main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Sketch of a Day (Vader raises Leia on Coruscant. One-chapter. AU)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by sethnakht, Aug 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sethnakht

sethnakht Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2002

Title: Sketch of a Day
    Author: sethnakht
    Timeframe: post-Ep III, pre-ANH
    Characters: Vader, young Leia
    Genre: father, daughter
    Keywords: AU, vignette
    Summary: Vader raises Leia on Coruscant. One-chapter.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sketch of a Day

[ by sethnakht ]

His daughter stood on the balcony, in a white schooldress and cape. The wind caught in them and tugged, unfurling the fabric, cracking it, framing her small body and making her regal and grand. Unwittingly she presented a picture of great irony when compared to him, for his entire assemblage was black. Always was. And yet she was unquestionably his daughter. The curl to her lips, that said she knew exactly what you were thinking and held you in contempt for it, the proud tilt to her chin, the cunning gleam in her dark eyes--unquestionably, she was familiar with power, and ready to use it. Imperial citizens and military men trembled before her step, just as they did his.

He was proud of her.

She turned from the balcony edge, grinning in the wind. Behind her, Imperial Centre spread out in horizon-stretching patterns of starscrapers, steaming parts-factories, soaring, twisting tall mansions. An orange sunset had tinted the shiny durasteel--the glinting ships, taking off, landing, caught in levels of traffic--a yellow-grey.

'Father!' she gasped, for he had just returned home. He noticed the wonders the fierce wind had done to her complexion; how unusually alive she looked as she abandoned usual grace and raced to him at the door. Where had her composure gone? he wondered, as she skidded to a halt before him (knowing better than to expect gestures of warmth but, strangely, seeming to expect them anyway), eyes glowing, bouncing impatiently on her feet.

He studied the picture of her red face, her dark hair untangling from its buns, her white cape swelling before the orange sun. She was so clearly excited to see him he decided to be indulgent.

'Hello, Leia,' he said, and she straightened her child's-body, trying and failing to be calm. 'I see you have kept busy without me.'

Leia's face was wide, innocent. 'Hardly, Father. I was merely sampling the view from the sixty-second floor, hoping to catch sight of your shuttle.' Her voice was breathless; her lips twitched slightly, and he caught her secretive look of pleasure. 'I saw the Devastator in orbit, at any rate.'

He felt a stirring of pride, and reached out a gloved hand, resting it gently on her dark head. The sorrow was mostly gone now--her resemblance to her mother failed to hurt him as much as it had. Leia was, in truth, nothing like her mother had been.

A beep resounded from behind him, inside the castle. He lifted his hand and turned around.

'Ah, that would be Artoo, telling me to finish my homework,' she said quickly. 'It's not important.'

'You will not delay your work,' he said. 'Go and finish it.'

Leia's face darkened. 'It's only maths,' she said. 'And you just got home, I--'

'Finish your work first. I also have business to occupy me.'

Leia nodded, although he sensed disappointment coming from her in waves, and she had sullenly averted her gaze. 'I'll be done before you reach your rooms,' she said in a last attempt to sway him, as they entered the shaded indoors.

'I will check every one of your answers,' he replied, 'so you had better do a good job.'

Leia smiled. He watched her glide off to the lift (the study was on a lower floor), wondering why it was she so obviously enjoyed being with him, when with everyone else she was as cold and indifferent as a piece of Alderaanian ice. He never paused to consider that he, too, was the same way.

Maths was not a difficult subject for the daughter of Darth Vader--not when she had been receiving lessons in mechanical engineering since the age of six. She finished her work quickly, as promised, and was soon standing at the door to her father's quarters. Her appearance had tamed since her excursion outdoors--Father appreciated cleanliness and order, and

2. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    This story is so abstract I love it! A very amusing tale. I love how you have portrayed Leia. I hope there is more to this!

Idea: Maybe Han could be a rebel!

3. Diabla

Diabla Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2002
    Ahh! This was so great! You HAVE to write more, you're Vader was so in character it was amazing. You have great talent, and I hope you will write more soon :D

- Dia

4. sethnakht

Dec 14, 2002
    Hananiah and Diabla: Thanks. I really doubt I'll continue this, but I'm glad it seemed in character.

5. sethnakht

Dec 14, 2002
    One up for this. :)

6. jendiggity

jendiggity Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    hello :) i really liked this; i thought it was very well written. i liked the abstract-ness, too. wish you were continuing!

7. Jediprincess930

Jediprincess930 Jedi Master

Aug 5, 2003
    Hi. This is such a cool story u need to continue it. Maybe add some Luke into it. Can't wait for the rest.

8. NamelessAlien

NamelessAlien Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 25, 1999
    Oh, Sethnakht! This is SOOOO good! You write excellent Vader/Leia.

I wonder what the Empire had been like, with her on their side instead of the Rebellion, and working as the Softer Face of the Empire?

I'm an ardent admirer of your talent. I envy you for it. [face_devil] I wonder, could I wheedle you into writing more Vadey, and feeding BC? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.