Skillfull CGI artist wanted...

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Mushiman, Jul 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. Mushiman Jedi Youngling

star 3
    If anyone is interested in 'flying' a Tie fighter across a scene for my movie i'd really apreciate it.

I've been trying myself but i'm trying to run before i can walk.

Here's a still of the shot in question.
    I have an AVI file zipped up with the DV footage (720x576 pixels 25fps PAL) about 3 seconds long.
    This could be easy for a skilled CGI artist & full credit will be given.

Please post here if your interested :)
  2. Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Is the camera still in the shot or does it move? Either way, I'll take a crack at it. Contact me at your discretion, adresses in my bio.

Carl
  3. datoolman Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I will take a crack at it too if you have the model ready and want to zip it and the background up and send it to me.

D
  4. Pixelito Jedi Padawan

star 4
    awww... it looks like you've used a fisheye. it's not THAT difficult to mimic, but it certainly puts a thorn in the hide of whatever animator is doing this.
  5. VagrantChrisX Jedi Youngling

I didn't know it was that easy to get some professionals to do some 3D animation for a short film? what if I gave you a film of me fighting thin air? is it possible to put some droids in there being destroyed and turn to rubish?
  6. Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling

star 3
    If the droid are floating ones and just have to explode (meaning leaving no debris behind) its fairly easy to do. Although, to respect the starte of this topic, you may want to start your own thread about what you want, helps evade confusion too.

Carl
  7. Mushiman Jedi Youngling

star 3
    OK guys,

Here's the link to the footage.
    The Tie fighter i was going to use was the Imperial TIE Interseptor by James R. Bassett from the Sci-fi 3D site (full credit given of course) :)
    The TIE needs to fly by from left to right & must start & end completely out of shot - so i can put the 'peice' of footage back in a longer clip.

The best thing to do is post a link to a quicktime version or something but the final version has to be the same res as the footage.

Sorry for sounding a dickhead but i want this shot to look cool, thats why i'm not doing it! :D

Any questions, just fire away.
  8. datoolman Jedi Youngling

star 3
    6.72 MB download at a rate of 1.3KB/sec over DSL... estimated DL time 1 Hour 50 Minutes.

I can give you an app and you can just upload it directly to my server... It would be much quicker :)

D
  9. Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Whoa, that clip is a bit large, don't ya think? I guess that if we send it in DivX, it'll still be useful to you somewhat, cause I don't have the ability to give you such an enormous clip over the net. [face_plain]

Anyhoo, doing it now.

Carl
  10. Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Ok, I got this lil' comp done. The interceptor's movement seems a bit jittery but it can be easily fixed, so no problem.

Here it is:

Tie Interceptor Flyby

Carl

EDIT: Just wanted to explain the clip a bit. Its sorta a slow flyby. At first, the Interceptor very clearly is stearing round the pole. Maybe to scan the area better? Maybe finishing the last tight turn of a scout flight path? We shall probably never know...
  11. Mushiman Jedi Youngling

star 3
    That looks great, carl :D

I really could do with the full DV res version though. Can't you upload it to my server if i gave you the password?

Datoolman - I appreciate your interest in the clip but i dont want to make this a competition (i'd never be able to choose the best), however if you (or anyone else) want a stab at the scene then please do so & i'll include them as outtakes on the DVD version of the movie.(you could do some thing like the TIE crashing :D - that would be funny!)

Once again thanks for the interest & effort guys :D
  12. Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Sure thang. Contact me as you wish.

Carl

PS: Aint no thaang but a chicken waang ;)
  13. muphicks Jedi Master

star 2
    lo,

the compositing looks good, but the tie looks a little small to me considering how close to the camera it is. Also since we have a person walking by to compare the scale with.

Anyhow, I like the compositing :) Maybe add a few shadows as well for the finishing touch?
  14. Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yeah, I thought about the shadows, but seeing as there is a railing to and all I just let it be, because recreating these would be a hell of a job.

Anyway, I have everything rendered and the Director has given me his due. So unless he thinks theres a problem with the scale, the shot is finished. :)

Carl
  15. Darth_Gehenna Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Here's my half-decent attempt.

