main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sir Alec the Emperor?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TheMcguffin, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMcguffin

TheMcguffin Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    I seem to recall as of late a discussion in these parts about the resemblance of Obi-Wan Kenobi and the Emperor in the classic trilogy. While browsing Youtube this evening, I stumbled across a video of Sir Alec's portrayal of Jacob Marley in a rendition of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol," and I began to wonder what kind of performance he could have given as the Emperor in Return of the Jedi based upon the way he delivered his lines as the ghostly Marley. First let me say that I have the deepest respect for what Ian brought to the role in both Return of the Jedi and the prequel installments, but I must say, it would have been terribly interesting from a filmmaking perspective to see two characters of such opposing sides portrayed by the same actor. And I certainly think Sir Alec could have pulled it off nicely. Here is a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y48PQGbdY60

I think actually that the video reminded me more of Ian's slightly over-the-top portrayal of the Emperor in Revenge of the Sith, but I likewise think he could have carried the earlier portrayal with the same gusto.

-TheMcguffin (after all, I'm only here to advance the story)

Edited to add a second video clip taken from the same film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCJ69RycJkA

2. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    I began to wonder what kind of performance he could have given as the Emperor in Return of the Jedi based upon the way he delivered his lines as the ghostly Marley

Im sure it would have been great, but he was already cast as Obi-Wan. No amount or make-up or voice disguising could, in practical terms, overcome it. It would have been odd to the viewers.

The role of the Emporer in the CT was a relatively minor one compared to the PT. Any number of British actors back then in makeup could have played it well.

3. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    Well he played eight characters in "Kind Hearts and Coronets" so he might have managed it.

4. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I'm sure Sir Alec could have pulled off a dual-role of Obi-Wan/Palpatine very nicely in ROTJ, but then Lucas wouldn't have had the luxury of recasting him for the PT. Ian was a pretty decent choice to play the Emperor.

5. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
  6. Chico_Jedi

Chico_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2008
    Haha, great video.

7. KitFisto697

KitFisto697 Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2008
    That would have been a cool aspect, but then the prequels would have needed a new actor for the Emperor.

8. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Playing one the extreme ends of the spectrum would have made the two characters much more hollow and less believeable. However, it would have been very interesting to see that occur.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.