main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sith Rising

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by iwjev, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwjev

iwjev Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    Sith Rising will be the new expansion to the Wizards of the Cost StarWars TCG. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this new expansion.

Also if you know of any good websits for this or any other part of the SW TCG you can post it here.

2. iwjev

Mar 18, 2002
    So far the only thing that I know is that there will ONLY be 90 cards in the set and that Mace Windu and Darth Maul should be in it.

So far I am already upset with this expansion. There will only be 90 cards in it. I am not happy with there only being 180 cards in the premier set and the new one will have half that amount.

Links:
    http://members.aol.com/jediarchive/

3. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    I understand your concerns about card numbers. It seems to me that WOTC is concerned with keeping the game "ultra" simple. Couple that to the fact that many of the character cards have multiples (A,B,C,D) versions in the premier expansion, it sure doesn't allow for much variety. The 90 card expansion just seems to leave a lot of CCG players wanting more. Wars and Rings premier expansions were closer to 360 cards, with expandions at 180 cards. Those numbers however require learning a lot more game text. Kids might be turned off with having to learn that many cards at once. You'd have to ask Wizards for the reasons why the initial release and upcoming expansions are so small.

Restrainingbolt

4. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    The 90 card set is perfect. It is coming out only a few months after the initial 180 card set. And in November, we get another 180 cards.

This makes it easy on the wallet. We get 450 cards this year. We'll get 3 sets every year and that means about 360-540 new cards each year. It will mean a longer overall lifespan for the game.

One of the reasons I was turned off by LOTR was the intimidating release schedule. How many cards are there now in just 8-9 months? 600+ or so. Insane.

5. iwjev

Mar 18, 2002
    STAR WARS CCG: SITH RISING BOOSTER PACKS The Dark Side is an attractive force to players of the Star Wars Trading Card Game, and Sith Rising lets players discover the powers of the Dark Side with new characters, weapons, and ships from the Star Wars saga. Play your cards right and find out how rewarding being bad really is! 11 cards per Booster Pack. Scheduled to ship 07/31/02.

6. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    7/31 Yes! I need to go reset my countdown clock!

7. Master_of_Darkness

Master_of_Darkness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Can't wait to see some more Dooku cards... and hopefully some more Yoda cards possibly.. Yoda/Dooku duel ones. :D

8. iwjev

Mar 18, 2002
    I can't wait for the Maul, Mace, and maybe even... Vader!!

John

9. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    The Fellowship of the Rings, premiere set for LOTR, had 365 cards. Mines of Moria had 122 and Realms of the Elf-Lords will have 122 as well. So after its first 12 months LOTR will have 609 cards.

But the difference between LOTR's 609 and SW:TCG's 450 is only 159 cards, less than one SW:TCG "big" expansion, slightly more than LOTR's "small" expansions, so I don't know what the big deal is, Baca.

LOTR's release schedule is one expansion set every 4 months. SW:TCG's premiere set AOTC came out in April, and the next two are planned for July (3 months after set #1) and Nov. (4 months after set #2) so the frequency of sets is about the same so far.

10. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    To me 159 cards is quite a bit. Also when I made my decision, it was from the perspective of me still collecting SWCCG and trying to catch up to the latest sets they pummeled out that year, and the LotR release schedule scared me as a second game.
    Then immediately after the license issue I considered picking it up, but I did not desire to play catchup and settle for second edition cards (even if it was a teensy tiny word difference on the bottom of the card) since the first printing sold out.
    Then I just caught on to SWTCG and it went from there, so loooking at it the way you put it, I guess 159 cards is not a significant difference, but like you said it is almost a whole set worth. To me the SWTCG size is just right.

11. iwjev

Mar 18, 2002
    Do you think they will start over with the chatacter letters in the new expansions?

Will the next Anakin be an 'A' or 'E'?

Of course I hope that this is not an issue in this expansion. There is still a lot of AOTC cards that needs to be made.

