main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SJRS-Skywalker-Jade Revival Society--locked in order to set up Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by EmilieDarklighter, Dec 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    My muse fled so I won't be able to participate. Heck, she won't even come back on the promise of good pizza and lots of cookies. Still trying to get her to come back for chapter 6 of LoF rewrite as well.......so, I think I'll have to pass because of that.

I'll try to read it if you guys write it.

2. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Never done a round robin...what's involved?

3. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Ooooh, a round-robin! I've never done one--sounds like fun!! :D Count me in, too!

Not to worry, Gabri--I have a Halloween fic for this year, but it's nothing but mushy L/M fun, and cute Solo kids. ;)

4. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Well, I?ve only been involved in one so folks can correct me if I?m wrong, but basically one writer kicks it off by starting the fic and then others writers continue it where the writer before them left off. It can be totally improvised or there can be a loose/basic idea of a plot with details being left up to the individual authors.

The downside is that they can get out of hand, since there isn?t one brain controlling the plot. The one we did years ago in the Mara fan club rambled on and on and on for a hundred pages and was never finished.

My suggestion would be to have a set number of committed writers and each of them only write one chapter. That way, there would be a definite ending in sight, LOL.

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Woo hoo!!!! I'm gonna read that too!!! But I have a great idea not necesarily halloween related but it'd wind up being a hoot. A costume party where couples think they're with one partner and they actually end up being with someone else when they unmask. [face_laugh] This could be during the I'm not going to admit I love you phase or I'm crazy about you but you're the last one I'm telling. [face_laugh] Kinda like Measure of a Man with everyone being crazy together [face_laugh] [face_laugh] But then it all gets sortted out in the end... and every one lives mushily ever after. [face_laugh]

6. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002

*tugs on the hem of shirt and looks up forlornly with huge pitiful eyes*

But Gabriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, do you even KNOW how scary a songfic of L/M to "Tangled Up In Blue" would be?!? :eek: [face_skull] [face_worried]

[face_batting]

7. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    Heh, wow, we're really slacking if the last post in this thread is one of my snarky ramblings, guys. :p

In all seriousness, I know people come back to this thread every once in a while saying it needs more life breathed into it. Maybe it's because I've been spending most of my time in character and ship based threads lately, lurking or otherwise, but I got to thinking about this one. Has anyone else thought of maybe doing a version 2.0 of this thread? With using the Index sock so that more than one person can be responsible for it (be it several people running it at once or passing "runnership" from one to the next when someone steps down)?

I certainly don't mean to step on Emmi's toes in the slightest (not so random aside: come back Emmi! we miss you! :( ). She's done such an amazing job with this thread and the offsite boards, and she is the founder. And I certainly don't want to force the issue if it's something she (or others) don't want. I just thought it might make things easier, more accessable. And this is one of the few remaining threads of its kind not being ran through an Index sock.

Just random suggestions since I'm one of the people who would like to see more life breathed into this thing again. And I for one would certainly be willing to help where I could. :) Heck, I think I signed up to be in charge of author interviews once upon a time. Who knows? :p

Anyone else wanna chime in? Thoughts? Concerns? Random jokes at Gabri's expense? 8-} :p

Edit: spelling :-B

8. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    that's a good idea, Bri. I don't know how Emmi would feel, but if we explained it would be much easier especailly for changing the topics (especially for new challenges) then I think she would be okay with it.

9. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Hey guys--sorry I'm away so much. College is kicking my butt. :p Good news, tho...I'll be home in about two weeks for a month-long break. I'm all about breathing some more life into the SJRS, so here's my proposition. You guys come up with some ideas on how you'd like to revitalize it, and in between now and then I'll create a new thread with an Index sock. :) When I come back I'll look over everybody's suggestions (if you want to PM me a suggestion, that's fine too) and we can make some changes, yeah?

I love and miss you guys!

