main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

size matters not?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Kyle-Katarn_wannabe, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle-Katarn_wannabe

Kyle-Katarn_wannabe Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2004
    Hi, I've been wondering recently what yoda actually meant when he said that size matters not. I mean wouldn't every jedi agree that picking up a pebble is easier than picking up an x-wing? Even yoda had a lot of trouble with that thing Dooku dropped on anakin and obi wan in AOTC.
    Does anyone have any ideas about whether size or weight effects the force?

2. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    You know what he meant....

Yoda, its also hard to get to England in a rowboat.

Okay, that joke is out of the way.

Yes, if the Force really is all powerful, then the difference between lifting an X-Wing, moving a planet, or picking up a piece of paper would not be all that vastly different if set against a Universal scale.

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    It doesn't, or doesn't much. Yoda was trying to get Luke to get size and weight out of his thinking that he couldn't lift it, so that he could concentrate on lifting it in the first place.

4. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Is it a message to the students and children of our universe that you shouldnt judge a person by their size?

5. vacantlook

vacantlook Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2004
    Even yoda had a lot of trouble with that thing Dooku dropped on anakin and obi wan in AOTC.

Yoda had just been dueling with his former Padawan who he came to realize was now a Sith Lord. I'd say his mind wasn't exactly in the kind of place it'd have to be to lift the column Dooku loosed on Anakin and Obi-Wan with great ease.

6. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    "No! No different! Only in your mind!"

I don't think size does matter- however, I think it's quite a significant challenge to let go of the idea and truly *believe* that it's no harder to lift an X-wing than a small pebble.

7. grav1mage

grav1mage Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2004
    it must matter somewhat...otherwise yoda or obi wan could have cast the whole deathstar into the nearest sun. Or, why would palpatine need a deathstar when he could toss a planet into a star?

i think size matter not in that all things can be moved by the force, but the power it takes it different.

8. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    The Jedi aren't supermen. And besides "Jedi use the force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack."

9. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    The only possible hole in the "Size matters not"
    statement is that it would seem that the larger the Jedi, the more Midichlorians.
    The more Midi's,the more powerful one could be with the Force.

This also begs the question, if Anakin becomes more
    machine than man, does he lose Midi's, and therefore
    become less powerful with the force?

Any ideas?

10. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    I agree with JediTrilobite. In order to start lifting something you must get weight and size out of the matter.
    As for the losing midichlorians part my theory is this.When there were tremendous amounts of midichlorians in anakin, they gave him vast knowledge of the Force. By the time he became Vader, he already knows how to use theForce. therefore little midichlorians would sufice.

11. Kyle-Katarn_wannabe

Mar 12, 2004
    Choosing not to think about size may help but the fact that yoda never smashed the death star into corscant tells us that size definately is a factor.

12. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I think what Yoda ment by "size matters not" was that it doesn't matter how big a person is.

Doesn't yoda say right after that "judge me by my size do you?" Meaning if Yoda could pick up the X-wing so could Luke. The size of the person doesn't matter, the force works the same through every Jedi.

That plus, you would try to pick up a ship the same way you'd try to pick up a rock. One would be harder to pick up but you would try to pick them up the same way through the force.

Its like going hunting and saying "i can kill any animal with this gun. size matters not"

you find a rabbit and kill it with one shot. you find a deer and kill it in two shots. a bear in 4, 5 shots. "the size did not matter. you killed each animal. it just took more effort for some animals then it did for others."

13. Kyle-Katarn_wannabe

Mar 12, 2004
    Thanks for putting my mind at ease Jmaster luke.

14. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    "The only possible hole in the "Size matters not"
    statement is that it would seem that the larger the Jedi, the more Midichlorians.
    The more Midi's,the more powerful one could be with the Force."

Midichlorian count is the amount of midichlorians per cell. Even if there was nothing left of Anakin but his brain he would still have the same amount of power in the force, since each cell left of him would still have 20,000+ midichlorians in it. Thus, a 2-foot tall Jedi can have a higher midichlorian count than, say, a 9-foot tall Jedi.

15. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yoda needs to have a talk with my ex-girlfriend.

16. CommanderConrad

CommanderConrad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2003
  17. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Stay on target.

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.