main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Sith Lords are our specialty"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by John_Elway, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_Elway

John_Elway Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2005
    Obi's words to Palapatine in Ep 3. Why would he say this when Dooku handed him his lunch in Ep 2 and does it again shortly after?

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I think he's referring to the fact that he killed Maul and they both fared well against Dooku.
    More than that, though, he was being a charming matinee hero ;)

Dooku is dead
    /LM

3. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    ?and they both fared well against Dooku.

I disagree on that point. They both got their butts handed to them by Dooku in AOTC.

However, after all the time they spent in the field of battle since AOTC they were both much more experienced warriors. The ROTS novel really does a great job of narrating that fight. For example, Obi-Wan was using a simple (almost novice) lightsaber form to misrepresent his skill and then he changed to an advanced style to surprise Dooku.

4. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Considering that they were both way out of their league in AOTC, I think they did really good against Dooku.

Yep
    /LM

5. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    This is just my take on the line, but I always assumed Obi-Wan was referring to the Jedi Order in general, that it is the Jedi's duty to deal with the Sith.

However, if Obi-Wan was referring to himself and Anakin on a personal level, I think the line works. Obi-Wan defeated Maul, and both he and Anakin survived their first encounter with Dooku. They're essentially the only two Jedi (barring Yoda) to ever engage the Sith on a repeated basis. For better or for worse, its their specialty ;)

6. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    It's a cool sounding line, but it doesn't make any sense. In the last thousand years, there have been only two Sith duels. One went badly (the Dooku duel, even Yoda didn't win when fighting him) the other was a close victory (yes, Obi-wan killed Maul, but not until his master died and he got very close to doing the same).

7. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    This is just my take on the line, but I always assumed Obi-Wan was referring to the Jedi Order in general, that it is the Jedi's duty to deal with the Sith.

I agree. At that point, poor Obi-Wan doesn't know he is talking to his Worshipfulness, the Sith Lord himself. He thinks he is telling a civilian that it is the Jedi order's duty to deal with the Sith.

8. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    No, I think Obi-Wan did know. It was a subtle threat directed towards the Chancellor ;)

Obi-Wan is smarter than we know
    /LM

9. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    You are saying that Obi-Wan knew Palpatine was Darth Sidious? [face_thinking] I think Obi-Wan knew Palpatine was a complete sleazebag. But the Sith master himself? I think not!

As far as I can see, the entire Jedi order of the PT, including Obi-Wan, is so lacking in intelligence and insight that even after 13 years, Sidious actually has to openly admit he IS the Sith master before they know. They meet with him daily, fight a war for him for 3 years, they are beings with almost supernatural powers, yet in RotS, they have to be told where Grievous is hiding, who Sidious really is, and that huge gifts from unknown sources (Kamino clone army) should not be taken at face value. Perhaps they needed to hear the tale of the Trojans and the wooden horse.

10. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Obi-Wan was just trash talking. Don't read too much into it.

11. Silent_Ron

Silent_Ron Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    Agreed. Its good to know that there are others who think that the Jedi were so arrogant with their own abilities that they became complacent enough for a scheming Sith sleeze-bag to manipulate his way into DOMINATING THE GALAXY under their very noses.

The Jedi were too arrogant. Even Obi Wan. Guess he wasn't thinking that Sith Lords were his specialty while Vader was waxing him on the Death Star in Episode IV!!!

12. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    Obi-Wan is just being arrogant. He luckily kills a Sith, and now he's strutting around the place like Superman. ;)

13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Obi-Wan later kills Grievous single-handedly. Sure he relies on luck again when a blaster happens to be placed conveniently nearby, but he pretty much owned Grievous during their short lightsaber duel, where so many other Jedi failed.

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    It's a cheeky line. What do you want?

15. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    Obi-Wan later kills Grievous single-handedly. Sure he relies on luck again when a blaster happens to be placed conveniently nearby, but he pretty much owned Grievous during their short lightsaber duel, where so many other Jedi failed.

Grievous isn't exactly a difficult opponent.

16. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Huh. I thought a giant cyborg with 4 lightsabers would be a relatively difficult opponent, but what do I know? 8-}

Anyway, this thread is more ROTS related than the PT.

17. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    He means him and Anakin are the only 2 at that time to engage with a sith multiple times.

18. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    forever_jedi: I was joking. Hence the smiley.

Jokes are funny
    Laugh!

/LM

19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Does it have to have a meaning? Does every single line have to have a serious meaning that we can sit down and discuss?

Why can't you just have a fun line that does really mean anything, but its just something fun to say?

20. dee_dee24m

dee_dee24m Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2003
    Agreed; it's just a smart, funny line.

21. andkiich

andkiich Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2005
    Kenobi is being a smart-alec

22. John_Elway

Aug 25, 2005
    Hey now, this is my first post. Cut me some slack.

23. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    John_Elway posted on 8/26/05 8:44am
    Hey now, this is my first post. Cut me some slack. [hr][/blockquote]

And you're a freakin' Hall of Famer!

24. John_Elway

Aug 25, 2005

25. AmosMoses

AmosMoses Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2005
    I didn't have a problem with that line. It's just Obi-Wan telling someone he thinks is a civillian or innocent bystander that this is the Jedi's job. Kinda like a police officer saying "Move along, nothing to see here, we'll take care of it."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.