main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Sing a Song of Angels- a Vader vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Feb 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Characters: Vader, a young singer, and a voice from the past
    Rated: PG 13 for mild language
    Setting: between Ep. 3 and ANH

Sing a Song of Angels

Sing a Song of Angels

?Sing a song of angels.? The deep voice commanded out of the darkness.

?Angels, my lord?? the singer asked in confusion.

?Yes, angels. Any song about angels!? the deep voice growled at her.

?Yes, my lord,? the young girl answered. He could sense her shock at his request.

Vader watched the singer, recognizing her fear. It clung to those around him like the stench of a garbage pit. But the stink of it reminded him of the power that was his to command.

He had ordered her presence on an impulse. She had been performing at the banquet of some Imperial lackey and he had heard her sing. The girl had touched something deep inside of him, a part of himself he thought long dead. Perhaps it was her youth: she was young and looked quite innocent. She was still in her teens, not much older than?

Ah, well, best leave that memory untouched.

But, like an aching tooth, he found himself testing the memory, prodding it, poking it, making sure it still hurt. Yes, the pain was still there, sharp and hot. He embraced the pain; it was preferable to foolish sentimentality. He allowed himself to remember meeting a girl, not much younger than the one standing so nervously before him.

Vader looked at the girl, seeing in her fair features a ghost from his past. Perhaps it was her long brown curls that spurred his memory, taunting him. Her eyes, perhaps? No, he could see them now. They were not the warm brown eyes that accused him in his dreams. Her eyes were blue, as blue as those of a man he had seen in his mirror? a lifetime ago.

It certainly wasn?t her voice that provoked him or his troublesome memories. If Vader had been capable of laughter, he might have laughed at the memory of another chestnut-haired beauty singing, or trying to anyway. Handy with a blaster, a formidable politician, a passionate lover, that woman had been all of those things, but singing was not one of her many talents.

A sigh from the girl interrupted his thoughts. Thanking the Force for the girl?s timing, he shifted his weight in the chair. ?Do you know any songs about angels?? he asked sharply.

?I think so, my lord,? the girl stammered, her confusion clearly evident to the Sith, who could see through all lies and subterfuge.

Vader felt his thoughts straying once more. He let himself imagine her face, the face of his own angel. He had loved her once, long ago.

?Are you allowed to love?? a familiar voice whispered in his ear, echoing through his helmet.

Vader recoiled from the sound in shock, grateful for the darkness that shielded him from the singer?s view. She still stood nervously in the light, her every little twitch and sigh open to the Dark Lord. Vader felt that voice stalking him in the darkness, lurking, ready to spring at the least sign of weakness.

The girl suddenly stood up straighter, squared her shoulders and cleared her throat. And from her mouth came the voice of an angel, a seraph singing of her divine sisters. He had always enjoyed music; it was one of the few things that slaves can create without the need for credits. Their voices were free and theirs to command, however briefly. It was, perhaps, the only joy that had survived his transformation.

?You?re a funny little boy,? the other voice laughed, and then darted away, too quickly for him to follow.

Vader clenched his fists, trying desperately to keep his attention on the voice of the girl who stood before him, not on the woman who was hiding in his memory. If he had been able to, he would have panted with the effort of holding the scream inside. He longed to shout out her name, her beloved name, just once. Would she answer?

He thought he saw her image dance just outside his line of sight, an impish sprite bent on tormenting him. ?I don?t want to disturb you,? the voice mocked.

Vader watched the girl?s mouth moving, and knew she was still sin

2. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Very powerful and moving piece. I liked the line about Vader being sick of the fear around him, and how you incorporated Padme's quotes. Heartbreaking and believable. Thanks for sharing it!

3. SITH_LORD_MARIANA

SITH_LORD_MARIANA Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2004
    Wonderful Vader vignette!

4. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Very stirring! Very clever of you to weave his memories of Padme into the moment. Good job! :)

5. pensfan100

pensfan100 Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2002
    What a stirring, gut-wrenching vignette! I could feel his emotions and the end was a killer! Absolutely beautifully written piece!

6. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Wonderful! So haunting.

Vader watched the singer, recognizing her fear. Gods, he tired of the fear from those around him.

?No! I?m a person and my name is Anakin.? But he wasn?t Anakin anymore, was he? Inside the ebony armor, the man shuddered at this truth.

I really liked these lines.

7. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    Oh, this was beautiful - title and all. [face_love] I loved this part:

He thought he saw her image dance just outside his line of sight, an impish sprite bent on tormenting him. ?I don?t want to disturb you,? the voice mocked.

I really enjoyed the way you wove in Padmé's past dialogue with Vader's present state of torment. I also liked how you were able to offer a fresh perspective on a subject that sadly tends to be overworked, much like Yoda's "Fear leads to" speech. And I don't think she'll ever stop haunting him, not truly.

Wonderful job. :)

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Thanks! This was one of those things that just had to be written, or isolated phrases would still be running through my head, LOL! You know it's pretty bad when you are writing snippets of information on the back of an old envelope...

9. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    What a beautiful, moving story. I love the ending.

10. 1-Ani-Obi-luvr

1-Ani-Obi-luvr Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2004
    Great Job! Hope to read more! :)

11. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    The title leaped out and grabbed me. And the story did not dissapoint at all. Well done.

12. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    What a beautiful introspective piece! Of course, I love anything that gives us insight into Vader's POV. You're right, it just had to be written! :)

13. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Wonderful vignette! Isn't it amazing how the characters of Vader and Padme can inspire endless creativity? They're like two unrequited souls that you really feel won't find any peace until someday when maybe, just maybe, they are together again, and get to say their peace to each other. Great job on this!

14. DarthYong789

DarthYong789 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2003
    I like it!

15. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Stormtrooper_Shrink Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Yay! It's posted so I can comment!

He felt himself longing for the dark comfort of his master?s presence. Only in the company of his master could the phantoms of his past disappear, exiled by the black majesty of his power.

This was my favourite line. I loved seeing how Palps had such a hold over him (only it's pretty scary in retrospect), and that line expressed it so well.

Gave me shivers down my spine *shake*!

16. Mjsullivan

Mjsullivan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2003
    I dont normally read too much emotional stuff involving Vader, but your story was really good VaderLVR64.

Very well written - i can imagine Vader actually saying all of those things. Poor bloke. I never thought i'd be able to imagine a pining Vader, but you did it well by making the pining none of his free will.

Really good stuff!

17. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    This is really good! I liked how you wove past dialogue into his tormented thoughts of being Vader.

18. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Beautiful :_|

I'm serious. This is a truly wonderful bit of work. :) Hope to see more soon . . . use as many old envelopes as you like! :p

Nem :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.