Sith depending on Jedi for "basic training" of apprentices

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BuriedAlien, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. BuriedAlien Jedi Knight

star 2
    Beginning with at least Darth Sidious in the PT, the Sith seem to habitually allow the Jedi to provide basic training in the Force to their Sith Apprentices. Darth Maul was an exception: he was trained directly by Sidious as a Sith from the beginning, but Dooku, Vader, and quite nearly Luke received their basic training as Light Side Jedi before being tempted to the Dark Side.

Is this a common Sith practice, and isn't there an inherent danger of these Jedi-trained Sith returning to the Light Side (as occurred with Vader) or being resistant to turning (as occurred with Luke)? A Sith, if trained by Jedi at the outset, will probably retain at least some of the Light Side within him...enough to lead to disaster for the Sith.

2. Tion_Meddon Jedi Master

star 4

No, Ithink Dooku, Vader, and Luke are the exceptions. GL said it was better for a Sith to be trained from birth on the AOTC DVD.

3. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    I agree with Tion.
    Before The Phantom Menace, the two groups did not come into contact with eachother.

-Seldon
  4. Plurimus Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think it is extremely plausible that the Sith depend on the Jedi for some or much of their training. Technique and understanding doesn't just spring out of nowhere. And especially in a universe which has existed for thousands of generations, there has to be some public knowledge of the esoteric traditions of an institution as powerful as the Jedi Order.

Similarly, the training regime can not realistically be all self-contained. For example, what happens with a student who turns out to be the proverbial bad apple. You can kick him/her out, then he uses what skills he's learned to break the law. You can keep him in as a way to reign in his "negative" impact on society. Keep him cloistered, so to speak. The bottom line is that something has to be done with a bad apple, you can't simply execute him as a matter of internal policy and get away with it for tens of thousands of years. (Or can you?)

Since this is a non-spoiler forum, I won't go into Darth Maul's training except to say that there is Jedi influence on Sith lightsaber fighting techniques because Jedi techniqes are more "observable" than are Sith techniques. The Sith don't live in a shell. If one has the opportunity to watch Jedi doing lightsaber combat, they can learn from it and figure out ways to "foil" the Jedi as would a football team coach when he gets a copy of last week's game. He figures out where his strengths are and where his opponent's weaknesses are so that in the next encounter he will be the winner.

There's a threshold in sword fighting technique where a swordsman simply has to be "exposed" to a new fighting style such that he can incorporate it into his own repetoire. I.e., once you have mastered the basic concepts of sword fighting, you can learn new applications very quickly.
  5. StarWarsIsMyLife Jedi Knight

star 2
    "Before The Phantom Menace, the two groups did not come into contact with eachother."

Wrong. In TPM, I think it was Ki-Adi-Mundi who stated that the Sith were extinct for over a millennia. Windu follows him by saying "I doubt the Sith would've returned without us knowing."

Which means the Sith and Jedi have a long history together...
  6. Tion_Meddon Jedi Master

star 4

He's means in the 1000 year period.

7. StarWarsIsMyLife Jedi Knight

star 2
    Is that what you meant, Seldon? In the millenia of assumed extinction, as I like to call it?
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.