main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Skirmish in an Ancient War (JA)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by greencat336, Jul 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    NO OBI! GO INTO THE LIGHT! THE LIGHT!!!

What? There isn't a light? Ohhhhhhhh! Well then, that explains a lot...

Cool post greencat! Looking forward to more!

2. Jedi-Faith

Jedi-Faith Jedi Master star 2

Dec 21, 2000
    Oooh, interesting! Can't wait for more :D

3. MoonScribe

MoonScribe Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2000
    Hi Greencat! Just came across your story and am intriqued. Looking forward to reading more! Liked the prologue a lot, too

4. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Why do I get the feeling Obi is heading for some bad, Bad, BAD ancient Sith?

5. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Go towards the light! LOL :D

A greater Evil than a Sith is moving against young Obi-Wan . . .

This is one of the scenes that is adapted from the JA books, by the way.

Obi-Wan watched as the scene played itself out in front of him. He saw himself as a boy of twelve, nearly thirteen. He had just defeated Bruck in a lightsaber duel. Now Master Qui-Gon had to see that he was worthy of being his apprentice.

Qui-Gon approached him ?Who taught you to fight like that? Students in the Temple rarely attack so viciously. They learn to defend, to wear one another down. You fought like a very dangerous man.?

?You could teach me better,? the younger Obi-Wan said evenly. The words invited the Jedi to ask Obi-Wan to be his Padawan.

But Qui-Gon merely bowed his head in thought. ?Perhaps I could,? he said slowly. The words caused a hope to rise in Obi-Wan. But only a heartbeat later, it was dashed.

?Or perhaps no one could,? Qui-Gon continued. ?You were angry with the other boy. I sensed the anger in you. A Jedi never is angry.?

Qui-Gon turned and headed for the door.

Twelve year old Obi-Wan stood still, confused. Qui-Gon was not taking him as his apprentice. He was merely giving out advice, the way the Masters always did. Obi-Wan could not let him walk away. He couldn?t see his dream die.

?Wait,? Obi-Wan called out. When Qui-Gon turned, he dropped to one knee as a sign of humility. ?If I was wrong, it only means I need the best teacher. Will you take me with you??

Qui-Gon eyed the boy. He frowned, deep in thought. At last he said, ?No. It is better not to train a boy to become a Knight if he has so much anger. There is the risk he will turn to the dark side.?

With that the Jedi wheeled and strode for the door. In a moment he was gone.

He was right to reject you. You are not worthy of being a Jedi. A voice that sounded much like his own whispered.

?No. Master Qui-Gon did take me as his Padawan.? Obi-Wan contradicted the voice. How that moment when Qui-gon rejected him had hurt. He had thought his last chance to be a Knight was gone.

He only took you as an apprentice because he felt he had to, not because he wanted to.

?That?s not true,? Obi-Wan said. It wasn?t true, was it? Master Qui-Gon hadn?t taken him out of a sense of obligation, had he?

You are afraid to face the truth of it. Qui-Gon never wanted you. With good reason. Full of anger, impatience, and clumsy. Who could possibly want such a failure for an apprentice?

?Qui-Gon wants me as an apprentice,? Obi-Wan stated. But old doubts began to resurface in his heart.

6. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Okay, I'll say it...poor Obi! :( That was so cruel! Is this his own mind...helped along by an evil force no doubt...but his own mind? Or was this intended by the assassins?

7. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    I'm going to try to explain it later in the story, but I'm concerned that it won't be clear even then, so here's a Spoiler --> Obi's soul has be lured away to another plane of existence (think astral travel) That's why when Qui tries to contact him, he seems so far away. Three guess as to which plane of existence and your hint is that its not in an 'upward' direction [face_devil]

8. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Okay, I think I understand. Obi's under attack by devil spirits, so to speak? Will he be getting any "divine" assistance, or is he pretty much on his own here? Just wondering outloud.

9. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Why do I have the sinking feeling that the direction is "down"? Uh oh, I see lots of bad things ahead!

