main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Skies of Arcadia: Legends (for Gamecube)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by JEDI-SOLO, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I can't believe this! I love the first game as a matter of fact it is my favorite game yet. Well today I was looking in GameNow mag and the last page is devoted to this new game. It says it will be out next month.

The screens look great and the all new Valuan airships look bad ass! There is a new character with purple hair in one shot.

Still though I wonder what happened to Prince Enrique(sp) if the Valuan are the enemy again?

Discuss.....

2. DarthLuxor

DarthLuxor Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    This is not a sequel. More a director's cut, with new characters thrown in to tie it into a sequel. I'm sure they added a few new weapons, ruins, and surprises but it's not a sequel.

3. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I love SoA!

Best RPG ever!

BUT, it is not a new game. It is not a sequel at all.

It is a remake of Skies of Arcadia.

It will boast these additions:

- Improved graphics

- Some new characters, enemies and allies

- Extra dungeons and side quests

- Besides the "discovery" system, the game will in additon include the "wanted" system, in which there will be wanted posters all over the game and you can go out and track the criminals for a bounty. Optional, like the discoveries, but still more fun added.

- Three characters who look like evil versions of Vyse, Fina and Aika. They will be an added nemesis to your quest (sub quests) and will also try to take out your discoveries and beat you to your wanted criminal hunts.

- The DC version had insane random monster encounters, but on the positive side, it made you level up faster. But in this version, the random battles were toned down, making it slower to level up. And on top of that, now all mosnters in the game will get stronger when ever you level up. Making it even more of a challenge.

But, I loved the DC version so much I am going to pick this baby up. Anyway, the extra stuff makes it worth it.

4. DarthLuxor

Dec 20, 2000
    I'm undecided as to whether to pick in up. Isn't Xenosaga due around the same time.

5. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Yep DL Xenosaga and PanzerDragoon! I will have all three of them.

NOT a SEQUEL???? That sux, and I was all pumped up!! Will there be a sequel? With all that new stuff it sounds like an entirely different game. I like the way the new Valuan ships look too!

6. DarthLuxor

Dec 20, 2000
    Like I said, the new characters tie Skies 1 into Skies 2 which probably won't be out for acouple of years.

7. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    >>>And on top of that, now all mosnters in the game will get stronger when ever you level up. Making it even more of a challenge.<<<

Now that kind of sucks. That was one of the many things I hated about FFVIII. I love leveling up and then kicking the snot out of the low level beasties that gave me problems at lower levels. If the monsters are at the same level as you then it makes the leveling up pointless.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

8. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah I agree....

That is what I love to do, walk or travel around for hours at a time leveling up. Then going back and like RBE said kicking everythings ass with ease...

9. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I've been contemplating getting Skies of arcadia when it comes out.

What I've heard of SOA sounds great, and fun, and all, but still...since Aidyn chronicles for N64 I'm hesitant on getting a RPG on a Nintendo system.

I think I'll take a wait and see stance on it.

10. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    SOA was great on Dreamcast. Except for the many complaints of the shear magnitude of random battles, there weren't any complaints.

I spent a lot of time playing this game, however, the extra material does not seem like enough for me to buy it again and spend another 50 hours of play to do the same thing. I doubt the main storyline will change at all. The new sidequests alone are not worth it for me.

11. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    What they mean by the mosnters level up, I'm not talking about fighting a silly blooper or squid thing and getting the crap kicked out of you.

But while I love the game, one of the problems, due to the insane random battles, is that halfway through the game you got way to strong and I kicked the snot out of everything unless it was a boss battle or ship battle.

This game is a classic and a great one to boot. Best RPG of all time, right behind Phantasy Star 2, in my opinion.

I love it.

12. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I agree that the game got easy about half way through. If there weren't so many random battles, you would not have leveled up so quickly though and destroyed everything. So the random battles complaint isn't just about them being annoying, but it forced the game to be easier too. I don't remember ever actually going out specifically to level up. Just looking for discoveries got your level way to high with the experience bonus and all the fighting during the search.

13. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    On a side note, was it just me, or was the trip across the southern ocean just a major pain in the butt with all the random battles.

14. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I don't remember the Southern Ocean being all that bad. But then again it has been a while since I played the game....

I went to that area with all of the loopers. That is where I would spend hours at a time leveling up. Those things were so hard to hit though. So I would just use Vyse's (spirit points) and take them all out on the first move. Talk about alot of EXP. points and money for just one move.

15. DarthLuxor

Dec 20, 2000
    The random battle rate didn't bother me. The fact that is started with 8 enemies and 4-6 ran off before you get to them. Thanks for the experience on 2 guys when I had 4 others almost dead. Enemies shouldn't run in a RPG unless it's story related.

16. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Don't agree. It keeps things more varied. It makes you act quicker because you know which ememies duke it out and which ones are more likely to run, such as the loopers who give good exp but love to run off.

It makes you think fast and try to come up with the best combos so that none of them will run. After I got the hang of the best cobos for certain enemy groups, very little times did they run off on me.

Unless it was the silver looper, which are very very tricky. Those guys give the most exp in the game, but are very very slippery guys.

The way I see it, if you can run, so can an enemy.

17. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    That is why I always used Vyse's strongest special attack for the first move.

I am really looking foward to this release. I don't even care that isn't a sequel anymore.

18. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Does anyone know the exact date of release?

19. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I don't think I can stomach going through all those bloody monotonous dungeons again... But then again, it's a beauty of a game/story.

20. DarthLuxor

Dec 20, 2000
    EBGames has it scheduled to ship on January 28th. I read the preview in EGM, and it really started to get the blood boiling. I may have to pick it up after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.