Clickie.
  16. Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Gehenna, thats great! What program are you using? The only problem I might see is that the lighting is a bit off. Needs to be more of an ambient gray.

THe compositing is great and the shadows are well done. Did you recreate just the (bridge) or anything else?

Last comment, Mushiman said the TIE should fly from left to right. I don't think your variation will matter much, but you never know if the direction influences something in the story. Ok, so it seems farfetched but you never know :)

Good job anyhoo.

Carl
  17. Mushiman Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I agree with carl. Gehenna, that was pretty cool.
    The TIE has nothing to do with the story - i just thought it'd look cool (because i like Tie fighters)if it flew from left to right on that peice of footage (because thats what i was trying to do).

Now this is not fair :( I like both versions but can only use one for my movie (in that part anyway) Carl was the first person to respond to the message - so i think he should have his version in the movie, however i'm thinking that it might be cool to include a couple more of these effects in the film - but i don't know.

I'll render the movie in quicktime & post a link to it. If you think any parts would look good with any CGI stuff in it then let me know which part.

EDIT- Forget the above idea - my server is down & i can't upload the film :(
  18. Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Is the Film even SW then? Either way, whats the deal? These CG shots you speak of would be sort of like Cameos or something like that?

Carl
  19. Mushiman Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Here's a link to the original edit of the movie.
    Here's the 'deal'....
    I decided that i didn't like the above version of the film, i rushed it because i wanted to see the finished version :(
    After re-editing & applying more music to it, i thought it'd be good to put a Tie fighter flying by near the end of the movie so people would wonder why it was there & also think WOW i didn't expect that!

The reason it's a Tie fighter & not a helecopter etc. is because of a Lightsaber fight in the film - a Starwars reference.
    Also one of the characters in the movie dies, or does he - he might be in the Tie fighter!

This is as close to a StarWars 'FanFilm' i can get because i simply don't have access to good locations, props & costumes. Also i have one friend who would be up for it but moved too far away (the guy in the film with the long hair - he was on holiday when we shot the above movie) & i have another friend who is always too buisy.

So you could say this was my crap attempt at a Fanfilm - the 10th episode of a series i have been filming since 1994!

Sorry for the long & boring post guys. I hope this made sense :D
  20. Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling

star 3
    NO! Im not getting anywhere near Realmedia!

Carl
  21. Mushiman Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Jesus H. Christ! What is wrong with RealMedia - AOL automatically plays the stuff.

Well the server is still down so i can't even get access to your Tie flyby, carl.
    And i can't upload a quicktime version either :(

I'll post a link ASAP for a QUICKTIME version of the movie. ;)

Mushi :D
  22. Mushiman Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I managed to get your Tie flyby & placed it in with the other footage but when i test encoded it, it rendered WHITE! :(

I'm thinking i might upload some other shots for someone to have a crack at - i have some footage i could use like a pan from the sky - i could reverse this & it would become a pan up to the sky - this could be used to show the Tie taking off!! :D

I'll work on the shots & upoad 'em when there done.
  23. Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Hmm... I'll try and get you another render of that clip.

I still don't see the point of having the TIE in there though. Don't get carried away ;)

Carl
  24. Mushiman Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I know what your saying Carl, but i've thought of an idea...

****A LITTLE COMPETITION****

The guy who falls in the water at the end of the movie does not die - we're gonna make some more movies you see. He escapes in a Tie fighter - shouting i'll have my revenge etc. - like the Inspector Gadget cartoons.

Anyways, after the credits have rolled there is this footage of the Tie fighter taking off & flying over the weir & into the distance down the canal.

The footage is only compressed for you to get an idea of the footage to place the Tie fighter over.

Here is a storyboard thingy i've done to help. (PAN)= panning camera shot.

I would like suggestions on how to compress the DV footage i have, without loosing much/no quality, for use in this project.

If anyone is interested, post here and i'll upload the footage for you to have a crack at. ;)

The winner will get their name on the credits & a copy of the DVD version when we put it onto DVD.(the DVD will have more footage than just the movie - outtake etc) :D
  25. moonz74 Jedi Youngling

star 2

Cant get last two links to work.

Moonz
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.