John

12. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    I'm sure they'll stick with keeping on in succesion so the next Anakin (if there was another), for instance in any set would be E. Of course Vader would start at A again.

13. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    I notice that the info iwjev posted mentions weapons. So it looks like SWTCG will get weapon cards in the new set, which can only be a good thing (unless weapons are dumb...)

As for the collectability of LotR vs SWTCG, yes LotR does have many more cards to get. But that's what those of us who were complaining about the small size of the sets didn't like about SWTCG. It had a small amount of cards, and we didn't like that. But I guess Baca does, so good for him. As for the size of the sets in LotR being too big, I'll agree that the Fellowship of the Ring set was somewhat intimidating. When a box doesn't guarantee a full set of uncommons, that's what I might call too big. But really, it isn't so bad. The other two sets that come out each year are small enough that buying the starters and a box or two will net you pretty much all you'll ever need of that set (barring a few rares you just HAVE to have 4 of, and you should have enough doubles of outher rares to get them in trades). I bought a box and two starters of Mines of Moria and got all but 5 cards in the set. Another box and I should be set. So you can just buy a relatively small amount of cards for each small expansion when it comes out, and go back to focusing on that year's big expansion. And a year of collecting is long enough for even a 365 card set. Not to mention the fact that if Decipher's past games have been any indication, you'll end up with more FotR cards than you want because any good set will get packed into boutique products over and over and over... One great thing about the Virtual Cards is I don't have to get even more Premiere and Jabba's Palace with them. ;)

14. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    RE:"So it looks like SWTCG will get weapon cards in the new set"

Wow, I totally missed that. Yes it does in fact look like this is true. Hmmm.I smell new topic on this issue......

15. iwjev

Mar 18, 2002
    Also notice this part "from the Star Wars saga" which means it might not all come from Ep2.

I want Vader!

John

16. iwjev

Mar 18, 2002
    Here is the new Mace Windu B card:

Mace Windu
    Character Jedi
    Build 7
    Speed 60 Power 6 Health 5
    Pay 2 Force -> Evade 2
    Pay 1 Force -> Mace gets +2 power for this attack.
    "Be Wary, this disturbance in the Force is growing stronger"
    Version B

http://www.rebelbasers.com/

17. Blues

Blues Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2002
    I think the 90 card set will be a good way to go for Wotc. Tried keeping up with Deciphers mad rush towards the end of the licence and found myself a bit bogged down by all the new releases.

18. Jango_Prime

Jango_Prime Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    That Mace sounds alot like this one! (Only differnences are- Version, Power)

[image=http://fusionofleaders.freeservers.com/images/mcwcard.jpg]

And if that is version B, version A must be a great card...

19. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    I presume that is the real Mace card? Looks nice.

20. Jango_Prime

May 22, 2002
    No, I'm afraid not, Its just my hopes and dreams...

I made it myself ;)
    (Critique it if you wish)

21. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Very nice. What did you use? What are the fonts?
    I made a dream card but had to cust and paste every letter, took a long time.

22. Jango_Prime

May 22, 2002
    Thats what I did.

And here is my new Anakin-

[image=http://swtcg.iwarp.com/images/anakincard.jpg]

23. Jango_Prime

May 22, 2002
    I just saw your card, it looks awesome! MUCH better then mine. Do you know where I can Find card pics that size and quality? Unlike the pics I'm using...

24. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Do you mean my card? I just cut and pasted each letter in to make each word or in some cases used the whole word.

I got the pic off SW.com. It's actually Nom Anor, but I just "pretend" Nom is wearing an ooglith masquer to look like me (it intimidates Leia, reminds her of when we dated before she met Han :) )
    I also surf around the web and whenever I see a cool pic that I think would be a good card image, I save it until it inspires an idea. I have a few cards I want to make right now, but it takes so long that way, I want to find out what the fonts are to just type them in.

25. Jango_Prime

May 22, 2002
    I was actually talking about the card template. Mine are so small. Where did you get that one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.