Emmi

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Woot! Woot!!! Squee!!
    *gigantic sigh of relief* Glad Emmi didn't disappear. Sometimes things get crazy and authors/moderators go away and never get around to coming back again. :( :( What really bites is if they're in the middle of a story!! :p

I'm a strong supporter of the Mara Jade Skyaalker Character Thread, and the challenges there run two months at a time, to generate more discussion and so authors can come up with story ideas and mull them around and post, eventually. :D That way, there's no rush. We've had a Newlywed Challenge, Balladeer Challenge--putting L/M to song :) and an Interview Challenge, where Mara was interviewed by a journalist/reporter. :D :)

Right now, we're dealing with the post NJO era but so far haven't had any entries. So the challenges here could run 1 month, 2 months or there could be an overlapping such that if a topic is popular enough, it can run without a deadline. :D

Question: How do you all see the topics/challenges differing from those on the caracter type indexes? Should it concentrate on a particular era or branch into both Saga and Beyond? [face_idea]

11. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Sounds like a plan, Emmi! :cool:

IIRC, one of the recent Mod updates requested that all new character/ship/index threads be created with a sock so that management of the thread could be passed on to someone else without having to create a whole new thread each time, so it'll be a good thing. [face_peace]

I?ve noticed that quite a few of the character/ship threads use their Indexes as discussion threads. As it is now, we have this SJRS thread and the separate Luke and Mara Index. We might get more Index submissions and visibility if we combine them ? I?ve only been able to update the Index every couple of months lately and the sock gets very few submissions and sometimes none at all, which means we have to go hunt them down ? but that?s just a suggestion. Either way works. :D

Jade_eyes: Question: How do you all see the topics/challenges differing from those on the caracter type indexes? Should it concentrate on a particular era or branch into both Saga and Beyond?

I don?t think there?s much difference, really. The individual Luke and Mara threads can have Luke only or Mara only or Luke/Other, Mara/Other challenges, whereas SJRS is strictly L/M. I wouldn?t think we should limit to a particular era. In addition to canon era fics, there are plenty of wonderful AU fics where L/M get together in the Saga era. Was that what you were asking? Maybe I misunderstood.

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Jedi Trace posted: I don?t think there?s much difference, really. The individual Luke and Mara threads can have Luke only or Mara only or Luke/Other, Mara/Other challenges,
    whereas SJRS is strictly L/M. I wouldn?t think we should limit to a particular era. In addition to canon era fics, there are plenty of wonderful AU fics
    where L/M get together in the Saga era. Was that what you were asking? Maybe I misunderstood.

No, that clears it up fine. :D

That means we could have a challenge here and the Mara thread... so more fics to devour--yay!!!!!! Squeeee! [face_dancing]

13. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    Word, yo. :cool: That's what I was thinking myself. I personally think it would be less hassle just to use the index sock already in place. :)

As for suggestions, I would just be ripping off other threads' ideas because I lack any kind of originality myself. :p But I can toss em out there:

-I know Atty just revamped the A/P index thread and it looks amazing. She's used some really cool ideas like picture dividers between author listings and a Story of the Month feature. I believe the L/M index already uses pic dividers, yes (correct me if I'm wrong)? Could that maybe be moved over if we decide to combine the two?

As for the SotM feature, if we decided to use that, I think there are several ways it can be used. You could use it to highlight older stories (classics! :D also my personal preference :p ), you could use it to showcase current works, you could use it to highlight stories that were brand new(started in) for that month, a combo of those, etc.

-Another thing that's really popular are author interviews. I know a lot of threads do them. If we did these, I don't think newer stories would have to be used in a SotM feature. They'd get exposure here as well as in general index updates.

-I think the way Trace has set up the Mara index is a great model. I think the bi-monthly time between topic switches allows a LOT of time for discussion. It also is very fluid within its structure; convo can meander at will. And I like the idea of the challenge corresponding with the topic, but again, that's me personally.

-Another good setup is the J/J index thread. It's very efficient over there with different tasks being handled by different people. I think a multi-management team working together really lessens the burden of work(has to get OUT of college course mode :p ). I think that's something else that has options within it, too, if we take this route. You could have different people responsible for things and have it all come together for one big update, or you could have "mini" updates within the timeframe (update/SotM a beginning, interview middle, something else end, etc). Since I've given it every other time, I'll say the former of those (mass update) is my personal preference.

So yeah! :D Those are the ones I lurk in mostly, but obviously there are a ton of other index/topic threads out there. Anyone else have any examples, personal preferences ( :p ), original ideas ( [face_dancing] )?? Or more thoughts on what's already been said? :D :D

14. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    Great Ideas Bri!

I'm not sure if the L/M Index is separated by pictures......but that's a good idea. And I love the Story of the Month idea. Highlight a lesser known author's story - more exposure, more readers, etc.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Bri:

Great idea about Story of the Month!!!! I'd like to feature two: a new one and a classic!!
    As for author interviews, these could be tied to the current SOTM or not.
    Question: Where are the author interviews? I'd love to read some of them! ('specially for JadeLotus, RedGold or Vadey, if they were interviewed!) I'd also like to have a timeframe set up so that everyone could submit a question for the interviewer to ask, besides their own list of questions. :) :)

16. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Marvelous suggestions, Bri! :D

I can address the questions about the L/M Index.

