main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Skills and such

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by TheWampas1138, Apr 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    BYOB mentioned this in another thread and it kind of got lost in the shuffle, so I thought I would bring it to the surface. The only real mention of skills or talents at the meeting were that Mirrax is an accountant, Que is a web guy along with Mauler doing something computer related, and Leia is making her own costume. Other than that, like BYOB I didn't hear much about it. I'm not sure if any skills we have would be useful to the group, but here goes.

Dwayne/He-Wampa: Journalism/Ad student for four years (okay, five), managing editor/layout guy and humor columnist for college magazine, now a statistics/probabilities major at UWM. Other than that, Head Judge on the Minos Cluster mush for far too long, he has ulcers from it.

Marcy/She-Wampa: Now a computer science major, specifically programming. Assistant systems manager at a hospital as well as support staff supervisor (hates it). And she can make a duck noise and whistle with a straw, and a gum wrapper rocket.

So if you need to know the chances of Marcy's finger rocket landing in front of you, or advertisements for straw-created duck noises, we're your team. We could also figure out the standard deviation for the number of times she says "I hate my job" on a given night. So, there you have it.

2. que4zone

que4zone Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2002
    A list of everyone's skills is a good idea. I'm sure it will take some time to find everyone's purpose in The Milwookiee Council, but I'm positive we will succeed. Okay, here's my talents or skills:

- Artist (mostly cartoons and computer graphics)
    - Web Designer (I'm not a pro, but I'm trying)
    - Musician (I may write a song about us one day)
    - Com.Programmer (Don't use this skill too much)
    - Film (I work at Fox Station, some skill here)
    - Smoking (I can blow a few smoke rings)
    - Squirting (I can shoot a stream of water from my mouth)

Hhmmm.. I think that's it.. hmm.. ?? .. Whatever.. hehe..

3. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Well, I majored in film in college (which means I work for a grocery distributor - seems logical) so I've directed, produced, edited, acted, and even written a number of video production. I'm very amateurish with Photoshop (my abilities are limited thus far to bluescreening people and putting them in different locales and lightsaber blades) and also with websites (you can see my group's website, designed by me at www.migaming.net).

Oh, I am also a Space Camp trained astronaut.

-Jeff

4. cruznseal2

cruznseal2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    I think Bishop is the evil twin i was doomed to run into on the Milwookiee fan force (can i say that yet) boards.

Anyway my obsession is film. Writing, directing, filming, editing, breakdowns and all I love it. I've already finished one fan film (soon to be playing at a website near you) and i hope to do another one this summer. I'll admit i'm no George Lucas and at only 16 I?m still inexperienced but i love what i do.

I'm also pretty handy with Photoshop and i have some small experience with 3D studio MAX.

oh and i can do doughnuts in a Volvo (hehe)

5. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    I am a software developer - Mac, Win and Pocket PC. I also have a nice 3 megapixel digital camera and a digital camcorder. This basicly means I have spent a lot of money to get pretty pictures on my computer.

Another item that may be of use is that I have a fast connection to the internet, and an IP address that has not changed in a year. I could set up an FTP account on my machine for everyone to make exchanging files a bit easier. If we decide to do this I will have Tracey mail out the appropriate account information since she has all our addresses.

6. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    I'm a theatre major with some acting and directing ability. I'm currently in a design class, my second so far and I know set construction. I've been a stage manager for about 4 years, so I'm pretty good at orginization. I know how to do laundry and I can do some wardrobe work. I'm a variatable waste land of pop culture trivia. I can (sort of) play the piano. I'm a fast learner so if I don't know how to do something, give me 10 minutes and I'll be able to figure it out. :)

7. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    As most of you know, I write Han/Leia fanfiction (my current fic is 40+ pages and counting!), and I costume on the side as a hobby (although I have considered making this a business--just a flight of fancy at the moment).
    I not only make Leia costumes, but I have a Renaissance gown in the works (roughly 1570s Elizabethan to wear to the RenFaire in Bristol), and I have made costumes for friends as well. I am self-taught, so sometimes my methods are bit unorthodox, but they achieve the correct effect in the end (i.e. spray-painting camoflage on cotton twill for Leia's poncho--I had great fun with that!).

