main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sith Lighting ?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by fishdog, Nov 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishdog

fishdog Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2002
    So far we have only seen the sith do this. Maybe?

When Yoda fights Dooku he absorbs the sith lightning, except in one instance. That instance is where my question comes from.

Im not sure if Yoda reflects Dooku's lightning back at him or use his own?

Can anyone clarify this? Do all Jedi have the potential to do this? Or is it only the dark side.. IF its only the darkside how come we never see Vader use it? He has to be superior to Dooku.

In ESB Luke asks Yoda if the Dark Side is stronger. Yoda says no but its quicker.

Is that then why we see the Sith use it, because they have used the dark side to advance there knowledge of the force quicker.

It almost looked like Yoda used his own lightning but i could be wrown. If he did It would make sense. He has to be the most advanced Jedi that follow the path of light.

sorry if i rambled

2. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

[image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/4019.jpg]
    [image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/yoda.jpg]
    [image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/mastery.jpg]
    [image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/lightning8.jpg]

It seems to me that he caught it and reflected it back....

3. TinyObawan

TinyObawan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2002
    Hmmmm... I think yoda reflects the lightning, cuz i've always thought of the lightning thing as a Sith thing, not a Jedi thing. I was wodering (kinda off your sub) what do you think of this Dooku Tyranus thing? Is he the same person but how? My friend was mostly wondering that. I have my own ideas but I'd chase myself in circals trying to organize them all... I'm always confused and proud of it. *cough cough*

:)

4. fishdog

fishdog Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2002
    Then how come Vader does or can not use the lightning?

5. dArTh_wenley

Dec 10, 2001

Vader uses lightening in the EU...
    if you accept that sort of thing... ;)

Who knows, perhaps it wasn't his cup of tea - prefered the whole "force choke" thing.

6. fishdog

fishdog Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2002
    Never really read the EU.. What is the first book following RoTJ?

7. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    [image=http://www.starwarskids.com/enter_the_saga/ref_gallery/technology/img/emperor_lightning.jpg] [image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/4019.jpg]

Palpy used his two hands. I don't think Yoda would be ablev to absorb Palpy's lightning.

8. Lahne_Pryok

Lahne_Pryok Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2002
    Force lightning is a Dark Side power. It is an attack, not a defense. "Jedi use the Force for defense, never for attack." In that scene Yoda is simply deflecting the Force lightning. He does not use the Dark Side to create his own.

As a side note:
    I think Yoda could deflect Paply's Force lightning attacks. Yes, he is that powerful.

9. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    I read somewhere on the official SW site that the lightning we see is actually "pure force energy." Therefore, I think that Jedi could use it, however, like stated above, the Jedi use their powers for defense only, "never for attack." Hence they would have no need to use that energy. It almost seems like a perversion to use the Force that gives sentients their life to take away other's lives. Do you follow me here?

I think Yoda simply reflected it back at Dooku. As far as Vader goes, I think that if he used it, he would short circuit! ;)
    Hence, no lightning from DV...

Answers to above questions: 1) Dooku IS Tyrannus, watch the end of EP. II, Palpatine welcomes Dooku with the salutation , "Greetings Lord Tyrannus...".
    2) First book after ROTJ? Truce at Bakura. Havn't finished it yet, but it's pretty good.
    3)No more questions? Ok, I'll get back to my job now...

PEACE!

PS-Yoda could deflect the Emperor if he wanted to...the dark side is never stronger.

10. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    As far as Vader goes, I think that if he used it, he would short circuit!
    Hence, no lightning from DV...

I am sorry but I couldn't stop laffing at this comment. It is probably very true.

I think Yoda could absorb the Emporers lightning as well. as for it being a darkside thing I don't think it is and I would love to see a jedi use in fight scene in the next film.

11. Lord_Makro

Lord_Makro Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 13, 2002
    The Force Lightning is definitely a Dark Side power, and Yoda is reflecting
    Dooku's lightning back at him. But, it's not just a simple power, only EXTREMLY
    powerfull Siths have this ability. Until the release of AOTC, the Emperor/Darth
    Sidious was the only person that appeared to have this ability (in RoTJ). This
    leads us to the conclusion that Dooku is much more powerfull that Darth Maul
    or Vader, who apparently can't use this dark power.

12. starwarssisterleia

starwarssisterleia Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2002
    I think Jaina used force lightning in one of the EU books. Interesting......

