main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Skillfull CGI artist wanted...

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Mushiman, Jul 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mushiman

Mushiman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2002
    Sorry, The crappy server has been playing up today :(

Please keep trying - thats all i can suggest.

Mushi :D

2. moonz74

moonz74 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 24, 2002

Will do....If it helps you could e-mail the clips to me and ill post em.

Moonz

3. Mushiman

Jul 8, 2002
    Thanks Moonz,

It seems to be working now :D

I know alot of people of this forum get anoyed when competitions are not thought out. Well here's some rules....

* The model must be a Tie Interceptor - The one mentioned above from Sci-fi 3D is fine.

* The compostition must include shadows where nessesary.

* The closing date will be 1 week from the start date (Yet to be confirmed) No later than the last week in August.

Please post here if your interested in the comp & tell me what footage is best - quicktime, avi etc.

4. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    just pointing out... ur shots are confusing...

ill use your story board as an example...

in frame 1-4 ur panning right then suddonly on frames 5 and 6 ur going the other direction.. and that is very confusing.. its not clear as to where the tie is supposed to be going...

anyway as for my version of ur clip :p im picky and i have to go rerender it so its colors better match ;)

5. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Dangit, now I have to camera match the whole thing... Sorry mushiman, but I have already many other projects to do. I even had them while I did the Interceptor clip because it was just something short.

Sorry, but I'm quite busy and won't be able to try at this next one as it would envolve cutting up the clip and using camera tracker in your footage, whihc is hard. See, what camera tracker does is look for points on the footage to help the 3D camera move in unison with it. THe second segment of your last footage is OK because it has that building and you can use its corners as tracking points, but the others dont have anything that visible to aid in camera tracking. Also, the pans are don much to far, I think.
    I'd like to do this, but as I said, I have other things to attend to, sorry.

Carl

6. Mushiman

Jul 8, 2002
    Hey, no problem carl ;) , i appreciate what you did with the other clip & i don't know how difficult this shot is as i have no clue when it comes to 3D stuff - all i can do at the moment is Fly the Tie fighter across a blank background :(

Lots - Did you watch the footage? When the direction changes the camera angle changes to the other side of the canal. If this shot is too hard/stupid just let me know cause, like i said, i don't have a clue when it come to 3D :D

7. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    well this solution would envolve reshooting .. if u dont mind that :p to help the cg guys out there place very visible markers in view of the camera (like a really bright colored tennis ball or something..) altho it is possible to do it without any markers .. its harder that way :) as for your canal.. well maybe im just blind :) besides i dont know the location well enough to know that u went to the other side of the canal :p maybe u can place the camera a little better so its more apparent that ur other shots were from the opposite sides of the canal

8. Mushiman

Jul 8, 2002
    I know what your saying, Lots.

The problem is - i can't re-shoot the footage as i don't have access to the location & the 3CCD camera that was used.

Do you think i should scrap this idea?

9. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    well ur shots are fairly steady.. and basically the camera doesnt REALLY need to turn or move any in the cg scene.. its not impossible to do.. and since the camera doesnt shake too much its not as difficult as u'd think to manually match the cg with the live action...

anyway here's my bit (i just did the shoter clip cuz im lazy and playing around with compositing .. figuring this would be good practice :)) ... granted it moves a bit slow.. but i didnt feel like fixing the timing..

here's the link

10. Mushiman

Jul 8, 2002
    Lots, i cant seem to watch the video :(

What codec did you use?

11. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    divx

12. Mushiman

Jul 8, 2002
    I've got DivX 4 :(

I'm just downloading DivX 5.2 :)

Hope it works ;)

13. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    should

its encoded with 5...

14. Mushiman

Jul 8, 2002
    Yes it worked! I liked that but, the Tie started on screen so if i used the clip the tie fighter would suddenly appear as the footage is of me walking across the weir.

Otherwise i liked it alot :)

15. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
  16. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
    Lots, he means that the fighter should be off-screen to begin with. Imagine this clip in-film, it wouldn't do to cut straight to a scene where a TIE has suddenly appeared, would it? Thats what he means.

Carl

17. Mushiman

Jul 8, 2002
    Thanks Carl :D

18. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    but it doesnt just suddonly appear...?

if u take into account that the tie is flying thru that longer version of the clip.. and then over the bridge.. in the clip i had.. it wouldnt just appear...

19. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
    Doh! Not just appear, but fly in from off-screen. If that was the first TIE scene, it'd have to fly into scene.

Carl

20. Mushiman

Jul 8, 2002
    Here's a link to the longer version - include the Tie Fighter that Carl did.

As you see the clip is longer than the one used for compositing the Tie fighter on to.

The Tie fighter starts off screen so that it can merge with the rest of the clip ;)

This is so to save pointless rendering of footage - not to mention file size.

21. Mushiman

Jul 8, 2002
    OK, since no one is intersted in this competition, i've decided to cancel it & do it myself ;)

I don't mean the above in a big headed way - but i've decided that to do is to learn :D

Please see the other post to see my effort.

Thanks again for all those who helped me out - you know who you are ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.