main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Sith Lords are our specialty"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by John_Elway, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Grievous isn't exactly a difficult opponent.

No kidding! Has there every been anyone worse with lightsabers than him?

2. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Pun intended?

3. AmosMoses

AmosMoses Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2005
    No kidding! Has there every been anyone worse with lightsabers than him?

I think not, and what do you do when you have the worst lightsaber user in the galaxy? Give him four.

4. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    I like the line. If I had killed Darth Maul, you wouldn't be able to shut me up about it.

EDIt: Also, take a close look at the Dooku-Obi dule in ROTS, there's a shot of Palpatine right before Dooku raises Obi-Wan that leads me to believe that he had a hand in removing Kenobi from that duel.

5. John_Elway

John_Elway Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2005
    Now thats interesting! I will have to check that out.

6. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Sith lords are their specialty. Obi-Wan kills Maul and ruins Vader. (Obi-Wan is then killed by Vader.)

Anakin kills Dooku and Sidious.

Go Cal!

7. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    Exactly.
    People saying we are reading too much into the line are wrong. It is only supposed to be light-hearted/suave the first time you hear it, like a great deal of the prequel dialogue actually. There are several facts to back my opinion.
    Look at the three people present! The only 2 Jedi in the movies to ever defeat a Sith, and the Sith Lord himself!

Secondly, it shows us the cocky nature of Obi-Wan before the Republic fell. It is the second time in about 5 minutes:

Anakin: "I sense Dooku."
    Obi-Wan: "I sense a trap."
    Anakin: "Next move?"
    Obi-Wan: "Spring the trap!"
    5 minutes later...
    Sidious: "You're no match for him, he's a Sith Lord!" (lol)
    Obi-Wan: "Chancellor Palpitine, Sith Lords are our specialty."
    Superb irony, whether you analyse it or not. Especially considering Sidious's plan at that moment is to kill Obi-Wan. He is counting on the fact the Obi-Wan is no match for Dooku, that is what makes it so clever.

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003

Sidious: "You're no match for him, he's a Sith Lord!"
    Obi-Wan: "Chancellor Palpitine, Sith Lords are our specialty."

This is Palps spreading propaganda about the Sith being superior to Jedi. Sideous is making a play for Anakin's soul right from the start of the movie, telling Anakin (in an underhand way)that if he wants power, ultimate power, the Dark Side is where it's at.

Obi-Wan counteracts by reminding Palpatine that the Jedi are specifically trained to fight the Sith, and indeed, the Jedi are responsible for the near extinction of the Sith order (and this neatly leads us back to the title of the movie, the Sith want revenge against the Jedi because of the damage the Jedi have done them in the past). When Obi-Wan says our in this context he's not referring to himself, or even to himself and Anakin as a team, he's talking about the entire Jedi order.

This is really yet another volley between Sideous and Obi-Wan in the battle for Anakin's soul, with Obi-Wan fighting against a (phantom)menace he can't quite pinpoint, while the overconfident Sideous underestimates Obi-Wan (and the Jedi) yet again.

9. i_dont_know

Aug 6, 2005
    Very true.
    But I liked my observation better :p

10. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005

laughable - sorry to say that. Every time it comes up to taking on a Sith, the Jedi go with two or even more fighters against one Sith. Darth Maul: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan against Darth Maul. Fight won only due to being lucky. Count Dooku in AOTC: Obi-Wan and Anakin against Dooku. Just the timely arrival of Yoda saved their lives. Count Dooku in ROTS: Obi-Wan didn't look very superior in this fight, and Anakin won due to going dark part-time. Sidious in ROTS: They thought it was necessary to go with no less than four members of the Jedi Council against the Lord of Evil. Three of them didn't even survive the first minute fighting Sidious. So who's "overconfident" here?

11. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Sideous is. He tells Maul the Jedi would be no match for him - Maul loses; that screws up his plans. Anakin is supposed to be this great, powerful uber-Sith - fights Kenobi, loses, plan screwed up again. Lucas confirms this. In his own fight against Mace he gets disarmed because he takes on a master of the lightsaber at his speciality, rather than making it a battle of Force-powers, one that I would assume he would win - overconfidence again. End of ROTJ Palps fails to turn Luke and fails to keep Vader, and ends up being dropped down a reactor shaft.

Lucas always shows the Sith to be overconfident.

12. i_dont_know

Aug 6, 2005
    mandragora's comment still stands though.
    The Jedi would be hypocritical to say overconfidence is solely a Sithly trait.
    Of course Lucas shows the Sith to be over-confident. It's the reason for their downfall since he made ROTJ, he can't change that anyway. This doesn't mean he doesn't show the Jedi as over-confident too. The Republic did fall, remember?

And I recall a certain conversation with Yoda, Mace and Obi-Wan foreshadowing their demise:
    "His abilities have made him... well, arrogant."
    "A trait more and more common among Jedi. Tooo sure of themselves they are".

And what happens to all three of them in the next movie -
    Obi-Wan must chop of the legs of the boy he thought he could train, and watch him burn. Mace storms confidently into Sidious's coffice to arrest him. He probably would have had him too, had Anakin never shown up. (But that was forseen by Sidious, so why speculate).
    "The oppression of the Sith will never return. You... have lost."
    Then Yoda goes to face Sidious. To Obi-Wan: "Powerful enough to face Sidious... you are not."
    Oh, and Yoda was?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm speaking from a fan's point of view, but you have to be quite open minded about the Jedi in the prequels. They aren't gods, only Sith have that delusion.

