main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sith Abilities

Discussion in 'Literature' started by razzy1319, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    "While Dooku helped hone her talents, he taught her none of the knowledge unique to the Sith."
    -- Star Wars Databank

Force Lighting isn't unique since most of the dark jedi uses it, even some jedi do... So, what are known Unique Sith Force powers? Those that ONLY sith are known to use?

2. Traest_Krefey

Traest_Krefey Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2004
    Well, force doesn't work the way we see on the video games. You can use force for practically everthing. The force-powers are common applications of the force. Being a Jedi or a Sith doesn't give you any new uses of the force. Jedi and Sith are just names. The Sith go for destructive uses of the force since they find them more useful. A Jedi can learn everything a Sith does. (Provided that he/she has the potential)

3. Shadeleader

Shadeleader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 25, 2003
    Well, I'd tell you, but...

Well, 1) That would identify me as a Sith, wouldn't it?
    2) If I ran around telling everyone, they wouldn't be secret techniques, no?

Honestly, I really have no idea. Sorry.

4. Fingolfin_Noldor

Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2004
    Actually, what the Jedi can do, the Sith could. Only thing is that the Jedi rarely use the raw power of the force as in the form of Force Lightning, Force Storm.

However, Palpatine did demonstrate a means to create hyperspace wormholes.

If you want to talk about indirect force abilities, then you would have to study the Sith's Alchemical powers. Their force alchemy is incredible, and they have the ability to create creatures of the dark side or even imbue individuals with little or no force ability.

5. Darth_Seer

Darth_Seer Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2004
    The ancient Sith had all sorts of interesting abilities. They were more like magicians than the modern Sith, and they used things like spells, focusing crystals, and the like. The old Sith like Marka Ragnos were able to extend their lives through their Sith ways and would often live hundreds of years. Many of them were masters of alchemy and would create horrible beasts; others could summon hideous illusions that could turn the tide of battle. Exar Kun casts a Sith spell that paralyzes an entire room full of people. Naga Sadow destroys a star with Sith technology and the power of the force. Truly, these Sith were mysterious and wicked dark side practitioners who possesed many abilities that were forgotten over time.

6. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Ancient Sith, beyond even five thousand years before Yavin, could create life from the elements. They were like gods.

Sith alchemy is something a dark jedi would have no knowledge of.

Hyperspace wormholes, destroying suns by focusing the Force through some device...all of these are Sith powers.

Transfer life,. and absorbing the life energies of others to sustain yourself are two Sith unique powers still used by modern Sith.

7. Fingolfin_Noldor

Aug 10, 2004
    However, the only place now to obtain information on Sith Alchemy is on Korriban, which is a very dangerous place for both Dark and Light Jedi. The Dark Lords of the Sith might just kill anyone out of spite, or any other lost Sith planets which are hard to find.

8. Darth_Seer

Aug 27, 2004
    Searching Korriban for Sith knowledge became something of a ritual for many Sith. Palpatine was one such Dark Lord who travelled there in search of the ancient Sith ways. Surely he learned a good deal, but I don't think he possessed the ancient spells and erudition of the ancient Sith. They were truly a bizarre and fascinating group. Up until Naga Sadow, the dark lord would be thrown into a box with deadly scorpions. If he survived he had completed the final rite of passage and was granted the title Dark Lord of the Sith. He carried the deadly bites on his forehead as a lasting symbol of his strength. Now thats something Palpatine never had to deal with! Vader wasn't kidding when he said "the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force." Naga Sadow destroyed stars with his Sith focusing crystals, and the tide of entire wars was turned with Sith illusions and magic. The ancient Sith Empire was amazingly powerful and more wealthy than the Old Republic. Truly formidable force users they were.

9. Fingolfin_Noldor

Aug 10, 2004
    Palpatine however, managed to create force storms and control them, which is something no dark lord has ever done. He did create some rancors embued with the dark side of the force but that's about how much alchemy he did I guess. Many of the monstrous alchemical machines were forever lost and Sith Holocrons are rare. Ironically, Palpatine obtained much from a Jedi Holocron.

He is the most advanced Sith lord of the modern era, worthy of the title of Dark Lord. He could master all that Naga Sadow knew, if he could find the ancient manuals.

10. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    *sigh*

And that is exacly why i have issues with the EU.

Part of the charm of the Jedi/Sith was that they were actually 'mortal' with powers no none-force user could understand, at least to me.

The EU, exept the Clone Wars stuff, take the Jedi/Sith and turn them into Superman clones.

