main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sith using force choke.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by 4DM, Jul 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4DM

4DM Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2003
    Why don't they use force choke to kill their opponents like Yoda, obi-wan, anakin, and luke during lightsabre battle?

2. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    I think that another force-user can repel the force choke. If u play the game :Jedi Knight you can force push the person choking you...

3. NateTheGreat

NateTheGreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2003
    Maybe lightsaber dueling requires consentration of the force. Else, why don't they just force-push their opponents lightsaber into them.

4. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    So far Vader is the only one to use this, right?

5. Nick_DenHartigh

Nick_DenHartigh Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2003
    Am I the only one who knows the real name of the power, Force Grip?

-KNick

6. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Perhaps, but "choke" is more fun to type. :p

Well, depending on what you believe Luke did to the Gamorean in RotJ, Vader's not the only one to use the Force to choke someone.

And so far, from what I remember, only Vader and Maul have used other offensive Force abilities while actually in the middle of a saber battle. Maul the Force Push and tossing objects around some. Vader tossing multiple objects at the same time while dueling. He didn't have to do a focusing move to do it, either, from what I remember...or at least not as much as Maul did.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Using Force choke requires concentration, and during a lightsaber duel, most folks don't get the opportunity to concentrate that much.

8. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Maybe the force choke is a Jedi technique and not a Sith. Vader was a Jedi first before a Sith, so he was trained to use it from his Jedi days. Sith who were not ever Jedis don't have this technique. The force push is both a Jedi and Sith technique because both Obi-Wan and Darth Maul used it. If Maul had not used it in Episode I, I would have said that it was a Jedi technique and that Dooku had used it in Episode II from his Jedi days.

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Actually, I think the reason Vader favors Force choke as his signature move is he's somewhat bitter about being dependent on life support to be able to breathe. I imagine him snickering to himself and thinking "Welcome to my world, sucka!" as he watches Needa floundering around on the floor. :p

10. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    That is a highly plausible scenerio Mara, very plausible indeed.

Like others have said, a Jedi is capable of blocking the grip by using other Force ablities that they have. It requires concentration so all a Jedi would have to do is break the enemies concentration and they are free, this can be done through lightening, grip, push, pull, TK, etc.

11. vmhz

vmhz Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2003
    I always wondered why Palpatine didn't Force Choke Rune Haako, at the beginning of TPM, when he says "Viceroy, get this ?stunted? slime out of my sight"

12. LordOfTetris

LordOfTetris Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2002
    I always figured that force choke was a simple variation of "force move-stuff-around." IE, even a plain Jedi can do it, as long as he's capable of moving , say, a pear across the table. Going from the way the OT presents the Force, the sides are reasonably equal (Yoda says that no one side is more powerful), and that it's up to the user how to use the power.

13. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Mara: Well, Vader does have a twisted and ironic sense of humor. Sounds like just the kind of thing he'd do.

vmhz: I believe in an earlier draft of TPM, Sidious does just this (it's Daultay Dofine, BTW). He makes some comment about his powers not being limited just because he's so far away.

14. jimkk29

jimkk29 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    Choke does not work against other force users (either Jedi or Sith). They can block it.

15. Yazid_Skywalker

Jul 10, 2002
    In ROTJ i've always thought that Luke didn't use force grip. He was merely playing a mind trick on the Gamorrean guards. Evidence:
    1)He was using it on both guards at the same time.
    2)The guards were stupid therefor easier to manipulate their mind
    What do u think???

16. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    That's too complicated. Making someone think they're being choked when they're not while it has the same effect either way? Nah... if he mind tricked the guards he could just as well have waved his hand and said "You will let me pass" instead. He choked them, plain and simple. He probably did not kill them though.

17. Yazid_Skywalker

Jul 10, 2002
    I didn't know u can choke 2 at a time. And I refuse to believe that it can be done.

18. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    Of course you can choke 2 at a time... Yoda can lift an X-Wing with the force, so it should be relatively simple to constrict two guards airways with "invisible hands". It's just telepathy.

19. There_IS_no_Conflict

There_IS_no_Conflict Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    I object also, you can (EDIT) NOT force-focus at two things at the same time it is difficult. Numerous examples.. Even when dueling the dueler stops for a little while to use his force powers alternative.
    You could say he is force chocking one and then instantly the other and they would probably both end up dead

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.