This probably wouldn't conflict with Lucas's opinion either. The whole meaning behind the saga's climax, and the Jedi themselves, is summed up by one action. Luke throwing away his weapon and refusing to fight Vader. This includes refusing to fight Sidious. Bit different to Yoda in his earlier days. Yoda's aggression when trying to stop Sidious, and his over-confidence, is even in the dialogue before the fight:
    Yoda enters the room and knocks the two guards into the wall. Were they killed? (just kidding)
    Sidious: "Master Yoda... you survived."
    Yoda: "Surprised?"
    Sidious: "Your arrogance blinds you master Yoda." (He may be a Sith, but a lot of what he says is true, to an extent) "Now you will experience the full power of the darkside." I don't think he was only referring to lightning here.
    A bit after Yoda is lighting shocked, we see him lying there.
    Sidious: "I have waited a looong time for this moment, my little greeen friend.
    Yoda opens his eyes. Now he's pissed. He gets up, but looks weaker than before.
    Sidious: "At last... the Jedi are no more."
    Yoda: "Not if anything to say about it, I have!" Yoda force-pushes Sidious. He goes flying over his desk.
    Yoda: "At an end your rule is. And not short enough it was." Sidious jumps for the door, but Yoda jumps in front, blocking the door.
    Yoda: "If so powerful you are...," Yoda grabs his sabre fancily. "why leave?" He lights the sabre (notice the same colour as Luke's). Yoda is actually the one who initiated the duel. But only after being lightning attacked.
    (Interestingly, lightning ends the fight also, and causes Yoda to lose his sabre. And Luke is lightning fried in ROTJ when he throws his green sabre away).
    Sidious: "You will not stop me. Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us."
    "Faith in your new apprentice, misplaced maybe."
    Wow, I just notice there are two examples of foreshadowing here, not just the "misplaced faith comment". All referring to Vader killing Sidious.
    - "You will not stop me": True. But Sidious then proudly goes on about the apprentice that will kill him.
    - "...more powerful than either of u

13. i_dont_know

Aug 6, 2005
    lol, whoops, i forgot to erase the duplicate Yoda quote at the end, and it ironically summed up my point.

(BUMP)

14. CadeFoster2000

CadeFoster2000 Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2005
    I think Palpatine hit the nail on the head when he told Anakin that the Jedi and the Sith are similar in almost every way. They are. Both can be overconfident and arrogant. Maybe there are more similarities than differences...

Just a thought.

15. TomPiltoff

TomPiltoff Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    The line makes perfect sense. In the last 1,000 years, two Sith Lords have popped out. Obi-Wan has dealt with both of them.

16. jedi's accountant

jedi's accountant Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 1999
    1) Obi-Wan is the only living Jedi to have killed a Sith.
    2) Anakin is the Chosen One whose purpose is to rid the galaxy of the Sith.

I would call it a specialization.

17. Vaeron

Vaeron Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2005
    In what way, EXACTLY, does Maul dying screw up Sidious' plans? Do you think Maul would have been a charismatic, respectable figure who could put together the Seperatist confederacy? Sidious was DONE with Maul. He needed Tyranus.

18. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    The Sith are the arch rival of the Jedi. Sometimes when I listen to Obi-Wan say that, I think of it as silly. Only Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and Luke Skywalker have defeated a Sith in combat within the past thousand years prior to the end of the Sith. But the line holds vality.

19. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    [face_laugh] Imagine Maul negotiating with the Techno Union and the Banking Clan!

20. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    In what way, EXACTLY, does Maul dying screw up Sidious' plans?

I can't remember the exact Lucas quote, but he says something to the effect of Sideous having screwed up by getting Maul killed and needing to replace him. Perhaps someone more industrious can come up with the exact quote.

21. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    Maul's powerful...it would be a loss to have him dead. But I have to agree. It wasn't a HUGE priority for Sidious to keep him alive. Sidious is a Sith, all he has to do is find a replacement. Which he did, successfully.

22. Silent_Ron

Silent_Ron Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    Maul was a battery of destructive power. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it came to thinking. Dooku filled in nicely as Sidious' apprentice, which makes you think: How else would Sidious have orchestrated a civil war within the Republic without Dooku's help?

Maul couldn't have rallied a Separist group. Sidious would have only been able to bamboozle a few systems at the most (ala the Trade Federation). No, he needed somebody charismatic enough to rally a revolution. Did he have Dooku in mind all along? Was Maul's destiny to be destroyed at the hands of the Jedi?

I know this is off topic, but you can clearly see the manipulation by Palpatine to bring his plan to fruition. He is clearly the most powerful Sith Lord and for that matter "force user" on the block during this whole era.

Back on topic, I agree with one of the earlier posts in that over the past 1000 years there have been only a few confrontations with the Sith by the Jedi. Obi Wan and Anakin have earned the right to call Sith Lords their "specialty".

23. i_dont_know

Aug 6, 2005
    Although I agree with most of the other repsonses to this, was Dooku really that neccessary to start the Seperatist movement? To be honest, I think Sidious just wanted an apprentice who could take the blame. Make Dooku the image of the enemy, so no one focuses on Palpitine, then kill off Dooku and claim the spoils. It's quite clever.

I think Maul dying did slow Sidious's plans. If he had encountered less resistance during the Naboo invasion, it probably would have started the Clone Wars then.
    But I have to give some credit to Qui-Gon and "will of the force" here, for indirectly leading Anakin into the cockpit of a Naboo fighter [face_laugh]. The last three times he spoke to Anakin it was related to finding cover, which put Anakin in the cockpit.

Notice Sidious appears to be more with the Seperatists in TPM, but appears more strongly linked to the Republic in ATOC. It's like he re-formulated his strategy.

24. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Now I remember why I love this fandom. Overanalyzation of everything.

25. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Because he's a Jedi Master, and Jedi's are the only formable opponets to the Sith.

They are mortal enemies with eachother, just like Jedi Knights would be The Sith's specialty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.