10. ApprenticeM

ApprenticeM Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    You sent our boy down under? Don't see alot of that on the boards...... Now you must post more soon!!!!!!

11. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    :eek: DON'T LISTEN OBI!! QUI LOVES YOU!! WE ALL LOVE YOU!!!

Great post GC! More soon 'k? :D

12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Where's Qui-Gon?? He needs to be by his apprentice... calling to him.

Don't listens to strange voices or self doubts Obi!!!

Hurry with more greencat!! :) :)

13. MoonScribe

Apr 8, 2000
    Poor Obi! Let us hope he does turn away from those voices and listens to the Light.

14. Sarah_K

Sarah_K Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    *gasps as she finally escapes Darth Real Life long enough to read the begining of greencat's newest epic*

P-perfect... begining... greencat! K-k-keep it...up!

Sarah >^,,^<

15. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Help is on the way for Obi, but it will take Qui a little while to arrive. He will have his own obstacles to overcome before he can get to his apprentice . . . and even when they manage to find each other, they will still have the return journey to make.

The head of security had informed Qui-Gon that the would be assassin had a long history of mental illness, but had never before acted in a violent manner. The woman had not yet been able to explain the reason for her attack, other than incoherent ramblings about ?them? telling her to do so. Where she acquired the weapon and poison was another mystery.

The medical personnel seemed no closer to discovering what was wrong with his Obi-Wan. An IV had been attached to his Padawan, providing nutrients and liquids. Test after test had been run on Obi-Wan, on the weapon, the poison samples taken from the weapon?s needles, and any thing else the med personnel could think of. The results were always the same. There was nothing medically wrong with the young man, yet he remained in a coma.

Five days had passed since the attack. Each time Qui-gon reached out to his Padawan over their bond he felt him slip further and further away. Stretching out on the cot that had been brought into Obi-Wan?s room, Qui-Gon at last fell into a restless sleep.

A peaceful green meadow surrounded him. Above him, the night sky was filled with an infinity of stars. A gentle breeze caressed him as the crickets sang. Qui-Gon knew that he was asleep in the med center, but this did not feel like a dream. It felt real. Not a vision, not a glimpse of some far off place, but reality. Somehow more substantial than the room where his Padawan lay.

Next to him stood a figure. Qui-Gon did not remember the being appearing. It was if the being had always been there and he had just noticed the fact. Neither male nor female, but with characteristics of both, the being was dressed in the robes of a Jedi. Rather than the normal browns, the robes were the pure blue of a summer sky. The being radiated an aura of serenity and power.

Without conscious thought, Qui-Gon fell to his knees, bowing his head humbly.

?Rise, Qui-Gon,? the being spoke with a voice that was at once both somber and full of joy.

?What would you have of me?? asked Qui-Gon, respectfully.

?Your Padawan is in great danger. I have been sent to discover your willingness to risk yourself in his rescue,? said the being.

?I will do anything necessary,? declared Qui-Gon.

?Would you be willing to give your life for his?? inquired the being.

?Yes,? replied Qui-Gon without hesitation.

?What about your honor and reputation? Would you risk disgrace?? challenged the being.

?I will do whatever is necessary,? repeated Qui-Gon.

?Would you use the power of the Dark side, if it was the only way to save Obi-Wan??

Qui-gon did not answer for a moment. The being would know the truth of any words he spoke. He loved Obi-Wan more than any other person in his life. If it was the only way to save him? There had been times, when Obi-Wan had been tortured, that Qui-Gon had felt fear, anger and even hate. Times when he had been tempted to use the power of that anger and hate against those who had harmed his Obi-Wan. But always he had found another way to help his Padawan. Now, he was helpless. None of his abilities had been able to make the slightest difference in Obi-Wan?s condition. At that moment he knew that if he pledged himself to the Dark side, Obi-Wan would regain consciousness. Wasn?t he willing to do anything to bring back Obi-Wan?

