main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Since Eps. VII to IX are a no-go, aren't the prequels kind of pointless?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Sapno Krei, Apr 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    i think lucas had no intention of making 7 8 and 9 when he made jedi because he already killed off the emperor. i'm sure it was burnout he just wanted to finish the saga and sometime later, much later, he decided to make the prequels since he was that burned out from it and am sure he is utterly burned out on it again this time for the rest of his life

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I think the backstory of Anakin needed to be told,we wanted to see who the man behind the mask was...

Besides fighting Stormtroopers can grow tiresome after a while...

3. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    I'm actually sort of jealous of younger kids, because they will be able to watch the series chronologically for the first time, with all the surprises and drama intact. They'll always remember the story that way, while we "old folks" will always remember it the other way around.

That's sort of my opinion on the whole thing. As awesome as the prequels are(IMO), they really weren't made for our generation of viewers. Lucas is completing a saga, and we just happen to be watching as he puts it together piece by piece in the wrong direction. In a way it's neat that we view the prequels in a way that no other generation ever will, but our way isn't the truly intended way IMO.

I will always be happy the prequels were made, however.

4. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    the key events of 7 8 and 9 were all condensed into ROTJ, so its not like that part of the story is missing it just happens sooner.

5. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    exactly LordRevan ;)

-Mel

6. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    Good Stuff

7. Darth_Board

Darth_Board Jedi Master star 1

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, just to reiterate a little: Lucas has publicly stated that he realized he could wrap up the story with episode 6 so he had no desire to do any more.

At one point there were actually rumored to be 12 parts to the the Star Wars saga. This was very early and was changed quickly to 9, with Lucas saying the last three would focus on a character introduced in "Star Wars 3" (whether that means episode 3 or ROTJ no one knows). Lucas has since said that the 9 part saga was more of a marketing thing than anything that had to do with the story he wanted to tell.

As he said in the recent 60 Minutes interview, there is no question for him: "There is no episode 7."

8. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    thank god.
    he might have turned the EU upside down...

-Mel

9. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    To me Eps one, two, and three will never be pointless. For me they inrich Eps four, five, and six. They add more to the story and just make it bigger then it was before. I have really enjoyed the prequels so far. But for me I don't really look at it as the PT and OT much any more. To me it is the Star Wars Saga.

10. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    excellent =D=

-Mel

11. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Lucas has since said that the 9 part saga was more of a marketing thing than anything that had to do with the story he wanted to tell.

Also the fact that ROTJ had pretty much disintegrated his marriage and his private life as well as putting Lucasfilm in the debt-red-line (during production) again. Everytime he made a SW movie back then it took another chunk out of his life, chewed it up and spat it down the drain. The films were killing him.

12. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    And now he's getting his revenge against them ;)

LOL, sorry too hard to resist.

13. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    heheheheh [face_laugh]

The Revenge of George Lucas

-Mel

14. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I figured that events in Episodes I - III must a) have a close connection to the events in Episodes VII - IX or

What can we say? You were wrong. There was never anything to make us think the PT was setting us up for a Sequel Trilogy. Unsubstantiated rumors, yes, but by all accounts Lucas has been pounding it into our skulls from Day One that the Prequels were to show how ANakin fell and set up the Original trilogy. The PT has done this (pretty well, I think), so THAT is the purpose.

15. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Wow. So I read this great response, and I look at the name -- could it be my old friend Gomer?!

"The prequels are half the story of one full story.

Without them, we end up seeing the redemption of someone we never met.

I think the classic trilogy wasn't as meaningful without the prequels."

Well said my friend. That is exactly what I think.

Let me add some extra perspective. Lucas was asked to describe the entire Star Wars Trilogy, the OT, in one word. He said "redemption." If that's what it is really about, and it makes since that it is, who would care about this redemption all that much if you never even knew the real person, the good person? In ANH, Vader isn't even a character, he is just a stereotype. He becomes a character in ESB and then more in ROTJ. With the prequels as back story, now it's meaningful. It really adds so much to the OT, if you can't enjoy the OT more after the prequels, something is seriously wrong...

16. aesium

aesium Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2004
    <i>7, 8, and 9 were condensed into RotJ</i>

I would think that would be great to see in three different films. There would have to be additional side stories added though, wouldn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.