*~Katie~*

13. lumberjedi

lumberjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2002
    Vader probably can't use the lightning because as obi-wan said, he's more machine than man.

About Tyrannus/Dooku, at the end of AOTC I'm pretty sure I heard Sidious call Dooku Tyrannus.

All you need is love!

14. Lord_Makro

Nov 13, 2002
    Of course he calls him "Darth Tyranus" !
    There is no doubt that Dooku is Darth Tyranus...

15. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I don't think the number of hands the lightning comes from affects its intensity at all. Remember that the bodily movements of the Force user are only there for dramatic effect. The Force works the same no matter what.

16. dArTh_wenley

Dec 10, 2001

But the Sith who was most powerful would therefore have stronger lightning....

Look at the difference between Dooku's and Palpatine's lightsaber. Palpatine's looks stronger in its intencity...

17. QuiGonTim

QuiGonTim Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    In the SW visual dictionary for episode 2
    there is a note on "legendary sith lightning"
    it says "Dooku reveals the full measure of his dark nature when he casts legendary sith lightning. Virtualy impossible to deflect, sith lightning causes excrutiating pain and weakens life. The jedi have no exact equivelent to such an evil use of the force."
    This dose not sound like a diciplin good jedi would be anxious to learn or teach.
    As for vader, he's already on life support, should he realy be messing with something that "weakens life", if he has other options.

18. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    If it's practically impossible to deflect, Obi Wan and Yoda are badder than I thought!

19. starwarssisterleia

starwarssisterleia Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2002
    Obi~Wan deflected it?

20. dArTh_wenley

Dec 10, 2001

Yes, with his lightsaber... ;)

[image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/absorb.jpg]

21. Protius

Protius Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2002
    The Jedi Do have a force power, and its called Marichino, if I remember correctly. It slows the heartbeat and breathing rate of an adversary rendering them useless in battle.

It can cause death however, and is considered a "borderline" force power, and is rarely used.

In many ways it is similar to Vader's force choke, and perhaps, Vaders choke is derived from Marichino.

Just my two cents anyway.

22. Count-Daedalus

Count-Daedalus Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2002
    Palpatines lightning is MUCH stronger than Dookus. Want evidence?

In EP 2 we see Dooku unleash his lightning on Anakin. While it hurt very much and disabled him for a while you can see that the lightning "on the surface".

Then, in EP 6, when Luke refuses the Dark Side, Palpatine surely is seething with anger. He wants Luke to suffer. At that point Palpatines lightning is on "low" intensity. But then, as Vader picks him up, you see Vaders bones illumine as the lightning is burning him. Palpatine has no idea really what happens and he lets out the lightning at full charge. When Palpatine is frying Luke and when Dooku is frying Anakin, the lightning really only is "on the surface". But when Vader grabs him, you can see his bones. Clearly the lightning is stronger.

However, it could be EVEN stronger. I don't think lightning is a good term to describe it by, I think it rather energy. Since we have no thunder, I think it should be referred to as energy instead. We have seen the "lightning" twice. In EP 2 and 6. When Anakin is fried, the lightning is directed on him. When luke is fried, the lightning is too directed on him (although some blasts escape lukes body and is attracted to all the metal nearby). But when Vader grabs Palpatine the lightning goes everywhere. Only a fraction is landing on Vader. It isn't focused. Yet extremely powerful. If focused and fully unleashed, few things would withstand it.

Oh, and Yoda would not be able to deflect a continuous blast of the lightning. Yes the light side does pervail in the end, but that is the chosen one who takes care of that. Even though Yoda is undoubtfully powerful, he would not be able to hold off Palpatine.

23. Lord_Makro

Nov 13, 2002
    Anyway, seeing Dooku unleashing this power in AoTC was the biggest
    surprise for me in this film... I never expected to see anyone else than
    the Emperor do this. As I said before, Dooku is really VERY powerfull !

24. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    While it hurt very much and disabled him for a while you can see that the lightning "on the surface".

Watch the AotC trailer that showed that scene frame-by-frame and you'll see that Anakin's skeleton is illuminated by it. You can see his rib cage. Anakin is just a magnet for super-strong Force lightning, apparently. :D

25. Count-Daedalus

Count-Daedalus Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2002
    Okay, I watched the scene again. You can see it faintly but not as much as when the Emperor used it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.