main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Site Cruching

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by dan-yoda, Aug 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan-yoda

dan-yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    I got an email a while ago from Yahoo Geocities saying that my site has been unavailable to visitors 6 times in the past 90 days because your site has exceeded its bandwidth limit. I know how to fix my bandwith by buying higher bandwith, but my site was never that popular anyway at less than 6,000 hits and I wouldn't want to spend any money on it, but I still want to keep it since I need a site for my film. I was thinking instead of buying higher bandwith or moving to HTML or some other thing I could just take away sections of my site so that there's more room for everything (I have already gone through my file folders deleting the junk stuff on my site but that's still not enough). I was thinking I could take away Yodaman Recomends and Trailers and Posters and just put the main poster on the Chapters page to even it out, but I don't know if that'd be best. Could any of you possibly take a look at my site and see if that'd be the best course for the place? Thanks.

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    The downloadable chapters appear to be the biggest bandwidth hog. The one I clicked on was 6.5 megs. Unless you have any other large files on your site, I don't think removing anything else would fix the problem.

3. dan-yoda

Sep 14, 2003
    What should I do then? I don't want to take out the chapters because that's the main feature of the site.

4. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Don't make them downloadable. Post them directly to your site, or get a site somewhere else (expage perhaps?) and then link to it.

5. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    You also could see if compressing the files (zip, etc.) lowers the filesize.

6. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    That may work. And, perhaps hosting the trailers and posters somewhere else would as well?

7. dan-yoda

Sep 14, 2003
    Would you send it work? I have no clue how to work that place, so if you say yes please tell me how to work it.

8. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    YouSendIt! is very easy to use.

1. Type in the email address to send it to (make it YOUR email address, as it will send you the link.

2. Upload the file (must be 1gb or less)
    ~OPTIONAL: Enter in your email address~
    ~OPTIONAL: Type a message for the recepient~

3. Send It!

And, just like that you are done!

9. dan-yoda

Sep 14, 2003
    Crap, even if I wanted to edit my site I can't because page builder hasn't been working for me at all for the past few days.

Any suggestions?

10. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Email Geocities and ask them if they can fix it. Worst case scenario, you could always build a temporary site [face_worried]

11. dan-yoda

Sep 14, 2003
    You have their email? I can't find it on the site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.