main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT "Sith Lords are our specialty." Wait, what?!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by BigAl6ft6, Jan 1, 2013.

?

"Sith Lords are our specialty."

1. He was trying to put on a brave face for Palpy / psyche out Dooku

45 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. Damn straight Sith Lords are their speciality!

40 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    The comment was just a moment of Obi-Wan allowing his arrogance to get the best of him. I'm not saying this out of hatred for his character or anything like that. Because . . . honestly? Nearly all of the major characters in the PT (and the OT) have been guilty of arrogance.

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Could've would've should have. Fact is if he was to stupid to realise that jumping right into Obi-wans lightsaber rather than a bit further down the hill was not a good idea, he is not a good fighter.

Anakin/Vader also gets beaten by his son in RTJ who in the words of Lucas is just a half trained boy and it's uncertain if he could have beat Obi-wan in ANH if Obi-wan hadn't put up his sword.

He duels in 5 films and loses in 3, which include old men and his half trained son that's not a good record

3. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Again, someone is confusing lack of emotional control with lack of intelligence on Anakin's part. Why, I don't know. And if Anakin was such a bad fighter, could you explain why he was able to defeat Dooku in the end and not Obi-Wan?

wobbits and Seagoat like this.
  4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, I suppose the idea would be that lack of emotional control can lead to unwise ( "dumb" ) decisions. But there is arguably a rationale behind Anakin's actions, flawed though it may be. It's almost like trying to psych out reality, so to speak; to convince oneself that one's opponent will react in a certain way. In a different context I've fallen into the same kind of trap myself, and I don't consider myself especially dumb. If we assume for the sake of argument that there is some relevance to the alternate ending of the ROTS game, it seems that Anakin's intention was to land right behind Obi-Wan in a position to deliver a killing blow. The novel describes him leaping "at Obi-Wan's back". Landing "a bit further down the hill" essentially just resets the fight to stage one. Anakin doesn't want that. He's getting impatient and wants to end things.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Dooku was an old man and everyone has an off day, and the book says that Dooku was going to allow himself to get captured anyway, he just didn't know Palpatine was betraying him.

6. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    And some people are like Obi-Wan and have off lifetimes.

StarKiller81 likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Totally. "You underestimate my power", "Don't try it", is basically a mirror of "Your overconfidence is your weakness." and "You are unwise to lower your defenses!" (Notice how at that point Vader tosses the lightsaber at Luke. Probably musta thought "I ain't tryin that move again!" Of course, bad habbits die hard, he did jump straight at Luke on Bespin.)

8. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It's described differently in Labyrinth of Evil:

"You will duel them," Sidious had said. "Kill Kenobi. His only purpose is to die and, in so doing, ignite young Skywalker to tap the depths of his fear and rage. Should you defeat Skywalker easily, then we will know that he is not prepared to serve us. Perhaps he never will be prepared. Should he by some fluke best you, however, I will control the outcome to spare you any unnecessary embarrassment, and we will have gained a powerful ally. But above all you must make the contest appear real, Lord Tyranus." "I will treat it as if it were my crowning achievement," Dooku had promised.

ILNP likes this.
  9. OnesionRa

OnesionRa Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2012
    HAHAHAHA!!!! Well honestly, no other Jedi at that time could say that. Self-Esteem? Yup, but he still had more experience with them then any other Jedi. Hell he fought 3-4 of them in his life, I THINK he holds the record still unless Luke pulled some stuff I dont know about.

10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    You've got a pretty low (and somewhat funny) view of Obi-Wan: I don't think he ever bragged about or wanted to be known for killing a Sith. However, on the Invisible Hand, it was brought up as a verbal tactic.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What Obi-Wan meant to say was that Siff Soufflé was their specialty because he and Anakin are excellent cooks, but he got all nervous and tongue-tied and flubbed what he was saying.

Darkslayer likes this.
  12. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Or at least it used to be... [face_laugh]

minnishe and SithStarSlayer like this.
  13. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Normally I'd say cutting a person in half is a decisive, not ambiguous victory.

I'd have far preferred to find out Zabraks had nothing of importance below their waists (stomach, intestines, etc.) rather than "using hate" as a means to survive such a bisection.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm still not sure "hate" was all there was to it...

15. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    he was just being funny

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I was being funny, too.

17. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Sith Lords were their speciality.

Before the Jedi Order met its swift end, they offered Sith Lords on Monday through Friday, and barbecued jumbo shrimp on weekends.

Darkslayer, minnishe and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. SoloBrothers

SoloBrothers Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2013
    It's actually only 13 years after Maul's first death

19. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I think Obi-Wan was just being a bit "reckless" with that comment.
    I find it ironic that Obi-Wan is shown to be more "Reckless" as he got older. He seemed the perfect apprentice in TPM, The level headed Master in AOTC.(Though there was his diving out the window after Zam's droid...)

But in ROTS, he seems reckless all over the place. (Taking on Grievous alone, "How did this happen? We're smarter than this?" " Sith Lords are our specialty" Etc) I was always under the impression that when Ben told Yoda "So was I (reckless) if you remember." he was talking when he was about Luke's age and not in his late 30's at the close of the Clone Wars!

DBPirate likes this.
  20. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    He's just trying to keep Palpatine calm. Basically his way of saying, “Dude, chill. We've got this, OK?”

21. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Please do not spam the thread with "I hate this forum" without adding anything of substance. If you feel the thread and/or forum is without it, I suggest you avoid it altogether.

22. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Not that simple though. Obi-Wan defeated Maul and trained Anakin. He is speaking directly to the Sith that will "complete Anakin's training." Plus Obi-Wan's being pretty cocky considering what will transpire.

23. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    We got this from RLM didn't we? Well, they're not completely useless against Sith Lords.

Obi-Wan "killed" Maul in TPM and Anakin beat Dooku nearly to exhaustion in Crisis on Naboo. I guess I agree with Obi-John Kenobi on this though. He's just being cocky.

24. Selkith2000

Selkith2000 Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2015
    Seriously? This is the most stupidest question/statement I've heard from the PT. How can you not understand what Obi-Wan was saying? He and Anakin are our main heroes so we've seen them have the most experience against Sith Lords or Dark Side users e.g. Ventress, Savage and Maul. And in the 3 years since AOTC do you think Obi-Wan and Anakin wouldn't perfect their lightsaber techniques after their duel with Dooku or encounter another Sith before ROTS? That's what the Clone Wars was for, so Obi-Wan wasn't being arrogant just stating to Palpatine (or the audience) that "Sith Lords" are their area of expertise. If the original poster of this thread did some research and watched or read the comics, books and tv shows or even knew what the word "speciality" means than we wouldn't have these idiotic comments. This is just another moron trying to bash the prequels or George Lucas.

25. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    This is the main thing that I don't like about the EU. Granted, it's no longer canon, but seriously, you've fought Dooku TONS of times and yet you've never beaten him?