main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Since Jedi reject emotion aren't they capable of evil just like the Sith?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by DarthMarik, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMarik

DarthMarik Jedi Master

Sep 23, 2012
    I've been playing the online game and have come to the conclusion that while both Sith and Jedi philosophies make good points both are capable of great destruction. For example a Jedi who completely forsakes emotion might begin to see emotion as abhorrent and seek to destroy all traces of emotion and thus all life. It seems that from a unbiased point of view both Sith and Jedi have the capacity to cause destruction.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's not so much "reject emotion" as "reject the idea of letting emotions control their actions".

3. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    The whole philosophy of the Sith is one based on using their anger for their power. On inducing fear to intimidate their enemies. So emotion is the main source of the Siths strength. And a anger is a powerful emotion.

4. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    which ironic since most Sith act cool as cucumbers a lot of the time

i've not really seen a Grant Mitchell type Sith

5. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah that's a point. A Sith who goes into a bar looking for aggro cause he's pissed off.

6. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    hey, suits what they represent right?

to look at any of the Sith you wouldn't think they were pissed off in any way

7. DavraCahan

DavraCahan Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 3, 2013
    A true Jedi is completely selfless. A true Sith is completely selfish. Regardless of demeanor, it's their intention to either support life or destroy it that makes the difference. You have to remember what each faction stands for. Peace and balance, or domination and hatred.

Swtor is an enjoyable game and all, but it's not the final authority on the SW galaxy. :)

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "destroying life" isn't exactly in a Sith's best interest though.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "Reject emotion"?

LOL wut?

The Jedi teach emotional control. Everyone has emotions; in the films there are plenty of instances of Jedi in pain. I can think of scenes with Obi-Wan, Yoda and Mace within about two seconds; I could come up with many more if I put any effort into it. What the Jedi teach is to not use emotions as a basis for decision making, but instead to use rational thought and a perception of what choice would be best for the greater good of the galaxy (as opposed to the good of an individual person or a few individual people).

The Sith teach rule by emotion. They teach people to take their passions and run with it. Anger is a primary one they focus on, because anger is the most passionate emotion and it also is most likely to multiply itself and lead to destruction. Think about it--when we are angry and we sit around and focus on how angry we are, we become angrier. The Sith prefer this.

Nothing wrong with what the Jedi teach. Some people, like Anakin Skywalker, prefer to act on their emotions and don't understand why that can be harmful, hence why they are ripe for Sith picking.

missile, Eryndil and Valairy Scot like this.
  10. DavraCahan

Mar 3, 2013
    Which is why they're dumb. They take pleasure in death and destruction, against their best interests. :)

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    We don't actually get to see much of the Sith, besides from the point of view of the Jedi.

The EU tends to go into a bit more detail on "Sith societies".

12. DavraCahan

Mar 3, 2013

I never did get around to reading about the "lost tribe" and all that, they seem to be a completely different type of Sith. But from the whole Rule of Two thing, with Revan and Bane to Palpatine, Lumiya and Caedus, it's pretty clear that the desire to dominate and/or destroy others is their main goal in life.

But then, what applies to one faction of Sith may not apply to others. Like I said, I don't know much about the Lost Tribe, just that they based their society on the tenents of the old Sith order and so they use the dark side of the Force.

But then, lately, writers have been sort of glorifying the dark side; trying to say that just because someone uses the dark side it doesn't make them evil. But that's for each of us to decide on our own.

Back on track, though, anyone is capable of evil, but when a Jedi kills for revenge, he gets expelled from the Order. When a Sith kills for revenge, he gets promoted.

13. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    you can argue Kenobi killed Maul in revenge

14. DavraCahan

Mar 3, 2013
    You could, but it's just as fair to say it was simply self defense. We don't really know what Obi Wan was thinking at the time.

15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    You could, but the music cue (Force theme) suggests he released his anger which allowed him to think of how to escape the pit, leading to his actually escaping the pit to bisect Maul.

serendipityaey likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd actually be OK with Obi-Wan killing Maul because he was royally pissed off and traumatized from watching Qui-Gon get cut down in front of him. Jedi are human/sentient beings, not Superheroes of Zen.