?No,? whispered Qui-Gon. ?It would not save him, it would destroy him. Better to let him become one with the Force than to give into the Dark side.? Sorrow filled his heart at the realization that he may lose Obi-Wan, but he could not turn to the Dark side. It would be a betrayal of all he and Obi-Wan believed in.

?Do not despair, Qui-Gon,? the being comforted. ?There is still hope. The Light side i

16. ApprenticeM

ApprenticeM Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    [face_shocked] Poor Obi!! GC, we need more ASAP!!!!!!!! 'Spically more Obi torture!! :D

17. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Hmm, I like the part about all mortal beings having free will to choose between Light and Dark. I also liked the way Qui-Gon found it a bit disconcerting to be told that he had the potential for darkness inside him. Go on, Qui-Gon! Trust the Force, and not the illusions you will see and hear! Save Obi-Wan!

18. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Good details and characterizations in this post, greencat! Your stories get better with each one you write! I'm really enjoying this one and look forward to the next post!

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Excellent greencat!!

I loved that now matter how much Qui-Gon wanted to help his apprentice, now matter what he was willing to risk, life or limb that he knew he couldn't use the dark side to save him. I know Obi-Wan would understand and feel the same way!

20. MoonScribe

Apr 8, 2000
    Good post! Looking forward to Qui-Gon's journey

21. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Whoaaaa...what a cool post! Finally catching up with this story!

22. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Finally catching up. What a neat idea this is, I don't think I've seen this before. I hope Qui-Gon can find Obi before too much damage is done.

23. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001

Qui-Gon was stretched out on the cot in Obi-Wan?s med center room. A nurse was checking the various tubes and monitors that had been attached to his padawan.

?I?m sorry. I didn?t mean to wake you,? the nurse said. ?Did you sleep all right??

?Fine, thank you. How is he?? Had it all been just a strange dream, wondered Qui-Gon as he sat up.

?No change, I?m afraid. Would you like me to bring you a cup of kaf, now that you?re awake?? asked the nurse, with a friendly smile.

?Not right now.? Qui-Gon replied. What had he been told by the being in the dream (was it a dream)? Trust the Force, not your ears and eyes.

Qui-Gon reached out with the Force. All around him he felt misery and pain. These were not unusual in a med center, but there was no feelings of relief from pain that was always mixed in. Qui-Gon extended his Force sense downward. He knew that two floors below where Obi-Wan lay was the maternity ward. Feelings of joy always permeated the atmosphere of the maternity wards, overwhelming any feelings of pain that might occur in the birthing. Instead of joy, all he could sense was more anguish.

Turning his focus, he reached out towards his bond with Obi-Wan. It told him that his apprentice was in the opposite direction from the figure that lay on the bed in front of him. The figure appeared to be Obi-Wan but in truth, was nothing more than a copy.

Qui-Gon turned and began to follow the bond that linked him to his Padawan. The halls of the once familiar med center became a confusing maze. The corridors seemed to twist themselves so that he was forced to walk in every direction except the one he wanted.

Perception determines reality, Qui-Gon reminded himself. Closing his eyes, he began to walk forward, ignoring everything except the direction the bond told him would lead to Obi-Wan.

After several steps, long past the time he should have crashed into a wall, Qui-Gon opened his eyes. He was now standing in the governor?s quarters on Telos. At his feet was the body of Crion, dead only a few moments, cut down by Qui-Gon. Before him stood his young apprentice, Crion?s son, Xanatos.

24. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Oooo, Qui-Gon's going to have to face a few demons of his own, apparently. Good post, greencat! I like, I like!

25. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Oooh! So everything here is an illusion, huh? I liked the way Qui-Gon reached out with the Force to discover only pain and misery, even in the maternity ward, and then the way that the corridors were always taking him away from the direction he wanted to go. Good that he shut his eyes and let the Force lead him.

Xanatos? I should have expected him in this story, but I didn't!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.