Lucas tries to portray a Powerful warrior capable of taking out multiple oponents, yet is still mortal, that the Darkside is a trap that if one falls into its coruption one can never be free from it, in its evil it enhances all the Jedi skills with anger and rage.

The EU portrays Super-Powerful warriors who are capable of defeating as many enemies as come their way until the plot desides its time they should die, and then they are likely to take dozens/hundreds of enemies with them, and every so ften Jedi will die in ways that are so wimpy that a normal human would be able to avoid it, all in the name of 'proving' they arent overpowering their EU-Jedi.

At first the Darkside was, instead of simply enpowering Force users beyond what they could do before, capable of destroying planets, killing hundreds, ect, and NOW aparantly the Darkside doesnt exist :rolleyes:

Gah, this isnt Star Wars, its the bloody Matrix.

*calms down*

Well, at least the newer Post-TPM-Pre-ANH EU is more SW like in feel and mood, its staying more or less true to the films, maybe the odd exeption iv missed.

11. Darth_Seer

Aug 27, 2004
    "Palpatine however, managed to create force storms and control them, which is something no dark lord has ever done."

I agree. In fact, I think Palpatine was more powerful than the old Sith. Its not that his knowledge was inferior, but simply different. He didn't know many of the old Sith tricks, but he possessed other powerful dark powers like force storms that the ancient Sith wouldn't have known either.

"Gah, this isnt Star Wars, its the bloody Matrix."

Hey, its cool! Try to enjoy it. Embrace the dark side.
    Besides, didn't Vader say "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force"? Thats a pretty profound quote, and the great thing is that he wasn't exaggerating...

12. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Part of the charm of the Jedi/Sith was that they were actually 'mortal' with powers no none-force user could understand, at least to me.

What about Luke going uber on the mercs in RotJ, QGJ and Obi completely pwning droids that were supposed to be scary, and Anakin taking care of those elite Geonosian warriors without breaking a sweat? There's plenty of uberness in the films, if you ask me.

The EU, exept the Clone Wars stuff, take the Jedi/Sith and turn them into Superman clones.

Well, out of the 2 CW novels I've read, they feature Mace "My headbutt is stronger than titanium" Windu, aka Mr. 20 arms; the second features Barris "super-duper healer" Offee, aka Ms. I can fight a Teras Kasi master without actually knowing what I'm doing. On the flip side, there's the utterly weak and easy to kill Thrynni Vae, Ulaha Kore, Rosh Penin, Dorsk 82, and Tekli in the NJO. It cuts both ways.

Lucas tries to portray a Powerful warrior capable of taking out multiple oponents, yet is still mortal, that the Darkside is a trap that if one falls into its coruption one can never be free from it, in its evil it enhances all the Jedi skills with anger and rage.

As you say about the EU, the only Jedi that die in the movies to non-Jedi are the ones we don't care about, possibly to make the point that maybe droids can take a Jedi down. Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Luke, and Yoda are the 5 major jedi in the saga; 3 die by the blade, and one dies of old age. Maul and Sidious are killed by a major Jedi, and I can't say anything about Dooku or Mace to avoid spoilers. All the major Force-users are killed by Jedi, just like the EU ('cept for the Vong, that's different.)

The EU portrays Super-Powerful warriors who are capable of defeating as many enemies as come their way until the plot desides its time they should die, and then they are likely to take dozens/hundreds of enemies with them, and every so ften Jedi will die in ways that are so wimpy that a normal human would be able to avoid it, all in the name of 'proving' they arent overpowering their EU-Jedi.

Already addressed.

At first the Darkside was, instead of simply enpowering Force users beyond what they could do before, capable of destroying planets, killing hundreds, ect, and NOW aparantly the Darkside doesnt exist

1. It's my firm belief that being suckered into believing this hogwash about no darkside is not only stupid, but deserving of a cyber-smack. Not to say that all believers are idiots, just that one belief seems pretty dumb to me.

2. Vader's across the starship from Ozzel when he uses TK. On an SSD, that could be a few km. It's pretty logical to assume (I think) that an extremely skilled and well trained Sith could perform stronger TK (messing with a star) from much farther (hundreds of km.

3. Killing hundreds has been done in the movie (Geonosian arena), so it's possible.

As a postscript, I think some of your points are valid, I just wanted to point out that the Jedi have always been a mix of uber and weak.

13. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Hyperspace wormholes is actually one of two types of Force Storms. One type being destructive the other, the hyperspace wormhole, being used to move people and objects through hyperspace.