I have a BA in Art History from UW-Milwaukee, and plan to return for a Master's in Library Science (once I get up the energy to want to write papers again). I am currently the AV Librarian for the Milwaukee Art Museum and the assistant book librarian there, also. It's a nice, quiet job, and it keeps my art history skills sharp.

I do have experience in dance (chiefly ballet--10 years training in the hopes of being a dancer; then I got too tall and too rounded in all the wrong places... oh well). I also have acting experience, due to a number of productions I participated in in high school.

I love anything Roman, Medieval, Celtic or Renaissance, and any pre-20th century western art and antiquities (I'd be dangerous if I had been born wealthy!); I'm a massive Anglophile (I drive my boyfriend nuts 'cause I'm an avid watcher of BBCAmerica on cable), and I have a passion for period films, which only serve to fuel my costuming fire. I also cross-stitch and embroider when I have nothing else on my plate, as I find the gentler arts to be relaxing and very fulfilling.

Ok, so that's where my skills lie (and my little ego-boost for today :p ).

8. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Wow. Everyone else has such interesting and useful vocations and hobbies. Then there's me.

I'm a lead person (kind of like a foreman) in a factory, for which I became a fully licensed and certified forklift operator (hey, it's a skill).

My last computer class was in 1988, so I vaguely remember how to program in BASIC and LOGO, but I can stumble my way around a modern PC.

I have an insatiable appetite for trivia and an unusually selective photographic memory (it's not an oxymoron. Think about it). I am able to sit through marathon sessions of Trivial Pursuit (four and a half hours for one game, played to a draw is my current record).

I dabbled in filmmaking in school, but never pursued it (much to my dismay). But I'm very much a film enthusiast.

I've done a lot in music, trying to play any instrument I get my hands on. Not necessarily well, but maybe toot or strum out a song or two. My favorite instrument to play by far is the bassoon. Yeah, most people have no idea what it is.
    Done a bit of singing, too.

I can finish the Crossword puzzle in the Good Morning section on average four days a week (which, for anyone who's been doing them for any long period of time, say, a year, is not much of an accomplishment) and the Cryptoquip pretty much daily. Although I suck at the Jumble.

I am very good at moving heavy objects (thanks to a little thing called genetics, and a big thing called Dad).

I used to speak a lot of French, some Spanish, and a little Latin. The French comes and goes.

This is a recently acquired skill -- I am able to walk out of a Barnes & Noble without buying anything. I'm still working on that at Half Price Books.

I like long walks along the beach and candlelight dinners. Wait. Wrong website.

I play chess badly, but still enjoy it. That's gotta be a skill somewhere. Right?

I am good with my hands and know my way around a workshop. I've done a lot of modeling (model making, that is. I just like saying it that way), and am pretty good at assembling and designing things.

Sadly, that's all there is to me. I feel like a Lenny in a world full of Georges. Such is my life.

Catie

9. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Here goes nothing...

I do web design professionally for a brokerage software company in Brookfield. I'm very familiar with HTML and CSS, and I'm sufficient at stealing and reworking JavaScript code. Company site Personal site Resumé site

I play guitar and bass, and I built my third guitar myself. Primary influences include but are not limited to Aphex Twin, The Cure, Jeff Buckley, Gary Lucas, Mogwai, and Idaho. I record my own music at home, some of which is available online. Electronic Acoustic

My latest vice is riding motorcycles, and I just bought a new one in February. If you were at the MAM gathering, you may have seen it.

I can throw a yoyo around with some amount of skill.

Oh, and I know what a bassoon is.

LeiaYT1300, have you ever had an interest in creating an Imperial Guard robe? Just curious...

10. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    Some of these skills won't apply to Star Wars right now--but once we get more meetings started with various activities, they might:

? Degree in Computer Graphics/Visual Communication
    ? Professional Graphic Designer & Desktop Publisher for a living
    ? German/English bilingual
    ? Professional Ballroom Dancer
    ? Freehand Illustrator/Painter
    ? Type 90 w.p.m. & have various computer software skills
    ? Training as a Facilitator/Instructor & Speaker currently
    ? Musically literate (read/sing/play music)
    ? Professional Recorder

11. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    ... I can't even make those little bullet things... I'm a looooooser.

- Dwayne

12. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    I think I will be an observer in this group. I have no creative abilities except I started to make up stories to fill in the gaps I see in the SW EU. I have a teaching degree but found out I hate teaching high schoolers. I am a stay at home mom who works third shift three nights a week. I cannot play a musical instrument, draw or act. I just have a talent for putting my foot in my mouth. I guess, I will enjoy the fruits of your talents from the sideline. I can talk about Star Wars for hours and not get board and I think I could top Katie in Trivial Pursuit sessions. Everyone else quits before me.

13. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    I'm inclined to acree with Joan on this...I really don't have much to offer. But here goes nothing:

Since I'm in my sophmore year of high school, I'm still figuring out what to do with my future, but at the moment I am an avid journalist/writer (and editor-to-be on my school newspaper), a stage techie for our theater department, an actress, and a singer. I also paint, draw, scuplt, ect...when I find the time.

Web wise, I am a avid RPG fan, and also run my own website She-Geek.Com as well as the website for a Harry Potter RPG. I'm involved with Harper's Tale (A Pern MOO) and a lovely group of folks over at Talker where I hang out in starwars, lotr, and slayer.

I love film in general, but specifically documentaries and anything that comes out of the Ireland-Scotland-England area. In fact, that's where I'm heading next summer, for a two-week school tour ;)

I also have a keen obsession with Ewan McGregor...it's a habit I indulge quite often.

I think that's it. I have very little computer programing experiance, but I'm adept at using Corel PhotoPaint and Dreamweaver 4, as well as Microsoft Publisher.

I work nights as a shelver at the Wauwatosa Public Library, specifically in the Children's deparment. It's a fun job, and it pays for what I need.

I also make a mean smoothie.

14. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    I don't think we all have to have PhD to admit we have our own capabilities, interests and talents. We can all submit something of ourselves if we really want to--it doesn't have to be material. For stay-home moms and still-in-school folks, there's no reason you can't play a part!

15. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    Well, as Fox 6 news told all of viewing SE Wisconsin, I'm a stay at home mom, sorta by choice, sorta not. I have some college Ed. at the time majoring in Public speaking(big suprise there) and writing. Also took Theatre briefly. Love to act, done small stage(very small, church plays and outreach programs)Once I get my creative juices going, I can write stories and write newsletters. I am not afraid to speak in front of large crowds, I'm not afraid to take control of a situation when the need arises, but I think everyone who was there Sat. knows this also. :p Well, I guess that's all I can think of now. Everyone's talents and skills will be of use to us, and whatever things we do, all will have an opinion of what direction we should take. :)

16. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    A small suggestion: you need people not only with skills but also brains and motivation. Organization and diplomacy are tremendous skills that do not necessarily require any training, but you will find that some people have a knack for.

If you don't think you have something to offer, you are wrong. You can always keep the group momentim going by continuing to post, offer helpful advice or suggestions and help out where needed. Groups always need enthusiastic members, people that are willing to donate time, money or just plain show up and say, what can I do to help?.

Ok, I'll hurry out so you can get back to business.

In general, thought this thread is an excellent idea.

~H~

17. Outlander_

Outlander_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    I'm a news photographer at a local TV station by trade, and a still photographer by hobby. I have a digtal camera and an "older" film camera that last saw action when ROTJ came out...the first time. I would be happy to take some pictures of events and whatnot for possible posting on the website.

