main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sith holocron

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by nickmiester97, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmiester97

nickmiester97 Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2010
    Hello! i want to make one of those sith holocron pyramids. but i dont know what meterials and steps and whatnot ill have to do. if anyone knows how to make a holocron, plz reply to the post plz, ty :)

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Well, how much time & work are you willing to put in? How much $ are you prepared to spend? What tools do you have?

I'd suggest starting with some really, really good drawings.
    Outer material should probablly be plexiglass to take abuse. Cut the outer shaped pieces to fit. Use jeweler's glue, not supergule. Super glue will fog your clear pieces.
    You will probablly want a dremmel for fine sculpting. Depending on the details & scale, other shapes can be cut with jig-saw & sanded, or done entirely with dremmel. Cut or scrape your detail patterns on it. If you're going to put a light system inside, design that. Put a hole in the bottom to house it and so you can take out the battery for replacement.

Repeat the process for internal layers as needed.

Anyone with better advice, please pipe in.

Good luck.

3. nickmiester97

Oct 18, 2010
    thanks! were exactly can i get dremmel and plexiglass and jewlers glue at? and for how much?

4. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Dremmel tool is fairly easy. Most hobby shops and a lot of hardware stores carry them.
    How much depends on what model you buy and which attachments. minimum is about $40, but you can easily spend $120 or more on spiffy gadgets, attachments, and specialty funcion parts. I go through lots of sanding and cutting disks.
    Jeweler's glue... about $1 per bottle. Probablly any hobby/crafts store.
    Or hunt online.

I see lots of different types and designs, so my guess it anything that looks good will be "acceptable". You might want to get a copy of the aurubesh/starwars font so you can engrave the characters into it.

And you will need paints.
    If you want an old/ancient looks, I find dry-brushing the main color over a black/dark brown/grey coat works well. If you want new & shiney, make as few flaws as possible and hope your paint is super smooth. Maybe airbrushing.

Whatever you do, plan out as much as possible ahead of time before you do anything irrepairable to your materials.

5. nickmiester97

Oct 18, 2010
    thanks! well, ill have to look into finding all this, but is there any step by step instructions you can supply/find? if not, im pretty sure i can improvise.

6. nickmiester97

Oct 18, 2010
    ok, i have a dremel. but i will need plexiglass and plastic?

7. nickmiester97

Oct 18, 2010
    so i will need Plixiglass for the clear parts, metal sheets for the shell on the outside edges, jewler's glue for puting it together, and a dremel for the cutting?

8. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Metal can (sometimes) be faked with Plumber's Tape (shiney, reflective silver tape--available most hardware stores).
    I don't know of any plans, but I believe holocrons are supposed to be like lightsabers: each unique to the builder. So you should be able to make whatever you want.
    What materials you will definately need? Well, that's up to you.
    Plexiglass is sturdy, clear, and should be able to handle what you need. Some 1/8" thick styrene plastic may be handy for internal detail. You might want transparent as well as solid for painting. Plexi also comes in colors you can work into your design.

I strongly suggest you mark out ahead of time the cuts you are going to make, and work out all of the geometry/angles. Mark your material before cutting with wet-erase marker.
    Get extra material for when (not if, WHEN) something goes wrong.
    Are you putting a light inside? LED? Glow-wire, lightbulb? Powersource? Access for replacing battery? Work that all out in advance.

9. nickmiester97

Oct 18, 2010
    well, i will probally want to put a light init, but i want it to be sleek and simple. so ill get some of this stuff, make the first crack at it, (Im pretty sure it will fail the first time) and then correct my mistakes, but really i just want it to be a decortion to set around the house, and then i might use it for cosplay.

10. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Glow wire can give you some neat effects--you might want to check it out.

Colored 25watt bulbs are pretty cheap.

Radio Shack has (or had) packs of random LEDs for a few $.

If you're really up for pain, suffering, and eventually neat results, look into easy-cast epoxy and silicon mold materials to make custom parts.

I saw some neat results just googling "sith holocron"

11. nickmiester97

Oct 18, 2010
    would the epoxy be good for the frame? and would it still be ok to use the dremel for all the cuttibng and carving? if so, then ill need to get some of the supplies, but im pretty sure im set.

12. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Test the epoxy before committing. If it doesn't fog up your clear material, then it should be fine.

13. jediknight88

jediknight88 Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I would use something along the lines of Sintra for the base. It's easy to work with.

14. nickmiester97

Oct 18, 2010
    @jedi are you thinking of the round-based kind? that might be easier to deal with. and jsut so you guys know, once im done, ill send you pics of it.

15. nickmiester97

Oct 18, 2010
    wound it be easier to make one like this? http://www.swagonline.net/files/images/Drakhen__s_Holocron_by_MagyarEagle.preview.jpg

16. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    In a word: no.

Not unless you have a found object base so that you don't have to build it yourself.

17. nickmiester97

Oct 18, 2010
    so building a round base myself would be harder? then ill just stick with the pyramid. maybe like link #1 and in thoughts of scale, im confused. ive seen pics of palm sized ones, in KOTOR II in the room were you fight atris, there are head sized holocrons, and in the korriban academy, there is a torso sized one. so im not sure how big they are, i was thinking maybe this size (see link # 2)

link #1 http://media.photobucket.com/image/holocron%20prop/TheAmmageddon/BILD1173.jpg
    Link #2 http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/d/dd/CuriousJedi.JPG

18. nickmiester97

Oct 18, 2010
    sorry i had to have that layed out wierd, my link kept not working. :p

19. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    The answer is "yes". They come in all sizes. Some sith are wiser and have more to say. Some have access to better, more compact technology. So they are whatever size is needed/available. Some may even be booby-trapped to prevent "unworthy" students from stealing/wasting the holocron's time, or from Jedi Masters attempting to destroy them.

It is always easier to used something someone else has built--and usually cheaper. The original lightsabers were made from camera battery tubes (Flash Guns). The Jedi communicator in TPM was made from the base of a woman's shaver. And time is a factor!

20. nickmiester97

Oct 18, 2010
    Thats funny! well, i know it'll have the feet like in this 1 (also so i can get to the power supply underneath quicker) http://media.photobucket.com/image/holocron%20prop/TheAmmageddon/BILD1173.jpg
    and will have the design and inscription like this http://media.photobucket.com/image/holocron/darthblade1/Holocron.jpg. and will have the inscription and design on the top like this http://media.photobucket.com/image/holocron/darthblade1/Holocron.jpg i did scetch out some design on paper i will try to scan and upload them for reference so you guys know what im thinkling.

21. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    second image didn't seem to work for me, but I think you're on to a good start. Take work-in-progress photos too. Show us how it came to be at different stages. :)

22. nickmiester97

Oct 18, 2010
    would i use this language? http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071202200434/starwars/images/c/cc/Aurebesh-GMSR.png and should i put my star wars sith name on there? (darth makess)

23. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    That's the font!
    Name is a good idea. Always sign your art!

24. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    If you want to be even more "Sithy", don't use Aurabesh, use this font:
    Sith Prophecy

25. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Most of that font looks like a modified form of bastardized japanese hiragana and katakana.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.