main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Sio Bibble says 'there hasn't been a full scale war since the formation of the Republic'

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SamFenn, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Sio also thought 'the death toll is catastrophic', which doesn't seem to be the case either. :p

2. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    I got the impression that Bibble's meaning was that there had not been a full scale war ON NABOO since the formation of the republic.

3. Bens_Dad

Bens_Dad Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2010
    Great Schism? Sith Wars? None of these are mentioned in the films so I must presume you're talking EU here (or Eurgh U as I prefer it). EU isn't canon, has no bearing on the films, so the dialogue to which you refer is not wrong at all, I'm afraid.

4. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000

EU is canonical unless it specifically contradicts what is presented in film, or in another canon source, IE another piece of EU (in which case there'll usually be a retcon). It's been this way since The Thrawn Trilogy was advertised-by Lucasfilm-as being "the official continuation of the Star Wars story", and included line-item vetos by George on specific plot points Zahn wanted to use.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    To be fair, there are quite a few other quotes given on the Wookieepedia page that can support other interpretations of "canon".

6. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Sure, but most of those (like the one from the first issue of Insider) are freaking ancient. When you have Chee, Rostoni, and Lucas all saying otherwise, it's pretty apparent what the case is. The portion about the G, T and C canon clearly states that it's all one continuity, and that's been a major selling point of the EU (particularly in contrast to the ST EU, which is unambigously non-canon) since it started.

7. Bens_Dad

Sep 26, 2010
    Mammoth post alert! And you seem to be quoting another Ben's Dad here - I didn't get beyond the first line as it was clearly aimed at someone else and, well, size isn't always everything so I tend not to read such bloated posts :)

8. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    Easy folks. Ben's Dad, you just came back from vacation so play nice.

9. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Canon is determined by the individual.

10. Bens_Dad

Sep 26, 2010
    Only if that invididual is George Lucas.

11. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    No.

You can have your own canon. Who is going to tell you otherwise? Believe in what you want to believe in.

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    There is no such thing as personal canon. What is and is not canon is determined by LFL.

13. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    The only canon we can really believe is from the author's mouth, and in this instance that author is George Lucas.

Your own interpretations of events is called fan fiction and authors do not rely on them for canon.

14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Although it is not official it doesn't mean people can't have their own 'continuity'. If I disregard all the EU excluding a select few sources then that is the continuity I establish.

Yes, its not official, however everyone personalizes mythology. The bickering about canon is pointless - just choose the stories you like. We all know the 'official' canon structure - that doesn't mean it need be the definitive guide to what you like in Star Wars.

15. Bens_Dad

Sep 26, 2010
    I can't possibly do that, I'm afraid. I need to be told; to make my own mind up about something would take far too much effort.

Seriously, though, I take the films as canon. The Clone Wars is canon, too. But that's about it. I like not being burdened by the flights of fancy that the EU takes. That way I'm not in a state of confusion and disarray everyime something happens onscreen that contradicts what I've read in some book by Timothy Zahn et al.

16. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Except that nothing in the EU has been contradicted by what is on-screen. The Clone Wars series has created some timeline issues, but those will be resolved when the series is finished.

17. Bens_Dad

Sep 26, 2010
    I don't follow the EU, I must confess. I bought the Tinothy Zahn books when they came out and loved them to bits. Then somebody lent me a Kevin J Anderson book. End of story.

However, I've seen a lot of EU fans complaining about how the stories have unfolded in the prequels and The Clone Wars and this had led me to believe that EU lore had been contradicted by them. And didn't one Republic Commando writer leave because she didn't approve of what was being done in The Clone Wars?

18. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    If your latest experience with the EU was the Kevin J Anderson stuff, I pity you. He's in the bottom tier of the EU authors; there have been plenty of books written that are far better in quality than what Anderson wrote. I'd say 90% of the EU is better quality than Anderson.

The only problem with the Clone Wars series is the timeline of events. Prior to the existence of the show, the novels taking place during the Clone Wars era had a specific timeline taking place over the course of the three-year war. But then the show comes along and introduces whole new events without regard for the timeline. Not to mention adding Ahsoka into the mix, who wasn't even in any of the previous novels.

But once the series is finished, the timeline will be ironed out and everything will be fine.

There have been no major contradictions between the EU and any of the movies. Any minor contradictions that came up were easily fixed. For example, prior to AOTC, the planning and construction of the Death Star had been pretty well established in the EU. But then AOTC came along and introduced the Geonosians. So they just became one more link in the chain between the planning of the battlestation and the actual construction.

19. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Apart from the fact the EU is seemingly inconsistent with concept of the Chosen One and 'balance of the Force'. But then again I am sure there are theories to retcon that (I have also developed one). But, yes, otherwise the EU is really quite consistent - but then again that's not the reason I only like some of the EU.

Anyway, returning to my previous comment, I guess a more accurate term would be 'continuity' and not 'canon' being determined by the individual.

20. Bens_Dad

Sep 26, 2010
    Well, I'd say your pity would be better aimed at Mr Anderson lol. My seven year old daughter has a better grasp of creative writing than he.

I would like to pick up on the EU with the Vector Prime book, I must admit. That seemed to be the only interesting plot development since the Thrawn trilogy.

21. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    If the EU says the Republic is 25 thousand years old, it is wrong. The films strongly hint that the Republic is about a thousand years old, it's beginning corresponding with the fall of the Sith Lords.

Kenobi's "thousand generations" line about the Jedi in AHH, is still a problem, though.

22. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Didn't we just solve this ;) [face_tired] ?

23. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Way to read the thread, champ. The Republic, as a whole, has existed for about 25000 years. Around 1000 BBY, the Ruusan Reformations totally revamped the Republic (one notable change was disbanding the Jedi army, moving them more to the role of peacekeepers than soldiers, and putting them more under the control of the Senate). That is the Republic that Bibble and Palpatine were referring to in the movies.

24. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Simply put one 'nation' two different incarnations. In other words a change in constitution. EU or otherwise.

25. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    No, the EU is wrong. Nowhere in the films, ever, is there any indication that the Republic is 25 thousand years old. I've never heard of the Russan anything and I've seen these films more than a few times.

Don't get in a hissy. It wouldn't be the first time the films over-wrote the EU, and you don't have to play "well, what if..." in order to make it all fit together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.