VIDEO Skies of Arcadia (Nostalgia time!)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Skywalker_T-65, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Skywalker_T-65 Force Ghost

star 6
    Ahh...my favorite game. Its been awhile since I played SoA, but I got back into it recently (got to love emulators).

I first played this game (Legends technically) back in 2003, and I've never looked back. Ever since then, despite newer games coming out, Skies has remained my all-time favorite video game. I'll be the first to admit it hasn't aged well, but the story and gameplay still keep me coming back. And there is something fun and rewarding about getting all the Discoveries and Treasure Chests in the game, since it gives you access to weapons that make the final boss battles SO easy that it isn't even funny.

Currently at Rixis...and I almost forgot how haunting the music and environment is there. Old game or not, it still gives a distinctly, 'abandoned city' feel, that most games don't match.

So, anyone else ever play this game?
    Last edited by Skywalker_T-65, Oct 6, 2012
  2. Evil_King_Wiggins Force Ghost

star 6
    I played it awhile back, it was quite fun. I don't think I was ever able to finish it though, life kinda gets in the way of some things.

Evil.
  3. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I stumbled across Skies of Arcadia 8 or 9 years ago when I was looking for something a traditional JRPG. Fit what I was looking for, but I wasn't really overwhelmed by it. The whole air pirates, airship battles, floating worlds element was kind of cool. But most of the game was way too easy, the dialogue too cheesy, sappy, whatever, and too many of the plot points seemed overly derivative (largely of other JRPGs, but I suppose that's what I get for looking for such a particular game). Of course, I'd probably play it again, if I could find the time.

Amazing.
  4. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I have the GCN port in my backlog. Epic RPGs tend to be something I've put off due to not wanting to start something that deserves a larger investment of time. Still, this one in particular has been tempting (alongside Tales of Symphonia, but for different reasons), as it always tends to land on the short list of the best Dreamcast titles.
  5. Skywalker_T-65 Force Ghost

star 6
    I've beaten it in <30 hours before.:p

Then again, my first file took closer to 60, so its probably just the result of beating it so many times I don't remember the number. And being as I'm a huge fanboy of the game, I'm glad to see people still interested in playing it.