main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Since the Pyrus topic is closed.....

Discussion in 'Communications' started by toochilled, Oct 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    See my edit.

Can you or you can you not tell me why he was selected?

EDIT- Coming from Pyrus, I would view it as a prank. But then you'd have to have been here a while to recognize it as such...

2. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    There was a discussion, with input from both the staff, and virtually every active moderator.

Nathan was settled on for various reasons, and with full support. The biggest concern was that shortsighted people would instinctively scream "But he's so young! This place must be going to the kiddies!"

Hmm. Oh, and see *my* edit.

Vertical

3. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    What were the "various reasons"? I'm just curious.

4. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    I've been here a while, AJA. Posting links to defamatory crap ripped from private forums is hardly a prank. But I guess you'd have to be on the receiving end of the 'prank' to understand that. I'm sure it's all a barrel of laughs to you.

Vertical

5. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    I didn't see it, so I don't have the information to judge. If he posted links to the mod forum, he'd only be exposing what you guys said, so on some level, you'd be defaming yourselves, right?

6. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    No, AJA, don't pretend to be so naive. He posted more than just Mod Squad links. And posting selective quotes and threads that he chose which would cast people in the worst light possible, when taken out of context...

Eh, you know what, forget it, AJA. You're agenda is quite clear. What Pyrus did was A-OK to you. We'll agree to disagree.

Vertical

7. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    I didn't say it was OK, but it wasn't deserving of what he got, and it seems that punishment was the result of error on the part of a teenager. It's not something I would have done myself, but wiping the guy out for it isn't right.

8. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    OK, maybe you missed this the first dozen or so times:

We know it was a mistake. Everyone involve agrees. Your tirade is pointless. We agree. And your "on the part of a teenager" ad hominem attacks are completely uncalled for. There's absolutely no reason to think that his age had anything to do with it, unless you're simply prejudiced, which, apparently, you are.

Vertical

9. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    We contacted him SEVERAL TIMES about his signature. He responded that he would not change it. That is troll-like behavior, whether he was here for three years or three hours.

--Mr. P

10. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    I think it had everything to do with it. He panicked and hit the red button to wipe out Moscow.

11. Shenanigans

Shenanigans Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 2000
    For the record there is only one thing I'd have done differently in retrospect. I would have copied the files to my own mirror site and left out three of them, one of which had a lot of personal information, and a two-parter that was just plain personal in nature. I should have read all the threads over more carefully, since I didn't "choose or select" anything. The link was to directory on homestead account that contained all files DP had copied.

As for the rest, how could those threads possibly be taken out of context?

12. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Then you're prejudiced simply because of his age, AJA, plain and simple. Apparently, people over a certain age aren't capable of mistakes, eh?

Vertical

13. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    If thinking that a teenager is less experienced in life and therefore less capable of handling responsibility makes me "prejudiced", then count me with the same people who won't let Nathan have his driver's license yet.

14. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Such a simple view, AJA. Anyway, take it up with the staff if you have a problem with it. I'm through dealing with your prejudices.

Vertical

15. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    It's not complicated.

16. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Hmm. After thinking on this for a moment, I must apologize for my tone.

Certainly I can understand your concerns about Nathan's age, as they're concerns that were brought up before. Yes, he made a mistake this time. I'm not ready to say "it was because he was young", however. I think he's still in the learning stage of what his technical capabilities are, and there are bound to be a few mistakes along the way.

I certainly afford you the right to be upset that this happened to a friend of yours, but I'd ask that you simply grant him a little bit of understanding. He's a good moderator, he has a good attitude, and he accepts full responsibility for what happened.

I'm sure he's learned something from this, and I'm confident that he will be up to the task of being this site's administrator.

I do apologize for my rather abrupt and less than cordial tone in my prior posts.

Vertical

17. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    No problem. I wouldn't neccessarily classify Pyrus as a friend of mine, because we primarily used to hang out in different areas of the forums in the old days, but I do know that he's been one of the most active and loyal members this forum has had since almost the day it opened.

As for ND, I don't see the logic in giving a teenager authority over a system of this size, and over other other mods who are older and have been here longer, and I doubt that will change.

18. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    I just hope that young Nathan learns from his mistake. There are steps that are reversible, and there are steps that aren't. Obliterating someone's entire posting history is irreversible, so far as I know. The lesson is, when you're new, under pressure, busy, or even feeling overwhelmed by new responsibilities, it is NOT a time to take steps that are irreversible. It is a time to step back, breathe, relax, ask for help and advice from more experienced moderators, and take small, reversible steps until you have the presence of mind to act reasonably.

:::steps off soapbox:::

Carry on.

EDIT: when I type too fast I can't spell!

19. Lil Wookie

Lil Wookie Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    One of the best admins this board has ever had...In my opinion, the best admin this board ever had...and I know people will back me up on this...was Paradox. I had a tremendous amount of respect for the guy.

Why do I bring up his name? Because the guy was 14 years old, and he did a great job.

Age does not equal ability.

20. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    Stop critizing the poor kid for his age!
    Sure, I understand your concerns, but please. Enough. Nathan is a very capable person, and he seems to have a good idea of what he's doing. And good reference to Paradox, Lil Wookie. What happened yesterday (or whatever day it was) happened. It is irreversable. Was it the right decision? Proabably not. But it has happened, and it is time for us to move on.

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

21. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Why dont you two come back as mods and fix the problems then?

22. Lil Wookie

Jul 8, 1998
    How do you mean, AA?

23. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    If you guys really wanted this "New Golden Age", you'd convince jasman to come back to active duty and make him and DL the board Admins. Unfortunately, it seems the mods who'd vote on it wouldn't even know why I'd suggest it.

EDIT- AA beat me to it.

24. Lil Wookie

Jul 8, 1998
    Whats the matter, AJA, you don't want me back as well? ;)

Both Jasman and I have been told we can return if we want to. I think I speak for Jasman also when I say I just don't know if I have the time right now.

25. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    Sorry man- I seem to remember you left pretty early on, but I'm sure you'd be an asset as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.