Some Sith powers are Aura of Uneasiness, Electronic Manipulation, Force Wind, Drain Life Energy, and Memory Wipe. Though I'd question Force Wind as Streen uses it. However, the fact that the first time he appears to use it is after Kun's spirit took temporary control of him begging the question of whether or not he planted the knowledge in Streen's mind. I might also add Transfer Life to the list.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    If you want to see superJedi, check out Clone Wars #13. The EU isn't that bad with the Force... ;)

15. Darth_Seer

Aug 27, 2004
    I bet Exar Kun could have used the Force Storm ability when the Jedi ships came after him on Yavin IV!

16. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    The funny thing is that we see Sith doing all this incredible stuff, while the only thing we've seen Jedi do that really matches that is Mace Windu's Vaapad and Luke's "I pwnz0red j00."

What about the ancient Jedi? The Dark Empire appendix said a bunch of stuff about altering matter on a molecular level that Jedi like Yoda used to be able to do. They can still do it to some extent, such as with healing abilities, but what about other usages?

17. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003
    What about Luke going uber on the mercs in RotJ, QGJ and Obi completely pwning droids that were supposed to be scary, and Anakin taking care of those elite Geonosian warriors without breaking a sweat? There's plenty of uberness in the films, if you ask me.

All of which are Creme-da-la-creme of the Jedi...

Luke: the Son of the Chosen One, verses over a dozen guards and faces them in arounds fives and six, in great confusion, yes, impressive, but if he'd had his real hand he would be dead ;)

Qui-Gon: One of the best Duelists in the Jedi order, and with years worth of experiance, not to mention he had back up in the form of...

Obi-Wan: The Jedi 'Prodegy', he is basicly a Jedi Knight who hasnt been officially granted the title yet, he aspires to become one of the Orders greatest.

Anakin: He is the Chosen One and is miles ahead of his felllow Padawan's, hell, better than most Knights, including his own Master, and its not like they all attacked at once :p were he gets captured one of the Ulic-Nomi-Era/NJO Jedi would just have used the Force to Push/Disable Jango and the Droids, at least thats what my experiances in the 'Ulic-Nomi-Era'/NJO would have done.

Well, out of the 2 CW novels I've read, they feature Mace "My headbutt is stronger than titanium" Windu, aka Mr. 20 arms; the second features Barris "super-duper healer" Offee, aka Ms. I can fight a Teras Kasi master without actually knowing what I'm doing. On the flip side, there's the utterly weak and easy to kill Thrynni Vae, Ulaha Kore, Rosh Penin, Dorsk 82, and Tekli in the NJO. It cuts both ways.

Mace: lol, he still lost the fight though, against someone who was fairly easily killed in the end, his race/speices just happen to have extremly thick skulls ;)

Barriss: yea, she is a great healer, big deal, compared to half of the EU stunts iv read her skills are nothing ;)

All those you just mentioned are 'very' minor characters IIRC, they are Blaster fodder :).

As you say about the EU, the only Jedi that die in the movies to non-Jedi are the ones we don't care about, possibly to make the point that maybe droids can take a Jedi down. Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Luke, and Yoda are the 5 major jedi in the saga; 3 die by the blade, and one dies of old age. Maul and Sidious are killed by a major Jedi, and I can't say anything about Dooku or Mace to avoid spoilers. All the major Force-users are killed by Jedi, just like the EU ('cept for the Vong, that's different.)

Uhhh of the over two hundred jedi that went to Geonosis less than fifty IIRC made it out O_O and thats against Droids, the only NJO casualties that even aproach that are to the Vong, dont get me started on them :p

Read 'Last stand on Jabbim' if you want (heart renching) proof that Prequal EU Jedi arnt as 'uberfied' as the NJO ones.

Yes, and i have no problem with Major Jedi being killed only by other Major Force-Users, but thats not my beef with the EU, its how Uber-fied these NJO 'Major' Jedi are compared to their Film counterparts.

1. It's my firm belief that being suckered into believing this hogwash about no darkside is not only stupid, but deserving of a cyber-smack. Not to say that all believers are idiots, just that one belief seems pretty dumb to me.

Agreed :)

2. Vader's across the starship from Ozzel when he uses TK. On an SSD, that could be a few km. It's pretty logical to assume (I think) that an extremely skilled and well trained Sith could perform stronger TK (messing with a star) from much farther (hundreds of km.

