main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sith lightsaber colors?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by MagicCoon, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagicCoon

MagicCoon Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2003
    Hi again!

I have yet another question...

Are Sith lightsabers pretty much limited to red coloration or would it be possible to see one that's purple...? I haven't been able to find anything saying that they come in other colors, but I thought I'd see if anyone here knew of any.

Thanks a million!

Sarah :)

2. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    i think they only come in red. in AOTC mace windu is the only jedi with a purple colored saber, so that's a good-guy color! =P i personally thought that was awesome since purple is my fave color

3. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    I don't think it matters either way.

Mara Jade had a non red one, and she was evil for a while, right?

I think you could have a glowing pink one if you wanted, it shouldn't matter much.

As for Sith and Purple....go for it. I love the idea of it :)

4. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    In "Broken Alligence", the hot chick who all the guys over in the FanFilms forum drool over was a Sith Apprentice and she used a purple saber, but I think it's better to stick with red.

Red is evil, blood, war, gory, blood, gory, evil. Red.

5. Fried_Sushi

Fried_Sushi Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2003
    Red, red, sometimes red, and maybe possibly red! ^_~

6. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    Oh please.

That's like saying death means evil and life means good. They don't. Red doesn't mean evil. Anyway I'm sure some jedi's have red sabers.

*wonders about black lightsabers*

Go for the gold, chicka!

Or at least the purple......

7. Skystrider77

Skystrider77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 6, 2003
    no black sabres lol....well, who has ed light sabre in the movies that isnt evil.....NOBODY!!

8. MagicCoon

MagicCoon Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2003
    Thanks guys! I guess it'll actually all come down to what color looks better with my costume. I'm the one thinking about a red skinned Dark Jedi Twi'lek...so red may be the color or choice, unless somehow a purple saber looks good.

Whoo hoo playing on the boards is FUN! (and addictive)

Sarah :)

9. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    wutabout Adi Gallia? She's good and had a red saber in TPM.

10. Vaderkahn

Vaderkahn Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2002
    There are only four "canon" colors for lightsabers - blue, green and purple are "good" colors, red is the singular color for evil.

No good guy has been shown using a red saber. In a scene cut from AotC, Tyranus did snatch up a blue saber and use it with his red, but that was pretty much for show, and it wasn't his permanent saber. In fact, currently only three people have ever been shown wielding red sabers - Darth Maul, Darth Tyranus and Darth Vader.

No other colors exist in canon - in fact, originally there was just blue and red, then in RotJ they couldn't use blue against the blue of the desert, so they went with green. Purple came into the picture as a favor to Sam Jackson. The other colors - yellow, orange, pink, silver, etc. are all EU only.

Also important to note - no Jedi has yet been shown wielding two of the same color blade. They always seem to use a green and a blue, not two greens or two blues. There are a couple shown in the arena battle (look closely and you'll see one using the "Adi Gallia" back-hand style with both blades), and of course Anakin.

Also - Adi's blade is pink, not red, on the figure and I think in the Jedi Starfighter game it's blue. Her "back-hand" grip is a rather cool idea.

11. SithKittie

SithKittie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2003
    from what I've read, the red colouration is from synthetic crystals, which gives the sith a slight power advantage, hence the reason they use it over natural ones. Though i thought another jedi had a red one besides Adi. lol, but my brain's broken at the moment and i can't remember who. but red looks awesome in combat so yeah ;)

12. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Adi Galia had a red saber? And I think Mara's was purple before she got Luke's blue one.

13. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    "Adi Galia had a red saber?"

The action figure came with one and in the Jedi Power Battles Game her's was red or some Reddish color.

I think they officially called it some other shade of Red but still, looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a swan.

Either way its up to the Sith, Duality had a sith with a Yellow saber and I thought that fit very well.

IMO I think a Sith with Blue or Green would be a bit wrong but any other color would work.

14. Doniven

Doniven Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    The red sith sabers I think is more of a tradition rather then a must, but I must say I was disappointed when Lucas limited blue green red & purple as the only colors for blades.

15. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    I don't know. I wouldn't mind seeing a Sith with a blue or green. I hae to wonder, was Dooku's red when he was a Jedi, or did he build a new one? I can't imagine all convert Dark Side users would build another saber just to have the red color. For the movies it works well, but for real life, I just don't know.

And in Jedi Apprentice book 1, one of the Padawans is using a red practice saber.

16. Doniven

Doniven Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    He might of just opened it & switched crystals for that

17. The_Clone_Emperor

The_Clone_Emperor Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2002
    [color=006699]Here in the EU we like to think of "canon" as suggested reading material.

The Clone Emperor was depicted as using a blue blade.
    [image=http://www.paralada.org/Estonia_self/Estonia_images/SWgeek/DragonCon03_img/Dragon03005.jpg]
    In the same storyline, a Darkside tempted Luke used a red crystal tuned blade. Red crystal blades are synthetic, I like to think of such blades as a more recent developement than blades of other colours and strengths. But that is my persoanl preference. The Clone Emperor's blue bladed lightsabre was the first blade from his collection of slain Jedi within reach. He armed himself immediately upon ressurrection to fend off the rampaging Skywalker.

I say don't limit yourself to canon blade colours. Let the virtue of your costume speak to what side of the force you are aligned. Canon leads to fear...[/color]

18. Vaderkahn

Vaderkahn Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2002
    I actually quite like the EU, but I will say having a bright red blade is certainly a good way to look evil.

But talking EU - Exar Kun's double saber was blue. You can have almost any color saber with the right crystals, and you could come up with a red saber that doesn't look so "Sith" like, such as a deep burgandy or even a lighter, candy apple instead of the intense red used in the films.

Still, plain red seems to look evil. I don't think there's really a reason a Jedi couldn't use a red blade, just that it wouldn't seem to fit. On the other hand, if you're a Jedi from a world where red connotates good, then go for it, but then I'd expect your Jedi garb to be a different color than the earth tones. Maybe a gold and red Jedi outfit to go with the red saber? The council, it appears, doesn't much care what your outfit looks like and respects cultural differences (Adi's headdress, Luminara's dark colors and tattoos, ditto for Bariss Offee, etc.).

It also seems that blue and green are the only two colors natural crystals produce, while you can make synthetics to make any color you want (which would explain the post-RotJ saber colors - natural crystals were much harder to come by).

The only color I couldn't see would be black - while you could draw such a thing, it just wouldn't be right. You could, however, make a "black light" saber, which is a deeper purple than Mace Windu's, and would look rather sinister for a Sith.

Question - does EL come in blacklight yet? If so, anyone made a blacklight EL blade yet?

19. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Still, plain red seems to look evil. I don't think there's really a reason a Jedi couldn't use a red blade, just that it wouldn't seem to fit.

I completely agree with that. Red for a Jedi just feels wrong. IMHO

It could fit if your Character is one of those Jedi who walk the line so to speak.

Someone suggested this above. What color did Dooku have when he was a Jedi?

I donno. It is highly likely in my mind that Dooku "turned in" his Jedi Saber when he quit. The red one he used in AOTC could have been built much later.

20. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    I'm all for any color for any side, jedi or sith.

I mean, red is assosiated with 'evil' but who says that sith are evil? [face_plain] I mean, we're looking at it from a biased viewpoint. Red has always been a strong color, and used to be symbolic of life giving powers. Red was also used to combat evils. It is also the symbol of love.

I cannot see a reason as to why a jedi would not use a red saber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.