Use me, abuse me as you see fit. :)

18. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    I agree with Darth from Chicago about just because you assume you don't have a talent or think you haven't been trained in an area useful to the group, doesn't mean you cannot be productive. I think often enthusiasm or zeal can make up for expertise, hobbies can make experts out of anyone. Like for instance, when I met Marajoan she mentioned having the Zahn books but no longer needing them. And she and Sy both commented about trivia, so I was thinking, why not start a Star Wars book exchange. I'll be poked in the eye before RA Salvatore gets a dime for me for his "novel" where he killed off Chewie. I'll buy his other books, but not that one, and probably won't read it. But there are books that I have, that I'm done with, that I would be willing to lend to people, and I'm sure others have the same situation. Sure, it would cost the author a few dimes that one less person bought the book, but why not pass a book around. Secondly, as avid readers, you probably could critique them. I'm sure a lot of people would have said, "Leia falls for some prince? I'm not reading that" about Courtship of Princess Leia. Or I would tell people that I really enjoyed the dialogue in Starfighters of Adamar. Avid readers could start a book review thread. As for trivia, I like it as well and so does Marcy, so I'm sure Joan and Sy could get a trivia game going, either through the boards or in person. I think people can be involved in a group as much as they want to be, and we all have something to lend to one another. I, for one, would like to get tips from Moff Peter on how to make displays. Since Leia is into costumes, and someone else helped out with set designs (Solo I think), that could help out Cruz's film projects. It's all a matter of finding what you are good at, or even better, what you love, and bringing it to the table.

By the way, just as a side note, I did remember something that both Marcy and I are good at that would be useful for FanFic writers or others. From our mushing days, we have a lot of RPG guide books, and have read through many of them several times. We know all about strange species, weapons, professions (IE, bounty hunters, pirates, rebel special forces, etc) and to a lesser extent vehicles. And we can always look something up for people.

19. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    I agree with Darth, as well. So here are some other things I've done:

Member of Reeve Union Board Cinema committee for 3 years
    Chairperson for Cinema Committee this year and next
    Freshman orientation leader for 2 years
    Member Clemans Hall Govt. for 3 years
    VP/Pres. of Clemans Hall for 1 year
    Member Theatre Arts Board for 3 years, secretary for next year

Basically, I've spent all three years of my college being involved in two things or another. It's amazing I find time to sleep! :)

20. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    Let me reintroduce myself her in this forum-

My backround is varied I have attended 2 art schools, MATC in Madison and a special design school in Atlanta, GA.
    My major was art and Design.

?Have worked in the advertising field for over 15 years
    ?Was the lead art directore for Pepsico for the re-release of the original films
    ?Created the Madison Star Wars fan club
    back in 1978-it was operational for 5 years
    ?Was on the con committee for Wiscon, MadMedia, and my own convention Filmcon

21. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    Hey hexer - if you worked with WisCon then you probably know my sister - Jeanne Gomoll.

Small world.

22. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Like I said, six degrees of Eric Larson.

23. mirrax

mirrax Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    As some of you know, I am an accountant and I also have experience in Human Resources/Personnel. I am temporarily retired so that I can stay at home with my kids although I do occasional accounting work and taxes (thank God tax season is over !).

I am currently Servant, Maid, and alltime-Referee to my children. I do lots of volunteer work - school, scouts, church (How Suburbanite that sounds!!) so I stretch my organizational skills to the limits sometimes. I'm better at behind the scenes details - that's the beancounter in me.

I'm willing to help out in anyway, so keep me in mind when it comes to the picky recordkeeping and/or some of the mundane jobs nobody else wants!!

BTW - I make a mean PB&J and I can sing the theme song to "Sponge Bob Square Pants"! :)

24. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Be nautical nonsense something you wish?

25. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    I do know Jeanne very well. We sat up till 12:30 on Saturday discussing my convention, and talking about ideas for it. If it wasn't for your sister and a group of people who believe in what I am trying to do-I quite doubt the con would still be here. I have actually known Jeanne for close to 20 years...It is a very small word Mauler_II. Are you coming down for Wiscon in May?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.