffs.

captainkenbo likes this.
  5. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    The Rebels series finale might not be on TV and the last episode before will just make a last minute surprise that one of Disney's unknown spinoffs will just be a live-action Rebels series finale film.

6. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    If it's a movie about Ahsoka, I think they would keep it animated and I would like for it to be animated.

The spinoff movies from what I understand that have been rumored are one for Han Solo and another for Boba Fett. I think there was another rumored but I don't remember what it is, but both of those would make sense to be live action. Stuff like if they did a series, or a few movies for Rogue Squadron would also make sense to be live action, but I can also see where this could be animated for a series. TCW made sense to be animated because there were so many different locations that building or constructing sets or portions of the sets and CGI'ing the rest of it would be cost prohibitive IMO.

I know this is a little off topic, but due to having watched so many tv series over the years and gotten burned because the series is canned and can't finish its story, but I really would like a series that is limited in how many episodes it gets. Whether it is a season order of 22 episodes or a limited run of 12 or 13 episodes, it should tell one self contained story with a clear beginning and end. They could leave it open with the option to do another story though.

As to the style of animation, I think what we are seeing in Rebels is a balance between speed of production and adequate/pleasing visual pleasure. Meaning that I don't expect to see the level of detail in the characters that we see in movies like Frozen, Wreck-it Ralph, Big Hero 6, Brave, or Tangled. For instance the level of detail in the hair for the characters in movies is higher than what we have in Rebels. I don't have a problem with the animation style at all, just pointing out that the level of detail is different and that if they did do an animated movie, the expectation would be higher.

The problem with animation is that most adults probably won't be as likely to watch an animated series or movie. I think they would have a difficult time selling an animated movie to casual fans of the franchise given that the PT an OT are both live action, and now the ST will be as well. If Disney wants to have the pull with the Star Wars franchise that they have now with Marvel and the MCU, they need to do a live action series or movie to get the attention of an older audience.

7. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
    After the failure that was the TCW movie, I don't think we're gonna see one.

8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Isnt Rebels mining or flatout using ideas and stories from the defunct Star Wars: Underworld scripts?

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    jabberwalkie , I agree, and I think part of the problem with TCW was there was no clear ending. I know the producers were not expecting it to get canned with the Disney buyout but it was a show intended to cover a three-year time frame and should have been planned as such, even if it allowed itself more than three seasons.

I'm hoping Rebels has a definitive plan to end at, say, handing the Death Star plans to Leia, without getting to the point where they are just making up episodes just to keep the show going.

As far as an animated movie...it could be marketed to kids. And there are plenty of adults who go see Disney animated movies.

Both Rebels and TCW are considered "kids' shows" but here we are. And I'd watch the hell out of an animated A New Dawn in the theater.

10. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    A live action spinoff of an animated character wouldn't bother me, so long as whatever actor they got was a good fit for the role, both in appearance, mannerisms, approximate voice and accent*, and generally good acting ability.

*I guess you could use anyone, like someone who looked the part, even if they didn't have the right sound, and then voice over them with someone else, possibly the original voice actor from the animated show. It would be a little more awkward though. It's been done before in SW though. Darth Maul's voice in TPM was not Ray Park.

11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Vader wasn't Dave, either. :p I think it really depends whom the film centres around and what the story is about which style of presentation fits however I prefer live action as I strongly dislike SW animation types.

Darth Valkyrus likes this.
  12. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    The animation is OK most of the time but I always thought TCW animation was weak when depicting:
    • Lightsaber-on-lightsaber combat.
    • Running.
    It would probably have been better if they'd used motion capture for the combat and extended running scenes.

13. captainkenbo

captainkenbo Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 21, 2014
    I could see them doing some sort of animated spin off special some time maybe like 42 minutes instead of 22.. it could be focused on a minor character from Rebels

And Darth Valkyrus Yeah I agree running was a little weird but it's only a small issue for me since TCW season 5 maybe 6 animation was like some of the best if not the best 3D animation for a TV show

14. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I didn't have much of a problem with where it ended, but it was rather apparent that they intended to have the show run all the way up to ROTS. Unfortunately, the way Lucas did things (allowing TCW to be made after ROTS) more development on Anakin after Ahsoka left the Order would have been nice... Kenobi sensing Anakin and Padme's true relationship and turning more of a blind eye to it but knowing that it was against the principles of the Jedi Order would also be interesting. Kenobi held steadfastly to the Jedi beliefs, it would have been interesting to see how he wrestled internally with the conflict of letting Anakin continue to live a secret life with Padme. Meh, things that never were and will never be I guess.

Agreed, I think that running all the way up to the start of ANH would be a nice way to round out not only the series. Also the role of the crew of the Ghost would be shown to be important to not only the series, but the franchise universe as well at that point and would answer the question as to why follow this crew and these characters?

While the first half is true, it needs to be noted that a lot of adults that go and see Disney animated movies have children or family relations that are children and accompany them to the movie. I don't doubt that if it was marketed to kids that it would be moderately successful in theater, but probably not to the standard that Disney is accustomed. That statement was mostly targeted at adults who are either unmarried or have no children.

15. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It's a little silly to assume singles don't watch animation, I do. :p

16. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I said a lot and most. A lot does not equal all or even mean a vast majority. ;)

CoolyFett likes this.
  17. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002

I feel like that girl from ANT Farm, China McClain would be perfect for Ahsoka, not that I watch that show lol

18. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    I assume you're talking about releasing an animated SW film to cinemas?
    Then, no.
    But I would love for the remainder of Ahsoka's story to be told in her own little animated TV film.
    Same goes for other TCW & Rebels characters. I love what Filoni & his team have done on both of those shows and I want more, lol.

Tbh, I'd rather have more SW animated content than a Boba Fett or Han Solo live-action spin-off film... don't kill me.

19. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Or a mini-series (3 or 5 episodes) to tell the story, but I highly doubt this will happen for any other character other than Ahsoka and even that is doubtful. If it did, I would purchase the material/episodes as fast as possible

Yeah, can't say I disagree with this but you know you (and yes I will) go see it anyways because we are suckers for Star Wars.

20. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014

Oh absolutely ;)
    The spin-off films right now just don't SOUND as exciting to me as Eps 7, 8, & 9 (for a variety of reasons. some I can pin down. others I can't?) but once I start to see them materialize, some excitement will creek up on me.

21. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I think it will depend largely on the time in the characters' fictional story they decide to do....

22. lowell

Sep 11, 2014
    Just be glad we're getting new Lucasfilm movies since Disney bought it. Thank the House of Mouse!

whostheBossk likes this.
  23. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    I think I'm going to be sick.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  24. lowell

Sep 11, 2014
    At least these new movies would be better than Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

25. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    It really depends on the animation style, but generally I prefer Live Action.