But that said, Obi-Wan was fighting for his life there, it's not like Maul was defenseless or had surrendered.

serendipityaey and benknobi1 like this.
  17. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    Made me think of Vulcans when I read the title ;) LOL
    I agree..Jedi don't reject emotion, they don't let it rule them or control their lives.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Everyone can become evil. The Jedi are evil from a certain point of view. EVERYONE IS EVIL!

darth fluffy and Admiral Volshe like this.
  19. Tevase2

Tevase2 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2011
    It would be Ironic to see a sith have an emotional breakdown.

20. Darth Liberatus

Darth Liberatus Jedi Padawan star 1

May 13, 2013
    Very good point OP, and definitely possible. Being Jedi or Sith is not about being good or evil. There can be a good or evil Jedi and there can be a good or evil Sith.
    Some Jedi take it farther than others. Compare it to real life religion. Most religious people are peaceful, but some use their religions as tools of destruction.
    No. The Sith philosophy is about passion, not anger or fear.
    Not in the slightest. Being Jedi is about rejecting emotion in favour of peace and tranquility. Being Sith is about using emotion to gain power. Someone could care only about inner peace and not at all about the wellbeing of others and still fully embrace the Jedi philosophy. Someone could strive for unlimited power with the intention of using it for good and use the ways of the Sith to reach that goal.
    'There is no emotion.' -Jedi code
    'No' sounds pretty absolute to me.
    All of your points are very subjective. Things change over time. The Jedi and Sith philosophies are very basic principles; either one can be used for selfish reasons and either one can be used for selfless reasons. Sure, during a certain time period the Jedi Order would expel a Jedi for killing in vengeance. During a certain time period the Sith Order would promote for killing in vengeance. It doesn't mean things are always this way.

21. DavraCahan

Mar 3, 2013
    When I look at the Sith Code, I don't see very many "good intentions". Just saying...

Every Sith I've seen, in books, movies, games and tv, has considered selflessness a weakness. Fortunately for their enemies, they were dead wrong about that. It is true though, there were times when the Jedi and Sith did not even exist in any meaningful way and so things could change from time to time.

Basically, in my experience, there's no such thing as a selfless Sith. There are confused Sith who almost think that they're actually doing good by murdering and dominating others (Caedus), and there are unstable Sith who imagine that they are good and everyone else is evil (Vader). But a truly "good" Sith? That would be a very interesting story. People talk about "fallen Jedi" all the time, but you don't hear about a "risen Sith" too often. ;)

22. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Risen sith would be awesome to see...

23. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    what annoyed me was Yoda's stupid advice in ROTS

"MOURN THEM DO NOT, MISS THEM DO NOT"

uhhm no, I don't know how Yoda's species works but that is not how humans work, asking them to shut out grief isn't exactly healthy, any doctor or thearpist will tell you that

then he comes out with

"attatchment leads to jealousy"

which is no way makes sense with his first statement, not to mention it's a load of BS

it's like saying

"so i went to the park this morning, soil is full of worms"

24. SithGodofAbsolution

SithGodofAbsolution Jedi Padawan

May 16, 2013
    that PAth is Hectic

As if I would Let you hear me

Say

Diiiee nee in hell

25. Darth Liberatus

Darth Liberatus Jedi Padawan star 1

May 13, 2013
    The same can be said about the Jedi code. Neither has any implications of morality or immorality. The objective of the Sith code is to gain power. Power can be used for good. The objective of the Jedi code is to gain peace. This can be used to gain inner peace for personal reasons.

Look up Darth Vectivus. The reason most Sith are evil is partly because most before them were evil so the path of the Sith is scary to people with good intentions and they don't even consider it, and partly because Sith is a pathway to so much power that most people become corrupted by it. The same is true in real life. You don't see many good people in positions with a lot of political power because even the people with good intentions become corrupted; that doesn't mean that someone with a strong will can't remain moral despite having a lot of power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.