main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Size matters not....

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Jedi_LS, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Jedi_LS

Master_Jedi_LS Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2009
    Here is something I just thought of. When Yoda tells Luke in Empire Strikes Back that size matters not when using the force then how is it that Force users aren't able to lift larger objects. For instance in LOTF Invincible at the end of the book Luke lifts this HUGE hanger door that is supposed to be about the size of a mountain. Is this because his understanding of the Force is greater then anyone else?s or because others still haven?t over come the idea of lifting something so big is possible?

2. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    I think the issue is concentration. Abilities in the Force are partially limited by your own mind. I don't completely understand it, but I've come to the conclusion that the Force is like a Green Lantern ring; it depends on willpower and concentration. The mind is a muscle, and like any muscle it requires practice to get stronger. A freshly-trained Jedi will not have the ability to focus his concentration to the degree a Jedi Master does. Recall Luke on Dagobah, attempting to lift the x-wing. Flash forward to Invincible, and you have him tossing a huge hangar door. He was always that powerful, but just needed the mental fortitude to focus that power.

3. Eewoco

Eewoco Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2007
    I always thought it was faith based mostly. If you believe you can, you can. If you doubt, you fail. Yoda obviously believed Luke could succeed even though his training was still just beginning or at least that's how I always took it.

4. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I think the point Yoda was making was not so much about "capability" but about world view.

Luke had evaluated the situation as hopeless. it goes right back to "there is no try"...it was a type a resignation, a lack of confidence in the force and yourself.

Remember Yoda's eyes...he was SUPER impressed Luke was moving the X-wing in his first attempt...I suspect if he had gotten it half way out and asked for help, Yoda would've done so and been super proud of his student. Instead, Luke gives up after showing such promise.

There are things that take time to achieve, even in the force...mostly dealing with how well attuned you are to it then the force itself. But to simply resign to the impossible, that is what Yoda's lesson was warning against...don't let the size of mountain size door resign you to failure...yes, maybe you will fail to lift it...but perhaps another solution will come through the force.

"Don't give up" is the real lesson of "size matters not".

5. Master_Jedi_LS

Jan 8, 2009
    I understand all of that. What I was trying to say is why aren't there more Force users that can lift that same door instead of just one (being Luke)? I was asking if you thought that once you get to a certain size is it more about your power in the force or the ability of your mind?

6. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Potentially any Jedi can do what Luke does with the hanger door whether they are 7ft tall or 1ft tall.

7. Master_Jedi_LS

Jan 8, 2009
    I meant a certain size as in a freaking huge object not how tall you are...

8. DarthUr

DarthUr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    My opinion is that differences in "Force power" amount to differences in one's ability to visualize and mentally escape the framework of one's body. Note that the "Force potential" described by one's midi-chlorian count refers to how closely and strongly one can *communicate* with the Force -- how sensitive you are to the "voice of the Force within you" -- and has nothing to do, really, with a total measure of energy or fuel or anything like that.

9. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Take it to the Force thread, this is exactly the reason I created it!

10. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/TheCosmicCastaway/funny%20pictures/or_crook_county_deputy_sheriff_dete.jpg]

Yes sir, officer!

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    No reason to take the mick. This does belong in the Metaphysics thread. The whole point is that, if you have a question about the Force, you can ask it there.

Thus we avoid, say, three million clone threads devoted to similar topics. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.