main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sith Names

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by LordVader66, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    vader left behind the name anakin skywalker because it had "no meaning" for him however other sith lords dooku (tyranus) and sith master palp (sidious) continued to use their real names. for darth maul palp prolly never even told him his real name and just refered to him as lord maul. vader could have also gone by anakin.

2. COMMANDER76

COMMANDER76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    so what are we supposed to discuss here???

3. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    i think when refering to vader you could have called him anakin to and he should have been fine with it

4. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Remeber, Dooku [Tyrannus] and Palpatine [Sidious] had to go by names other than their sith names in order to not attract attention. Think about it the Jedi might have been suspicious if Darth Sidious was leading the Senate and Darth Tyrannus was the Seperatist leader. They used other names beacuse they couldn't use their sith names. Vader and Maul have no reason to conceal that they are sith so they only go by their sith names.

5. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    Also, Palpatine and Maul clearly have deeper roots in the dark side, and Dooku doesn't seem to have much of a problem with his turn, but Anakin's turn had a lot of bad stuff going with it. Reminding him of "Anakin Skywalker" would probably be like opening an old wound. He was probably reacting to that.

6. the-shrude-dude

the-shrude-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    i think the "that name has no meaning for me" stuff has more to do with anakin/Vader himself rather than a Sith edict.

7. DarthQuellonis

DarthQuellonis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2005
    Anakin doesn't use his name to repress his good side.

8. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    Vader knows he did bad and is ashamed. But he is an evil monster, so in order to drop the guilt...he ignores his earlier life...and it add mystery.

9. jedimonkie

jedimonkie Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2005
    "...he ceased to be anakin skywalker and became darth vader. when that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed."
    -obi-wan ROTJ

according to obi-wan he's not anakin anymore, therefore it would be inappropriate for anyone to call him that.

10. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    He didn't seem to distressed when Sidious was referring to his son as "The Son of Skywalker" in ESB, but that's more of a plot device. If he'd said "Call him the Son of Vader!" or "I'm not Skywalker anymore!" the surprise of ESB woulda been kinda ruined.

11. Enshu-Atsukau

Enshu-Atsukau Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2005
    Well, this just enhances the point, doesn't it ! Even Sidious seems to refer to two different persons called "Skywalker" and "Vader". It is true that doing otherwise would have spoiled the surprise, but it fits perfectly with Vader's will of forgetting his past life. The reasons of evacuating the guilt mentioned in this thread seem fair to me.

By the way, it reminds me of another story of someone forgetting his old (real) name for a new one. But Dumbledore still calls Lord Voldemort "Tom". And I'm sure this doesn't please him. Don't get me wrong, I'm not making any parallel between the two stories, it is merely a remindering because I'm rereading the Half-Blood Prince right now ... Still funny !

12. jedimonkie

jedimonkie Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2005
    think of it this way: when a mogwai becomes a gremlin do you still call it a mogwai? no. so why would you call vader anakin after he has become vader.

13. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    You could also think of sith names as code names in some situations.

Good Stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.