It had fallen into disuse two years ago and I took it under my wing. It?s not as spiffy as some, but here?s the link: Luke and Mara Index.

Since we?re discussing a revamp, it?s probably a good time to mention that I won?t be able to devote as much time to it in the future and the idea of different tasks being handled by different people sounds wonderful. [face_blush] I have the Index backed up on my computer, so it won?t be hard to merge or move it ? whatever we decide to do.

The A/P index does indeed look fantastic. We L/M?ers have similar content, but it is spread out between the L/M Index, the SJRS thread here, and the SJRS off-site board.

Story of the Month and Author Interviews are good ideas. I?d also like to suggest Art challenges, since we have some artists and folks talented with photoshop here. [face_peace]

The bi-monthly challenges are working well for the Mara thread. We?ll need someone to volunteer to compose the challenges and keep the thread up and running for that format. ;)

I did make pics to separate the sections - professional works from the comics as well as original fan art. The Index has grown substantially and is actually to the point of needing to be broken into smaller segments, so this is a good time to be discussing it.

We?ve only done one, with Emmi, posted in this thread on 3/16.

17. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Trace posted:

Since we?re discussing a revamp, it?s probably a good time to mention that I won?t be able to devote as much time to it in the future and the idea of different
    tasks being handled by different people sounds wonderful.
    blush I have the Index backed up on my computer, so it won?t be hard to merge or move it ? whatever we decide to do.
    That leads to a few questions which may be duh! questions but here goes! [face_laugh]
    1. To streamline the L/M Index with SJRS or the MJS Thread, authors would have to know to send their stories into the sock to be added to the list. Would this need to be done as one mammoth update every other month for stories that started recently or could they include those that have been running for a while but were not added?
    2. For the person handling the challenge and the entries, when do these need to be put on the top of the thread? As they come in or after all are in?
    3. Do the challenge responses when listed all together with their links need to be in the broken link format? :)
    I'm trying to work my mind around the broken link format so I can nom some stories in the awards. I'd hate to do it wrong and the nom get lost in the shuffle. :D
    If there are some non-webmasterish type tasks that need handling, I'd like to help out once the tasks are decided on? @};- :) :cool:

19. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Just peeking in...some great ideas, here! Trace, I don't think I ever thanked you for taking up the Index...so in case not, thank you very much. My life has just gotten more hectic since then, and it was pretty bad two years ago, lol. :p Anyway, great ideas all, keeping you in my thoughts!

Brisha...you better behave, woman. :p

20. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Emmi: [face_blush] No thanks necessary, gal! L/M is the heart and soul of my fanfic fandom, and it has truly been my pleasure. [:D]

On the profic front, I just finished Tempest last night and highly recommend it!! [face_peace]

21. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I second your recommendation on Tempest! I really enjoyed it. :)

22. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm awaiting my copy. I had to order it in hardbound. It's a weird thing with me. :p

23. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Where are you getting it hardbound? Is it a book club edition? I've only seen it in paperback.

24. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    A revamp! :D

I personally think (obviously) that combining an index with discussion, challenges, etc. is the best way to go. The index by itself has nothing to keep people posting in it (what are they going to say? 'Hey, thanks for updating?') and so the thread falls, making it harder for readers to find, which eliminates the whole point in having an index to begin with.

I also think that the index should be updated with every fic, regardless if the author PMs it to the sock. Most authors don't think to send a PM (I know I never did and somehow my wee little L/M vig is indexed ... heehee) and so your index patrons could be missing a lot of great fics if they are just looking at your index. I've been using the New Story Index, and so far the indexing has gone surprisingly quickly.

Perhaps if you guys decide to go that route, we can work out a deal. I give you the L/M fics I find in the Saga while you give me the A/P fics you find in Beyond? That would help the both of us. We could affiliate ;)

Anyway, I did a survey before revamping the A/P index. Here. Maybe the answers can be useful to you guys, too.

25. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    Erm, what'd I do? :confused:

Atty! Heya [:D] I coulda swore I answered that A/P survey. :oops: It's probably sitting in a word .doc on my harddrive somewhere. :p But I really like the idea of user input. I think it makes a thread more accessable to everyone involved. :)

Anywho...

Tempest is getting a lot of praise from what I've seen. Damn it. :p Getting into that would mean having to finish Bloodlines. :_| :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.