Vader is the strongest Force User in SW(exept the NJO-EU :p), expept mabye Paply but thats just from Palpies pure amount of experiance.

Choking someone a few miles away when you are the Chosen One is completly diffrent than being hundreds of km away and doing something that would make Darth Vaders and Yoda's jaw drop.

Thats taking Yoda and Luke's 'thats impossible' 'and that is why you fail' and Vaders 'Insignificant next to the power of the Force' just waaaaay too far and waaay too litraly

18. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    Err what's this about Rosh Penin dying in the NJO?

19. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003
    Eh? you misunderstand, we are ust saying he's a wimp :)

20. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    He's no wimp, he could use the force before Jaden, and was ahead of him at the beginning of the game.

21. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Not if you throw your lightsaber at him because he's in the way like I did...

Then he's dead. :p 8-}

Anyway, Rosh is a punk, but I don't think he's dead...

yet. [face_devil]

22. Thyrsan4Blood

Thyrsan4Blood Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    Yes, and i have no problem with Major Jedi being killed only by other Major Force-Users, but thats not my beef with the EU, its how Uber-fied these NJO 'Major' Jedi are compared to their Film counterparts.

I can somewhat agree with you that there were certain points in the NJO that I felt the authors either overestimated the characters' abilities or underestimated just how difficult it is to learn/execute a Force ability.

But at the same time, you have to realize that the pre-prequel times, the PT/OT times, and the post-OT times (or NJO) are completely different eras.

Jedi learn, act, think, and function on different levels.

After all, it was the rigidity and ignorance of the entire Jedi Order during the PT that led to its destruction. It would not be a major inference if you assumed that a Jedi during this era would not acquire a skill unless specifically taught to him by his master or some sort of instructor.

While in the NJO, it's an era of self teaching. Students aren't whisked away to the academy until several years into their lives (for the most part). Also there is no former master-padawan system, so arguably those years (age 13-20) when a PT Jed would be a padawan, a NJO Jedi is learning things on his/her own.

A NJO Jedi would probably think of something he would want to do, and then practice to try and do it. A PT Jedi probably would have to think twice and figure out if it was right and in line with the Jedi Order.

Also the PT Jedi are peacekeepers. The NJO Jedi are pretty much freelance warriors, as are the ancient Jedi. That just puts another system of control onto the PT Jedi, which keep them from reaching their full potential.

It's a different mindset basically. In the PT, it looks like the Jedi only summon the Force when the situation calls, but prefer to do things without its aid. The same is probably unlikely for the NJO and pre-PT Jedi since they are less integrated into a society/civilization/government like the Old Republic.

And you should think about this...

Anakin never became "uber" because he was "struck down" in the prime of his life (imagine how powerful he would have been at around age 30?), and the more his body meshed with machine, the less powerful he became. But I'm sure if Vader ever pushed himself, he could accomplish many "uber" things.

Luke is not "uber" because he's only a novice in the films. Only in ROTJ could you consider him a real Jedi.

And by NJO, I assume you're referring specifically to Jacen's battle with Onimi, Ganner's Last Stand, and Anakin's Last Charge of these instances of "uber-ness."

All these instances were when people's backs were in the corner. And even in the films, we've seen glimpses of this, with Obi-Wan's battle against Darth Maul in TPM, Luke's surge in ROTJ, and to a degree Anakin & Obi's feats in the Battle Arena. All either showed increased ability via the Force, or just incredible feats done with seeming ease. I'm sure if any of them were pitted against 30 enemies in a final stand, Lucas would have had them accomplishing the similar results as their NJO counterparts.

23. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    As Knight said, Transfer Life is only a dark side power; Callista did it, as did Palps, but the former could only touch the dark side after.

Tenenniel also had Force wind like Streen, and no matter what official guides say, there is absolutely nothing specifically dark side about blowing wind.

One of the spastic aspects of Dark Empire 2 is the writers having Skywalker saying throat choking is a Sith technique. What's the big deal about it?

And why should mindwiping be dark side exclusive too? KOTOR made good use of it, but it doesn't sound bad.

24. Darth_Seer

Aug 27, 2004
    "And why should mindwiping be dark side exclusive too? KOTOR made good use of it, but it doesn't sound bad."

Yoda was ready to erase the historian Arhul Hextrophon's memory when he was discovered on Dagobah. Hence, I would assert that mindwiping is not a dark side power. Come on, if its alright with Yoda its fine by me...

25. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    Yea and Tholme was gonna wipe a part of Khaleen's memory if she didn't agree to spy on Quinlan for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.